Anyone else a bit bored.....

He manages to find a way of getting through games, I'm over the moon for Southgate after watching some of the so called lesser sides I think it's safe to say the gap between all teams is narrowing. (Scotland being the obvious exception) 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Just want to say- I’ve always rated Southgate. 👀😁

Could you imagine him at Oldham?

How long would he get playing football like that? Answers on a postcard 

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Could you imagine him at Oldham?

How long would he get playing football like that? Answers on a postcard 

Talking to a mate tonight. It’s awful, it’s horrible. . and yet he’s done better than Robson and Venables, and much than than Sven and Capello. 

All four managers have much better cv’s but none have done what he has. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's almost as if people haven't seen international football before

Not only international but tournament football. It's about just getting through and we have become consistently good over the last few ones.

I definitely don't want to go back to the glorious failures of the past.

• Like 2

It's an interesting one - flair and attacking style of play vs grinding out wins. If we win this tournament playing the way we have been, it'll still be a great achievement and I'll celebrate but you can't help wishing we were more exciting to watch with the talent we have in the squad.

Spain seem able to combine exciting, attacking football with winning - they've pretty well ditched the old tiki taka routine which was so boring at times. To get past the Dutch and then Spain or France we will have to play much better than even last night's improved showing.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

It's an interesting one - flair and attacking style of play vs grinding out wins. If we win this tournament playing the way we have been, it'll still be a great achievement and I'll celebrate but you can't help wishing we were more exciting to watch with the talent we have in the squad.

Spain seem able to combine exciting, attacking football with winning - they've pretty well ditched the old tiki taka routine which was so boring at times. To get past the Dutch and then Spain or France we will have to play much better than even last night's improved showing.

Spain ground out that win against Germany. They dropped deeper after they scored and were looking to hang on. 

Yes other teams have shown more flair in the group stages but since it’s got to knockout the games are very tight and cagey. Switzerland were nowhere near as attacking as they were against Italy, probably because they knew leaving themselves open to a counter with our forwards is a lot different to with the Italian forwards.

I’d love more attacking football but I’d love us to win more. 2 games…

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Spain ground out that win against Germany. They dropped deeper after they scored and were looking to hang on. 

Yes other teams have shown more flair in the group stages but since it’s got to knockout the games are very tight and cagey. Switzerland were nowhere near as attacking as they were against Italy, probably because they knew leaving themselves open to a counter with our forwards is a lot different to with the Italian forwards.

We've drawn the last four, two more draws would do it, incredibly. 

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It's almost as if people haven't seen international football before

This is worth a repost:

Shearer sums it up for me:
“We have to accept this is England’s identity”

It’s not the most thrilling football but somehow we have scrapped and scraped our way to a semi-final. 

It’s just that watching England play is so frustrating and, let’s be honest, it’s boring football.

Irrespective of what Southgate has achieved, he is responsible for shackling the players and instilling a fear to play, to express themselves on the pitch. 

Yes, we’re winning through but it could be so much more enjoyable.

😮

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I often tune into a big premier league or champions league game and am bored to tears. The games with everything on the line are almost always cagey. 

Edited by nzlatic

28 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Yes, we’re winning through but it could be so much more enjoyable.

I don’t think any team has set the tournament alight. Spain, one would argue look the best bet, but I wouldn’t say they’re playing brilliant football. They just look a strong unit. France are the same.

Turkey and Georgia have been the most exciting, but where has that got them, ultimately? We’re just finding a way to get through, albeit with a bit of luck thrown in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I often tune into a big premier league or champions league game and am bored to tears. The games with everything on the line are almost always cagey. 

The PL, I tend to agree, though not always. Funnily enough the FA Cup matches last season between United and Liverpool, then United and Coventry, were absolutely enthralling, football at its best.

The CL, I totally disagree, at least once it gets to the KO stages. Teams regularly go for it hammer and tongs and the latter stages regularly produce fantastic football.

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Disagree. Great German fightback which contributed to a really entertaining match and both sides went for it in extra time. Spain in this tournament have played the kind of football that I want to see us playing.

13 hours ago, League one forever said:

Talking to a mate tonight. It’s awful, it’s horrible. . and yet he’s done better than Robson and Venables, and much than than Sven and Capello. 

All four managers have much better cv’s but none have done what he has. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

I think this headline sums it up perfectly:

England defy football logic – it is not normal to play so poorly and keep winning

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Only Blue said:

I think we should all agree to let Southgate win us a tournament, just one for now,  no matter how we do it, and then going forward look at winning with style.

I’d take that 👍

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Only Blue said:

I think we should all agree to let Southgate win us a tournament, just one for now,  no matter how we do it, and then going forward look at winning with style.

This is his last tournament it's this one and he's done knowone gets to do more than 4 and if Im honest I think this will be a good point for him to bow out, and let someonelse take it on further. Ideally we'd like to do it with style but we are only 2 grubby 1-0 wins away from winning our first major tournament since 1966 and what would be thevfirst on foreign soil, He will have left things in a healthy state.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

This is his last tournament it's this one and he's done knowone gets to do more than 4 and if Im honest I think this will be a good point for him to bow out, and let someonelse take it on further. Ideally we'd like to do it with style but we are only 2 grubby 1-0 wins away from winning our first major tournament, He will have left things in a healthy state.

1966?

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

This is his last tournament it's this one and he's done knowone gets to do more than 4 and if Im honest I think this will be a good point for him to bow out, and let someonelse take it on further. Ideally we'd like to do it with style but we are only 2 grubby 1-0 wins away from winning our first major tournament, He will have left things in a healthy state.

If he wins it he will get offered a new contract and rightly so. You don't choose to get rid of a manager who's won the nation's first trophy in a major tournament for nearly 60 years. 

And Latics fans especially (given how starved of success we've been) should know not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

7 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

If he wins it he will get offered a new contract and rightly so. You don't choose to get rid of a manager who's won the nation's first trophy in a major tournament for nearly 60 years. 

And Latics fans especially (given how starved of success we've been) should know not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

But it's not a case of wanting to get rid of him it might be the case him wanting to step back abd say that's me done I'm going out on a high.