Latics or England

As we're bored..  

63 members have voted

1. 1. You can only have one or the other...

• England win the Euros on Sunday..
    • Latics win promotion in 24/25

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/14/2024 at 07:00 PM

An absolute no brainer for me. I don't class myself as an England fan - it's just the country I live in. I get sick and tired every time a tournament comes around that there are millions of people who have no interest in football, but suddenly become the next Emma Hayes, Hope Powell or Jermaine Jenas. 

I also can't get my head around the fact that there have been Oldham and United fans who are quite happy to sing about a Man City player.

Feel better now I've got that off my chest...

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

An absolute no brainer for me. I don't class myself as an England fan - it's just the country I live in. I get sick and tired every time a tournament comes around that there are millions of people who have no interest in football, but suddenly become the next Emma Hayes, Hope Powell or Jermaine Jenas. 

I also can't get my head around the fact that there have been Oldham and United fans who are quite happy to sing about a Man City player.

PS - I'd take the Bank Holiday though...

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yep. 

Id love to see England win something. But if we lose on Sunday, It will hurt for that evening. If Latics lost a playoff final it would stay with me for months. Same thing if either won 

The pain/reward is much much higher with Latics because I’m invested a lot more with us. 

Edited by League one forever

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep. 

Id love to see England win something. But if we lose on Sunday, It will hurt for that evening. If Latics lost a playoff final it would stay with me for months. Same thing if either won 

The pain/reward is much much higher with Latics because I’m invested a lot more with us. 

Months! I still haven't got over the Leeds (dirty Leeds) play off semi.

I was born in Oldham, Lancashire, England. That's why they're my football and cricket (not really arsed about cricket) teams. I am loving England's progression and development and can't wait for the final. But how long it will stay with you tells the story. Latics every time, but come on England 🦁🦁🦁

• Like 1

I think if you did this poll across every club in the country I reckon everyone would vote very similar. Club will always beat country

That said it doesn't mean I wouldn't want England to win. I do feel watching England as a Latics fan is kind of good because we can judge the players alot more objectively whereas the fans of PL clubs will have a more natrual bias towards there own players. I'm always struck when I see the club names of the England flags. It's usually a Port Vale Scunthorpe Cambridge Leyton orient. Very rarely do you see a United Liverpool or Arsenal one. I do think that England's travelling support comes much more from EFL clubs and down as opposed to PL clubs.

Guest O.A.F.C.
3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Don't let it bother you. If that is what you have to worry about in life, things can't be that bad...

Guest O.A.F.C.
45 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Not even a debate. Oldham all day. I’d take not qualifying if it meant an Oldham play off position. 

National identity has gone down the drain.  Even if we won the World Cup the majority of people wouldn't be bothered.  Most football fans of teams which have players representing, just see it as a inconvenience with a possibility of injury.

Sums up modern football fans...

Think I tried this poll a few years ago just before an international tournament - when Mo and Abdallah were at their peak here - and I'm pretty sure the result was a bit closer.

I'd always pick club before country, but a small nod to Frank et al that maybe a lot of people have rediscovered their love for the club since they've taken over and that other lot have left.

That said, it would certainly be a chapter for the memoirs if England did it on Sunday. First trophy for a few generations.  First ever trophy on foreign soil.  Found it pretty moving when the goal went in last night, if I'm honest..

7 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

National identity has gone down the drain.  Even if we won the World Cup the majority of people wouldn't be bothered.  Most football fans of teams which have players representing, just see it as a inconvenience with a possibility of injury.

Sums up modern football fans...

There is a bit of this.  Back in the 90s and early 00s, there was bunting and flags all over the place when a tournament was going on.  I think I've seen one flag hanging up in a house window this time round..

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

There is a bit of this.  Back in the 90s and early 00s, there was bunting and flags all over the place when a tournament was going on.  I think I've seen one flag hanging up in a house window this time round..

My local was full of people last night of all different footballing persuasions jumping up and down when Watkins scored looking on the tv it was the first item on the news and plenty of places around the country bouncing when we scored, it still matters alot. Their is a wider conversation about English Nationslism which often goes down the root of left vs right politics and that's sometimes dangerous but I think sport is very much positive nationalism which I like.

As like others I'm far more invested in Latics than England but I'm still buzzing slightly from last night's winner.

Guest O.A.F.C.
Just now, League one forever said:

😂😂😂

Fuck me, LS has his own fan club on here 🙈

Guest O.A.F.C.
18 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Oh dear, somebody is upset. 😂

Wouldn't say upset.  Just didn't understand multiple laughing emojis at something that didn't justify it 👍

4 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Wouldn't say upset.  Just didn't understand multiple laughing emojis at something that didn't justify it 👍

Oh right. Well, I found the comment not just funny, but very funny (bordering hilarious) So on my emoji ratio it warranted 3. Hope that helps. 👍🏻

57 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

England.

we might never see England win a trophy again, Latics will get out of this league soonish.

Even if England lose on Sunday, I'd still say they're more likely to lift a trophy before Latics as things stand...

England seem to have worked out how to do well in tournaments and have a relatively young gelled squad that will probably peak over the next couple of tournaments. We have no clue what version of Latics will turn up this season!

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Even if England lose on Sunday, I'd still say they're more likely to lift a trophy before Latics as things stand...

England seem to have worked out how to do well in tournaments and have a relatively young gelled squad that will probably peak over the next couple of tournaments. We have no clue what version of Latics will turn up this season!

Most of my mates support other clubs so in terms of enjoying a win with mates, England would be better. But I agree with you here, that'll come soon enough so I went with club. I just desperately want us out of this league!!