Latics or England

As we're bored..  

63 members have voted

1. 1. You can only have one or the other...

• England win the Euros on Sunday..
    • Latics win promotion in 24/25

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/14/2024 at 07:00 PM

18 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Are the two people who have gone England going to out themselves?

I haven't voted, but I would admit that I'd want England to win the World Cup more than Latics winning promotion. It's a very personal thing, for reasons superfluous to this conversation, but England winning the World Cup would be the ultimate sporting moment for me. 

• Like 2

Guest O.A.F.C.
22 hours ago, JoeP said:

There is a bit of this.  Back in the 90s and early 00s, there was bunting and flags all over the place when a tournament was going on.  I think I've seen one flag hanging up in a house window this time round..

I went to the opening group game for the World Cup in 2006.  We took over 70K with the majority of fans watching it in the Fans Zone, it was reported the other day we 40K to the Semi Final.  So it shows interest is declining.   

Near me there are very few England flags on display, plenty of Palestine flags though... 

Edited by O.A.F.C.

Guest O.A.F.C.
1 hour ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

Latics every time as I was lucky enough to witness England winning the World Cup. :chubb:

If Latics win the final of The National League playoffs, I'd obviously be happy but I wouldn't be crying tears of joys (nobody would!!). England on the other hand connects everybody, there is no comparison. England over Latics every time.

Edited by O.A.F.C.

6 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

I went to the opening group game for the World Cup in 2006.  We took over 70K with the majority of fans watching it in the Fans Zone, it was reported the other day we 40K to the Semi Final.  So it shows interest is declining.   

Near me there are very few England flags on display, plenty of Palestine flags though... 

You’re not comparing like for like, that was the ‘World Cup’

35 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

If Latics win the final of The National League playoffs, I'd obviously be happy but I wouldn't be crying tears of joys (nobody would!!). England on the other hand connects everybody, there is no comparison. England over Latics every time.

I 100% would be crying tears of joy if Latics win the final of the National League play-offs.

43 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Seen most things in English sport, the football team winning a major tournament would surpass the lot.

They may even have done it by the time this post has been moderated.

image.png

Swift! 

l went England bc l can't really imagine how/if l would celebrate promotion out of division five. whereas if England won sunday lno l would just laugh at the 'easy draw doesn't count' Ladz and be just as puzzled with them as most people are at my response to this!!

l'd swap it for back to back to back titles into the championship. don't think l'd bother with the first couple of parades tho.

Edited by Monty Burns
had a pop at making it legible

5 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

some of those 'England flags' might actually be Palestine ones really bc Old George is their Patron Saint too.

Work have told me we get the Monday morning off if Engand win so they've just upped the ante abit, still I'm siding with a Latics promotion win although its just gone 80/20 in favour of Latics to 60/40 in favour of Latics for me.

We mustn't underestimate the symbolic nature of what promotion out of this division would mean. Not only would it mean 9 months of winning football and the build up that watching regularl winning home and away would mean, but it would finally put a permanent end to the era of decline spanning 3 decades.

We'd go into league 2 significantly stronger than when we went into it in 2018 and a million times stronger than when we left it in 2022. You look at Man City an there most pivotal moment in there history wasn't winning a treble it is getting out of what is now league 1 against Gillingham in 1999 it changed the whole momentum of the club that had been in decline for 20+ years we can have that moment it can lead onto better things for us.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

We mustn't under estimate the symbolic nature of what promotion out of this division would mean. Not only would it mean 9 months of winning football and the build up that would have of regularly winning home abd away but it would finally put a permanent end to the era of decline spanning 3 decades. We'd go into league 2 significantly stronger than when we went into it in 2018 and a million times stronger than when we left it in 2022. You look at Man City an there most pivotal moment in there history wasn't winning a treble is getting out of what is now league 1 against Gillingham in 1999 it changed the whole momentum of the club that had been in decline for 20+ years we can have that moment it can lead onto better things for us.

There's lots of reasons for it but we've been in terminal decline since THAT goal (and THAT miss..) at Wembley 1994. Everything traces back to that day. 

