Stockport County (H)

Decent performance that. We looked very organised and sharp all over the pitch. 

Conlon looked like the player we thought we had signed, hopefully he continues that into the season. Lundstram took a bit to get into the game but once he did he linked up well with the other midfielders. 

Reid needs to be given a chance, he looks super fit and sharp. 

Thought the central midfielder trialist number 31 was the best player for us 2nd half. 

He was only given half hour but Willoughby unfortunately just doesn’t look up to it. He’s really slow, small, weak, not great movement. Shame. 

Hammond and more so Charsley really struggled to put any sort of stamp on the game. The midfield felt better to me once Gardner was on with Lundstrum and Conlon. 

Dominant back 3. Stockport created naff all, they just passed it side to side all game. 

Doro looks like he might have something. Looked aggressive. 

Not bad that though. Positive signs which is all you can hope for in friendlies really. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daniel said:

My memory must be deceiving me but I remembered Monthe at Tranmere from our time playing them and thought he was a bit of a donkey with ball at feet but will win everything in the air. Whilst he’ll win everything in the air, he was excellent with ball at feet and running out from defence and not just looking to hoof it. Massive improvement on Hogan, after that showing.

I think in this league I’d take a monster over a ball playing centre half, but it’s good to hear he can be both. 

What did you make of Charsley? 

1 minute ago, Hemel latic said:

Triallist goalie reckoned to be Scott Maloney of FCUM and Triallist A, Charlie Kirk, late of Crewe.

I don’t think it was Kirk. Looked nothing like him. 

Whoever he was he was very good today though.

1 minute ago, Hemel latic said:

Triallist goalie reckoned to be Scott Maloney of FCUM and Triallist A, Charlie Kirk, late of Crewe.

I thought Charlie Kirk was a wide player though, which threw me off as he played central. Looked tidy though.

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think in this league I’d take a monster over a ball playing centre half, but it’s good to hear he can be both. 

What did you make of Charsley? 

Similar to Lundstram I thought he looked tidy enough but wasn’t massively involved in the game. Their midfield dominated possession 1st half though, without doing anything with it, so will be interesting to see more of him when it’s us expected to dictate play and dominate midfield. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Triallist  keeper supports the Hudson chat then ? 

Possibly, but I don’t think MM fancies Norman so wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign a keeper anyway. 

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

Possibly, but I don’t think MM fancies Norman so wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign a keeper anyway. 

Also we signed Dan Langley last season when we already had two keepers.

Well I was really pleased with that today, we tried to play football at every opportunity including every dead ball, it's amazing how more efficient we looked when the players show for each other and work that little bit harder, you can see where Mellon is trying to go with the group and it was dare I say it quite an enjoyable watch, I thought the trialist (31) did okay and I thought an earlier poster was harsh on Willoughby, he contributed well and linked midfield and attack in a deeper No 10 role. Not a hoof in sight other than one from Hogan after an hour so that was quite refreshing. 

They all contributed today and despite making a raft of substitutes still caused County a few problems, can't remember Hudson having to get too serious and we coped quite well with a team two divisions higher. On to the next one but plenty to be optimistic about.

Nice to see Reid involved, he's kept himself in great condition and it looks like the doors been opened for a return to the fold.

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Well I was really pleased with that today, we tried to play football at every opportunity including every dead ball, it's amazing how more efficient we looked when the players show for each other and work that little bit harder, you can see where Mellon is trying to go with the group and it was dare I say it quite an enjoyable watch, I thought the trialist (31) did okay and I thought an earlier poster was harsh on Willoughby, he contributed well and linked midfield and attack in a deeper No 10 role. Not a hoof in sight other than one from Hogan after an hour so that was quite refreshing. 

They all contributed today and despite making a raft of substitutes still caused County a few problems, can't remember Hudson having to get too serious and we coped quite well with a team two divisions higher. On to the next one but plenty to be optimistic about.

Nice to see Reid involved, he's kept himself in great condition and it looks like the doors been opened for a return to the fold.

Re reid from his ig posts he has been smashing the gym since Jan looks like theres not an ounce of fat on him  .

One big thing I took away from today was the professionalism shown both on and off the pitch!  
It was a massive improvement on last season. 
Credit to MM because he ‘knows what looks good’, not just on the pitch but behind the scenes too and he’s made significant changes in both departments.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Nice to hear the midfield looks a lot more dynamic, and whisper it- can actually string 3 passes together. 

It’s no surprise to hear Monthe, Rags, and Hobson look dominant. That back 3 will be a massive strength for us this season 

Hobson played right back. 

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Hobson played right back. 

Looked more like he played right side in a back 3. Kitching and Kay wing backs. Hobson went wide when Hudson had the ball, otherwise was right, and Monthe left side of Raglan who was central.

• Like 1