Stockport County (H)

Good test for the players today particularly as they've been working hard the past fortnight, hoping to see a functional midfield and looking forward to seeing how Ogle and Monthe settle in to the back four, not wanting to put too much expectation on it but I think the Conlon/Charsley combination will be key to how we perform this season. 

Looking forward to the run out and it will be nice to see where we are at with still four weeks to the curtain raiser.

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm expecting three things

An ordinary performance

Probably a defeat

Lots of dummy spitting on here

As far as entertainment goes friendlies are a total waste of time and usually give no indication whatsoever as to how we’ll start the season.

I don’t bother with them anymore.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

As far as entertainment goes friendlies are a total waste of time and usually give no indication whatsoever as to how we’ll start the season.

I don’t bother with them anymore.

They were a good indication last season, although we were told not to worry as friendlies dont mean anything. 

Personally I'm not arsed about the result just more concerned that we do the right things like play a bit of football or pass to our own team mates, that would be a start.

45 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Ogle not in the squad and starting with one striker?

You'd assume - surely - Ogle is injured. 

One up front isn't necessary or has worked under Mellon. Surely Reid or Willoughby could've partnered Mikey. 

Hey ho, first match of pre season. Mellon knows what good looks like and won't repeat mistakes... 

1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

How are we set up and what was Kitch's goal like?

4-5-1

Hobson right back, Kay left wing. Conlon playing well. I’m not there but receiving regular text updates.

16 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

4-5-1

Hobson right back, Kay left wing. Conlon playing well. I’m not there but receiving regular text updates.

Nah, definitely 3 at the back, Raglan is dead central, Monthe left side CB, Hobson right side CB

Kitch LWB, Kay RWB (looks good), midfield 4 playing in two banks of 2, like a box midfield. (Conlon and Lundstram sat behind Charsley and Hammond)

Edit: although when we go forward, Kay naturally gets forward more, so Hobson is filling that gap in a bit.  Generally it's compact, heavily possession based (no long ball), and looking to restrict opposition getting big chances.  Think this could work well in away games

Edited by Simpo

Observations so far:
Definite signs we will be playing less hoofball. Playing out from the back and looking for shorter passes in and around midfield. Conlon looks at it, and very vocal. Rest of the midfield having less of an impact on the game, but these are having a lot of the ball in those positions without overly threatening. Defence so far looks solid, and again vocal. Monthe a huge upgrade on the left of defence to Hogan!!!

Fondop causing a nuisance but isolated at times.

Looks like we could cause more problems from set pieces this season which will make a nice change. 

Thought Raglan was outstanding first half, different vibe to last pre season, really at it and playing on the front foot. Midfield unrecognisable. 

Fondop done really well and giving them problems, Kay and Kitch option out wide. 

We seem to be setting up with four at the back but it is fluid which allows Kitch to push on in the same way he did early last season.

Very promising without getting too giddy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Simpo said:

Nah, definitely 3 at the back, Raglan is dead central, Monthe left side CB, Hobson right side CB

Kitch LWB, Kay RWB (looks good), midfield 4 playing in two banks of 2, like a box midfield. (Conlon and Lundstram sat behind Charsley and Hammond)

Edit: although when we go forward, Kay naturally gets forward more, so Hobson is filling that gap in a bit.  Generally it's compact, heavily possession based (no long ball), and looking to restrict opposition getting big chances.  Think this could work well in away games

That’s how England have set up the last couple of games isn’t it? 

3 hours ago, Simpo said:

Watch out for us looking off the pace, you can always tell when one team is playing their first friendly and the other team aren't...

I was completely wrong here btw, shows me that they've made good use of the last five days in Scotland.

Showed a really good attitude towards the game in general, beginning with a long huddle before the kickoff.

Perhaps looking to set a standard of workrate from now on that was lacking last season.

Positive start, one of the better friendlies, reckon I'll leave it now till August 10th though, save maybe a trip to Radcliffe

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Nice to hear the midfield looks a lot more dynamic, and whisper it- can actually string 3 passes together. 

It’s no surprise to hear Monthe, Rags, and Hobson look dominant. That back 3 will be a massive strength for us this season 

My memory must be deceiving me but I remembered Monthe at Tranmere from our time playing them and thought he was a bit of a donkey with ball at feet but will win everything in the air. Whilst he’ll win everything in the air, he was excellent with ball at feet and running out from defence and not just looking to hoof it. Massive improvement on Hogan, after that showing.