Anyone else a bit bored.....

5 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Interesting. A lot of pundits are saying the next manager must be English, but they seem to ignore the fact that Sarina Wiegman has done a pretty good job with the England women's team.

She has improved them considerably but they're currently as boring to watch as the men's team.

34 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Interesting. A lot of pundits are saying the next manager must be English, but they seem to ignore the fact that Sarina Wiegman has done a pretty good job with the England women's team.

Pep, as a Catalan, supports England.

52 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

And said how heartbroken she was when we beat the Netherlands 

15 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

And said how heartbroken she was when we beat the Netherlands 

That's fair enough. I'd rather she said that than we lost to them and she celebrated!

Edited by Worcester Owl

17 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

That's fair enough. I'd rather she said that than we lost to them and she celebrated!

I just can't have it that it would be as much to celebrate if we won something with a foreign coach. Defeats the point of international competition for me, or at least diminishes it significantly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I just can't have it that it would be as much to celebrate if we won something with a foreign coach. Defeats the point of international competition for me, or at least diminishes it significantly.

Weird logic that, how are you going to cope if the Scottish Mellon who isn't an Oldham native delivers promotion for the town team or doesn't that count?

We've now got players not even born in England turning out for us so I can't see what significance the nationality of the manager should have.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It's the guys on the pitch who win, or lose, tournaments. Sure, the manager has an influence, but once the players step over the touchline it's down to them. If we win the Ashes next time under McCullum, will you not celebrate? If Gattuso had become Latics manager and won promotion, would your joy have been diminished?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

25 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

It's the guys on the pitch who win, or lose, tournaments. Sure, the manager has an influence, but once the players step over the touchline it's down to them. If we win the Ashes next time under McCullum, will you not celebrate? If Gattuso had become Latics manager and won promotion, would your joy have been diminished?

I’m with Worcester in this one - if Latics or England win something I couldn’t care less about the nationality of the manager - we’d have bloody won something!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Weird logic that, how are you going to cope if the Scottish Mellon who isn't an Oldham native delivers promotion for the town team or doesn't that count?

We've now got players not even born in England turning out for us so I can't see what significance the nationality of the manager should have.

Club football is completely different. The point of international football is to do the best with what you've got. This wouldn't be that. Yes, I'd celebrate. And, yes, I think it would be less of an achievement

• Like 2

I don’t care who we win it with, Id just be happy to win. But the issue runs deeper, if we didn’t have a load of foreign managers in the premier league we would have a shed load of premier league winning English managers. I suppose the question is are they good enough? 

54 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I don’t care who we win it with, Id just be happy to win. But the issue runs deeper, if we didn’t have a load of foreign managers in the premier league we would have a shed load of premier league winning English managers. I suppose the question is are they good enough? 

They're clearly not good enough. Two major trophies won by English managers in 30 years. One of those was Joe Royle with Everton in 1995!

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

They're clearly not good enough. Two major trophies won by English managers in 30 years. One of those was Joe Royle with Everton in 1995!

Yea but if you only have English managers… they win the prem and fa cup 

12 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I’d take the leader of ISIS if he delivered a World Cup.

14 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Actually it's 4

Joe Royle FA cup 1995

Roy Evans League cup 1995

Steve Mclaren League cup 2004

Harry Redknapp FA Cup 2008.

But yeah you are right we haven't produced a top class manager in well over a generation.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Actually it's 4

Joe Royle FA cup 1995

But yeah you are right we haven't produced a top class manager in well over a generation.

Skewed by the fact there's almost an obsession to give the top jobs to foreign coaches in the richest League in the world. 

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Skewed by the fact there's almost an obsession to give the top jobs to foreign coaches in the richest League in the world. 

Yes, but is that because we don't produce many? Egg/chicken 

6 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Actually it's 4

Joe Royle FA cup 1995

Potter got Brighton competing with the elite, Eddie Howe is doing OK at Newcastle. Clubs want instant success these days so tend to go with the big names….I’m sure there are potential top managers around if they were to be given the chance!!

9 minutes ago, latics22 said:

How can u say that? If they never get a chance how do you know 

Potter and Lampard both got given the chance at Chelsea it worked out for neither. Steven Gerrard was given a chance at Villa too and struggled there, they are better off now under Emry. We don't produce many top coaches that's the bottom line of it. 

That said I think Potter was a little unlucky at Chelsea as it appears to be abit messy and as he's available I'd like to see him given the England gig. But his record isn't all that certainly not one of an elite level coach

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Potter got Brighton competing with the elite, Eddie Howe is doing OK at Newcastle. Clubs want instant success these days so tend to go with the big names….I’m sure there are potential top managers around if they were to be given the chance!!

They aren't being given the chance for a reason we just don't produce enough of them.

That said it will be interesting to see how Keiran Mckenna does in the PL next season.

I wouldn't in any way try to question the achievements of Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp, and further back Wenger. But at the same time, they landed jobs with some of the richest clubs in the country. Of course a manager still has to produce results and managing a squad of 20+ millionaires can't be easy. But I often wonder how these guys would get on if they did somehow find themselves managing lower down the pyramid. In the extremely unlikely event that City get relegated for rule breaches and the even more unlikely event that Pep stays to help them climb back (and even then they'd still have all the money in the world to throw at the problem) we might get an idea.

This is why Clough's achievements as a manager were so remarkable - he took two unglamorous, small town teams and raised each to be among the best in Europe. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, latics22 said:

How can u say that? If they never get a chance how do you know 

That's kind of what I meant. But can you name half a dozen English coaches in the last decade that really deserved a crack with a top club?