Anyone else a bit bored.....

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Shambolic is a bit over the top! But I agree with the general principle. We scored early then retreated into ourselves hoping to cling on. It was very poor and felt like a step back. 

I thought we rid ourselves of that mentality to some extent in the following World Cup. We didn’t go out against France because we were scared and defensive, we missed our chances and they took theirs. 

I’m looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds this time. 

I think we were better than France. Kane scores his second pen and I think we would have gone on to win it.

• Like 1

Just now, GKing521 said:

I think we were better than France. Kane scores his second pen and I think we would have gone on to win it.

The game, that is. 

Argentina would have beaten us in the final. 

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

The boomers won't like that. We have to display our everlasting superiority at every opportunity.

Yeah right 😏

We don't have any superiority because we never win anything, ever.

42 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Don't make me say it again :chubb:

I think I'm a couple of years too young to be in that demographic but what a load of nonsense to brand an entire generation as having common characteristics. Just like Gen X, Z or whichever element of the latest fashionable alphabet soup is flavour of the month 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think I'm a couple of years too young to be in that demographic but what a load of nonsense to brand an entire generation as having common characteristics. Just like Gen X, Z or whichever element of the latest fashionable alphabet soup is flavour of the month 

True to an extent, but its a reaction to Gen Z and Millenials being branded entitled snow flakes because they would dare to aspire to doing things like owning a home, then wondering why none will vote Tory at the forthcoming elections. I know that sounds abit "they started it" but can you blame young people for thinking such things. Not that Baby Boomers weren't told similar when they were younger, from the previous generations who fought in 2 world wars. I'm sure The Who wrote a song about it, abd Monty Python did a sketch on it.

Anyway it's not good for society to have young and old taking pops at each other. Its just one of those things social media has managed to create.

Anyway transfer news anyone?

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

True to an extent, but its a reaction to Gen Z and Millenials being branded entitled snow flakes because they would dare to aspire to doing things like owning a home, then wondering why none will vote Tory at the forthcoming elections. I know that sounds abit "they started it" but can you blame young people for thinking such things. Not that Baby Boomers weren't told similar when they were younger, from the previous generations who fought in 2 world wars. I'm sure The Who wrote a song about it, abd Monty Python did a sketch on it.

Anyway it's not good for society to have young and old taking pops at each other. Its just one of those things social media has managed to create.

Anyway transfer news anyone?

Nothing to report as of yet,

On the England national team front, I here that Skinner & Baddiel have already been approached to do a special sixtieth anniversary edition of Three Lions in 2 year's time.

They'll still be hurting but it'll have doubled in the lyrics 🫠

3 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Yeah right 😏

We don't have any superiority because we never win anything, ever.

Do you suffer from memory loss? We won a world cup once which falls into your time span of 'ever'.

Of course success doesn't sit well with you does it?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

On the England national team front, I here that Skinner & Baddiel have already been approached to do a special sixtieth anniversary edition of Three Lions in 2 year's time.

It would probably fit better. I'm actually not expecting England to win this the defensive weaknesses will cost us. But I've been happier with England since Southgate has been in charge as I feel atleast the team on each occasion has done itself justice I can cope with narrowly missing out alot more so compared to not even giving it a go and going out with a wimper which we did in previous tournaments. The same can be said of Latics if we don't go up then atleast get bloody close to doing so and I'll be forgiving.

I don't want to be losers even gallant one's but it's better than falling miles short and looking like we don't care (Most football teams fail in the majority of cups, tournaments, and leagues that they are in). As Samuel Beckett once said try again, fail again, but fail better. 

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Do you suffer from memory loss? We won a world cup once which falls into your time span of 'ever'.

Of course success doesn't sit well with you does it?

Been starved of it for that long both here and on the world stage,

Can it happen in your lifetime? Ask yourself that

I guess that’s the advantage of being “Negative Norman” (apologies to those really called Normal).

If you are convinced we will loose before we start, you don’t have to cope with the disappointment when we loose. 

To argue some understanding for those who have been about for a while, it gets harder to allow yourself to hope, the more times you feel the pain of that disappointment. Surely though this England team has enough skill in it. For me, unfortunately, the hope is rising yet again for the England team, and I’m sure it will for Latics before the season starts. Can’t help myself!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I guess that’s the advantage of being “Negative Norman” (apologies to those really called Normal).

If you are convinced we will loose before we start, you don’t have to cope with the disappointment when we loose. 

To argue some understanding for those who have been about for a while, it gets harder to allow yourself to hope, the more times you feel the pain of that disappointment. Surely though this England team has enough skill in it. For me, unfortunately, the hope is rising yet again for the England team, and I’m sure it will for Latics before the season starts. Can’t help myself!

When it comes down to it though, it’s just a game of football. Yes it hurts but if you expand your life to include other stuff, then it’s easier to deal with. 👀

• Like 1

I tend to find that those with a negative outlook are usually right .... and occasionally specatacularly wrong when it comes down to predicting 'winners' . I find being constantly negative isnt good for your health and while it IS the hope that kills you I will always be happy to find some even against the odds ..... you just never know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

When it comes down to it though, it’s just a game of football. Yes it hurts but if you expand your life to include other stuff, then it’s easier to deal with. 👀

It doesn't hurt, it's just extremely disappointing to see on a regular basis and I have plenty to keep me occupied when I'm not pissed off with football.

Let's hope we show up and win it, same for Latics, that's enough positivity for one day don't you think? 👍

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'll never fail to be in any way surprised that glass half empty tics are mostly correct, with the most negative ones barely waiting to get out their "Look, I told you so" gambits.

Fucking dullards, man.

It works both ways mate,  overly positive - finding positive in the face of shit results is as frustrating as everything is shit. 

I’d like to think I’m a realist, if it’s good I’m all in, if it’s shit - it needs calling for what it is. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

They must have been in primary school when they made the first Three Lions.

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Nothing about the place is currently screaming title challenge, middle of June, we've signed a full back from the league below and the unwanted still remain, where's the urgency?

No it's currently screaming the 10th of June which is only a third of the way through. 

3 minutes ago, disjointed said:

No it's currently screaming the 10th of June which is only a third of the way through. 

1st to 9th = start of month

10th to 21th = middle of month

22nd to last day of month = end of month 

Those are the official internationally recognised metrics.

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

15th and the 16th are the middle, those are the those are the days recognised by non pedants. 

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The title of this thread is so right, you two are debating whether 10th of the month is classed as the middle!!!!

Us Latics fans can definitely argue over absolutely anything and it is brilliant :)