Anyone else a bit bored.....

On 6/8/2024 at 10:02 PM, Littlemoor Lad said:

Give over 

You're just making excuses for a load of overpaid lazy bastards lucky enough to be chosen to represent their country at a major tournament that can't even be arsed to break a sweat and show why they're wearing the shirt.

There's so many parallels with what's been on offer at B.P it's astounding,

After 58 year's of winning Jack shit, why all of a sudden do you think this clueless idiot has it in him to change that sorry statistic?

We were literally a penalty shootout away from winning something... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We are actually going into this tournament weaker than previous ones imo. The defence is a huge concern which seems to be ignored. 

Massive expectations for a team with a poor defence. 

Going forward, I cant think of a better group of players in my lifetime. Serial winners, some of- if not- the best players in 3 of europe's top league's, strength in depth, most of the group are coming off the back of good seasons.

But you're right the defensive frailty cant be ignored. We are looking really light and inexperienced. Stones, Walker and Shaw are the only ones I have full confidence in and 2 of those are injured. Hopefully Rice can keep up his great form this season and give the defence the cover it will certainly need along with whoever plays alongside him (probably Gallagher).

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

We are actually going into this tournament weaker than previous ones imo. The defence is a huge concern which seems to be ignored. 

Massive expectations for a team with a poor defence. 

Exactly.  We have no left back.  Our most experienced centre half that hardly anyone rates anyway isn't there.  His usual centre half partner has been injured for most of the season and possibly is now having gone off in the last game.  The next batch of centre halves have been far from convincing and have little international or European experience. Thought Dier might have been brought back as an experienced head who has apparently done well in Germany

Minimal chance for me but doubtless that will be Southgate's fault for many.

Edited by Dave_Og

22 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Anyone watch Football Cops on channel 4 featuring our away game at Scunthorpe?

The football liaison officer at Coventry had a minor heart attack a few years ago. His nickname now is “cardio”. 

Outrageous banter in the force these days. Fun times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mick26 said:

It's an OK watch but having seen the first 2 episodes it's pretty short on actual real action football grounds are generally alot safer these days police are smarter and everything is caught on CCTV anyway. Funniest bit was in the first episode where a police officer rang a Liverpool fans wife to tell him he's been arrested and caught in possession of cocaine. Someone has probably been divorced since then.

52 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The football liaison officer at Coventry had a minor heart attack a few years ago. His nickname now is “cardio”. 

Outrageous banter in the force these days. Fun times.

Ours who is featured alongside the Scunthorpe officer is a member on this board!(Not me).

1 hour ago, mick26 said:

I have watched the first two. What the program shows is how a relatively small number of fans can cause so much disruption. No wonder the cost of policing games is so high.

The programme points out the main troublemakers are youngsters aged between 14 & 20.

It also highlights how the actions of one or two can incite the rest. 

I’d arrest a lot more and issue long bans to the ringleaders  - there should be no place for it anymore in the modern game.

I would also come down hard on the fans in the ground who spend most of the match goading the opposition supporters.

Zero tolerance.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I have watched the first two. What the program shows is how a relatively small number of fans can cause so much disruption. No wonder the cost of policing games is so high.

The programme points out the main troublemakers are youngsters aged between 14 & 20.

I’d arrest a lot more and issue long bans to the ringleaders  - there should be no place for it anymore in the modern game.

I would also come down hard on the fans in the ground who spend most of the match goading the opposition supporters.

Zero tolerance.

There's not that much bother though is there really? a few boneheads thinking they are the bollocks but nothing much. CCTV is everywhere these days plus things like social media and phones mean it's pretty easy for the police to come and find you if you are daft enough to cause trouble these days.

Let's face the majority of us would rather spend our Saturday evenings either ranting about the game on the Internet, watching Netflix, In the pub with the lads, or shagging the Mrs than spending it in a cell hence why only a few muppets with no life would get into it these days.