We've gone longer than any other club in England without a trophy or promotion. 

Surprised some are so blasé about the importance of getting out of this league. It would be massive on a number of levels. 

Not even a morning off work would change my preference!

26 minutes ago, JoeP said:

There's lots of reasons for it but we've been in terminal decline since THAT goal (and THAT miss..) at Wembley 1994. Everything traces back to that day. 

Surprised some are so blasé about the importance of getting out of this league. It would be massive on a number of levels. 

The only comparison for me would be promotion to the Premier League.

On 7/12/2024 at 12:39 PM, O.A.F.C. said:

I'd be crying tears over neither but I'd take a playoff place with no guarantees 

17 hours ago, JoeP said:

I think any apathy for Latics is because we haven’t played a  competitive game yet, and promotion seems as far away now as it ever has done. if you asked the same question next May- with us on the cusp of going up and England playing a friendly- the vast majority would say Latics. 

Can anyone, anywhere, name another group of fans in the WORLD that has experienced such a significant and repeatedly bruising and brutal downfall with their club team, like Oldham since 1994, while also supporting a national team like England?

Oldham rarely reach finals or play in games that involve serious jeopardy. The only recent games involving serious jeopardy in the last 17 years led to relegation. It genuinely feels like a never-ending curse.

I actually thought England would do it today. It just goes to show how exceptionally unlucky we are, supporting both Oldham and England.

Maybe we all did something in a past life.

The reason I include the lack of games that have serious jeopardy attached to them is because, today, those who I watched the game with have seen their teams win or lose in finals. They were used to it. We're not.

Our biggest game in two decades was called off because fans ran onto the pitch to express their rage. 

We don't even know what either win or defeat in a monumental game feels like this century.

That just seems wrong. Someone wheel in a priest and a bucket of holy water. We're collectively cursed.

Edited by GKing521

1 minute ago, GKing521 said:

The reason I include the lack of games that have serious jeopardy attached to them is because, today, those who I watched the game with have seen their teams win or lose in finals. They were used to it. I was a bag of nerves.

We don't even know what either feels like this century.

That just seems wrong. Someone wheel in a priest and a bucket of holy water. We're collectively cursed.

You’re spot on.

Other fans at least have something to shout about at club level. No other fans of a top 5 division club know failure better than us. We don’t get international wins and we don’t get anything at club level. 

It’s gone way beyond hurting anymore, I think I’m just resigned to it. 

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You’re spot on.

Other fans at least have something to shout about at club level. No other fans of a top 5 division club know failure better than us. We don’t get international wins and we don’t get anything at club level. 

It’s gone way beyond hurting anymore, I think I’m just resigned to it. 

Before someone comes charging in - maybe Northampton (A) checks the parameters for 'what defeat fees like'—still, a total one-off and not joyous.

The relegation confirmed by Salford felt different to me and was weeks in the making. As was our League One demise, but we all still felt we could survive.

Anyway. I feel promotion this season is the bare minimum - but if we achieve it I will probably party for 3 days straight. Just give us something, Football Gods.

Inevitably Twitter awash this morning with so called England fans fighting at home and abroad following the game last night. 

I was quite excited and on edge about last night's game, but the inevitable defeat followed by the inevitable fan reaction made me wonder why. 

Glad it's over to be honest and happy to have a few football free weeks before it all starts again!

I felt pretty philosophical about England's defeat last night. Spain are worthy champions and I think overall England were worthy finalists. I suppose I'm preparing for the very real chance that I will feel something similar come next May where the team I support comes within touching distance of winning something but just falls short. I'd rather have that than be nowhere near which England and indeed Latics for far too long. 

What I'm trying to say here is I will forgive failure if we give it a bloody good go and just fall short even if that feeling will be agonising. 

• Like 2

Latics easy. I feel connected to Oldham both the town and the club. 

England are a bit of a luxury and I want them to do well but I would rather Oldham drew a tough game than England won a competition. 

Give me a moany old bastard from Waterhead over some schlep from Essex singing 10 german bombers any day of the week

• Like 2