Anyone else a bit bored.....

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Ten pound bet we win all 3 ? You build in to tournaments you arsehole, it was a professional display. You’re the kind of guy that busts his nut in the waiting room of the Georgian aren’t you ? 

WTF 😂

win three of what? So they bloody well should, although, I have a feeling Denmark might just throw a spanner in the works.

The consensus is, that we got lucky against a side that most probably won't even get out of the group stages.

Any of the top sides would have seen us off, given how that second half went.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I was in my village pub, far more depressed to find out that it was closing than I could possibly have been at anything that could have happened on the pitch

You forgot to mention all the whisky chasers that had nullified your judgement 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

The two best players from the game v Iceland?  That's damning with faint praise!  I'd suggest you find Martin Samuel's excellent column from The Times this morning for some perspective on Kane's performance.  If there is a better sports writer around at the moment I haven't come across them

I always enjoy Barney Ronay in the Guardian and Owen Slot in the Times.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Thank you MM.

The Germans certainly entertained.

Haha I know he is starting to have an effect on me, anyway I was referring to England and entertaining.

Yes the Germans did and I have seen many teams slaughter their group team opponents only to lose in the knockout stages to a solid dour team.

Sorry MM mode again :)

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I was in my village pub, far more depressed to find out that it was closing than I could possibly have been at anything that could have happened on the pitch

Closed for good or closed as in last orders and kicking you out for singing Oldham songs?? :)

14 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Closed for good or closed as in last orders and kicking you out for singing Oldham songs?? :)

Sadly the former unless there is someone out there daft enough to take it on

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I expect a totally different match against Denmark and I also expect we'll dismantle at least one team this tournament given the firepower and pace that we have. He has to find a way of getting Foden into matches but we have to play him centrally rather than out wide.

Interestingly, Lars Sivertsen (another good writer, should anyone be interested) pointed out on the Guardian pod that he's played more wide for City than central this season. Now that's all relative, because City play their wider plays narrow and he can cut in. But I don't think it is a simple wide/central issue.

The key, seemingly, is that City play intricate quick pass and move football in/with/around him. England don't. It's not to say he can't play other ways, but that he's elite in playing the City way. He's not really a beat-a-man kind of player (Saka is more of that), so much as a pass-and-move-around-them kind.

He's still fucking brilliant, that's for sure. Even after a relatively poor performance. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Are there any pubs left that are local to you. 

Two that are two miles away.  One of those did close and was boarded up but has been refurbed and reopened.  I think it's a hobby business for the son of a wealthy local

13 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Two that are two miles away.  One of those did close and was boarded up but has been refurbed and reopened.  I think it's a hobby business for the son of a wealthy local

I shed a tear every time another pub is boarded up.

The days of a good pub crawl is gone as there aren't any to crawl to and I mourn it's passing.

52 minutes ago, Ackey said:

Interestingly, Lars Sivertsen (another good writer, should anyone be interested) pointed out on the Guardian pod that he's played more wide for City than central this season. Now that's all relative, because City play their wider plays narrow and he can cut in. But I don't think it is a simple wide/central issue.

The key, seemingly, is that City play intricate quick pass and move football in/with/around him. England don't. It's not to say he can't play other ways, but that he's elite in playing the City way. He's not really a beat-a-man kind of player (Saka is more of that), so much as a pass-and-move-around-them kind.

He's still fucking brilliant, that's for sure. Even after a relatively poor performance. 

Agree with all your post but am pondering if we are getting into a "Scholes/Lampard/Gerrard" situation with him Bellingham, Palmer and Saka ?

We often overpass the ball when a more incisive approach is  needed against a massed defence I'm not sure if we can accommodate Foden ( as good as he is ) if we adopt a more direct attacking attitude.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I shed a tear every time another pub is boarded up.

The days of a good pub crawl is gone as there aren't any to crawl to and I mourn it's passing.

And my local always has five ales all in great nick

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

And my local always has five ales all in great nick

Maybe one of the reasons they're closing. There's quite a lot of wasteage when cleaning beer lines and, depending on volume of sales, it can be a "killer".

It really is sad to see so many locals closing and I've wondered if the rise of social media has been a major influence as people are programmed into "talking" to each other via that rather than face to face.

Hope you get your local back soon !  🤞

13 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Maybe one of the reasons they're closing. There's quite a lot of wasteage when cleaning beer lines and, depending on volume of sales, it can be a "killer".

It really is sad to see so many locals closing and I've wondered if the rise of social media has been a major influence as people are programmed into "talking" to each other via that rather than face to face.

Hope you get your local back soon !  🤞

Probably more to do with the landlady peeing off half the villagers!  But whether anyone wants to take on a c16th building in poor repair I rather doubt.  I don't know how I'm going t explain it to the dog; he loves it in there!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I'm not sure if we can accommodate Foden ( as good as he is ) if we adopt a more direct attacking attitude.

Southgate would get lynched - and rightly so - if he didn't include what was, for me, the Premiership player of the season.

Take on board the points about the differing playing styles between England and City. Foden has to be replicated in a system or way that's as close to Citeh's as it possibly can be.

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Melting pot of obvious reasons. Anti-social behaviour, beers at supermarkets that are a quarter of the price, perfect draught machines, lazy landlords, the internet, relocations, immigration, cost of living crisis. It's a shame but I think pubs that are run well will stand the test of time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Belgium been stitched up here, I reckon..

Just been watching updates on the BBC website and they would seem to agree. 

Keeping my powder dry as we are in day 4 and the missus has already uttered the immortal phrase "not football again" at least a dozen times. 

32 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Laws of the game being made and enforced by people who've never played it. 

We've gone past VAR and are using sound- detectors to make decisions now, I see. 

Rubbish. 

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Foden can't perform against big physical players, Southgate should have known how Serbia play and it needed a nippy striker against that lumbering centre back. I'd play a back 4, just Rice and Bellingham in central midfield, two wingers, and two strikers. Southgate will never do that though as he's too cautious.

Not sure I've seen a single 'big' team go 4-4-2 in the whole tournament yet... 

30 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We've gone past VAR and are using sound- detectors to make decisions now, I see. 

Rubbish. 

Still can't get obvious corners right though

1 hour ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Not sure I've seen a single 'big' team go 4-4-2 in the whole tournament yet... 

I'd love to see one, the other teams wouldn't know how to cope with 2 good wingers as they aren't used to it.