Edited by GlossopLatic

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Exactly.  We have no left back.  Our most experienced centre half that hardly anyone rates anyway isn't there.  His usual centre half partner has been injured for most of the season and possibly is now having gone off in the last game.  The next batch of centre halves have been far from convincing and have little international or European experience. Thought Dier might have been brought back as an experienced head who has apparently done well in Germany

Minimal chance for me but doubtless that will be Southgate's fault for many.

Should have taken Rico Lewis from City to cover left back. He came into England squad last year and did well and is fit! Can't believe Shaw will be fit enough as he last played mid Feb!!

Centre half is a massive problem, and we will probably play a back 3 with Walker on the right side to try and compensate I guess, particularly in more difficult games and Gomez on the left, with Stones central.

14 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Should have taken Rico Lewis from City to cover left back. He came into England squad last year and did well and is fit! Can't believe Shaw will be fit enough as he last played mid Feb!!

Centre half is a massive problem, and we will probably play a back 3 with Walker on the right side to try and compensate I guess, particularly in more difficult games and Gomez on the left, with Stones central.

Trippier seems favourite.  I think he's shot

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Trippier seems favourite.  I think he's shot

Agreed, the injury seemed to take a lot out of him towards the end of the season. I'm not overimpressed with Walkernowadays as he seems to be relying on his pace too much to get him out of trouble although I'd take him over Terrence Trent Darby who's defensively hopeless.

Not on topic but work with a guy whose inherited some  Latics memorabilia he’s got  a few hundred programmes from about 89 ish  to about 94 inc cup final  v forest  also think he’s got a few shirts around same period   He’s  after selling these  if anybody knows  anybody who might buy them or if your interested  let me know and I will pass your details onto him 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Zero tolerance.

They’re just normal men. Normal, innocent men.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Agreed, the injury seemed to take a lot out of him towards the end of the season. I'm not overimpressed with Walkernowadays as he seems to be relying on his pace too much to get him out of trouble although I'd take him over Terrence Trent Darby who's defensively hopeless.

I recall Southgate starting TAA in midfield a couple of years go at least and getting slated for it.  Appears to have been proved right on that one

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Zero tolerance.

Zero tolerance of goading the opposition . . . mmmm.

Inciting violence/throwing objects/ being a general dick absolutely. 

But goading the opposition. . that’s half the fun, and where is the line? 

If I flick the v’s in a moment of ecstasy  and then start doing 2 - 1 with my fingers, I’m technically goading them. . but that’s what I go for. . the tribalism. Especially at big games. Without that, it would feel very sanitised and boring. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But that’s what I go for. . the tribalism. Especially at big games. Without that, it would feel very sanitised and boring. 

Seriously?….FFS!!!

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Seven More Days, and hopefully we'll be looking back on a win over Serbia. Let's Go Forward with confidence, there are no outstanding teams to fear.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Seven More Days, and hopefully we'll be looking back on a win over Serbia. Let's Go Forward with confidence, there are no outstanding teams to fear.

I think we will get 7 points from the group games I can see us labouring abit in 1 of them.

On the shortage of centre backs its a slight dissapointment from our point of view that James Tarkowski hasn't been picked. I suppose with England's style likely to mean we will most likely be defending on the half way line rather than the 18 yard line then his lack of pace will likely get exposed whereas if we were defending the box you can trust him to head it away as he does it better than anyone.

Edited by GlossopLatic

49 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Seriously?…

Yeah. . why!?!? . . . maaaaad how we think differently isn’t it. 

53 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

FFS!!!

JCA!!!!  😂😂

The point Big dog made was, zero tolerance to all unsavoury behaviour including - goading. 

If you’ve ever sang a song at the opposition in celebration or in retaliation because they’re singing songs that take the piss - that’s technically goading them. Goading  the opposition is the absolute lifeblood of every single football club, and why derbies (the height of goading) are loved and watched all over the world. It’s why big games sell out or sell a lot of tickets,  because the vast majority want the atmosphere of goading and winding the oppo up. What we don’t want is 12 fans from Wealdstone and no atmosphere. 

Voilence of any kind is wrong. 

Goading and the tribal nature of football is not.