Stockport County (H)

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I think in this league I’d take a monster over a ball playing centre half, but it’s good to hear he can be both. 

What did you make of Charsley? 

He started wide left but drifted central, didnt have the impact of right winger Kay who was strong and aggressive.  

Conlon was the best player on the field and the player we all hoped he would be. 

All in all a much  tougher outfit than last season and that auguers well. 

Ps Giant centre back Monthe was different class. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

Looked more like he played right side in a back 3. Kitching and Kay wing backs. Hobson went wide when Hudson had the ball, otherwise was right, and Monthe left side of Raglan who was central.

Kitching was a definite wing back today, even leaving throw-ins to Monthe.

The 3 at the back really suits our personnel and as has already been said Monthe looked good bringing the ball out.

• Like 1

Good start, looked organised but didn’t offer much going forward until the young lad came on left wing. Tried to play from back and nearly caught a few times need to bin that as not good enough to be playing like that from goal kicks. Conlon decent but from deep d midfield needs to do that work in oppo half and he’ll be useful. Monthe stood out, kitching did well. Rwb was dire for me, and looked slow. Reid showed he still has a part to play here, need more in midfield as lundstrom and Hammond aren’t good enough. Stockport dire, no cutting edge at all. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Good start, looked organised but didn’t offer much going forward until the young lad came on left wing. Tried to play from back and nearly caught a few times need to bin that as not good enough to be playing like that from goal kicks. Conlon decent but from deep d midfield needs to do that work in oppo half and he’ll be useful. Monthe stood out, kitching did well. Rwb was dire for me, and looked slow. Reid showed he still has a part to play here, need more in midfield as lundstrom and Hammond aren’t good enough. Stockport dire, no cutting edge at all. 

Playing out from goal is OK but Hudson needs to "put his foot through it" now and again when he's under too much pressure instead of playing "murder balls" into midfielders with markers on top of them.

Thought Lundstram did OK but it does help when your main distributor ( Conlon ) is having a stormer.

• Like 1

Trialist 31 supposedly is Diego José Esquivel McGann, a Northern Irishman with Costa Rican citizenship. 19-year-old who has been on the books of Linfield and Larne but seemingly never made a senior appearance. Add it to the annuls of Liandro Martis, Willie Gros, Diego Cervero. 

MM said in his interview too that he only played the system they played due to Ogle getting injured last week. Supposedly he had a small issue on Wednesday so they changed it on Thursday so hopefully it's only a knock.

15 minutes ago, samgoafc said:

Trialist 31 supposedly is Diego José Esquivel McGann, a Northern Irishman with Costa Rican citizenship. 19-year-old who has been on the books of Linfield and Larne but seemingly never made a senior appearance. Add it to the annuls of Liandro Martis, Willie Gros, Diego Cervero. 

MM said in his interview too that he only played the system they played due to Ogle getting injured last week. Supposedly he had a small issue on Wednesday so they changed it on Thursday so hopefully it's only a knock.

It is Diego.

Also - why not tell us how bad the knock to Ogle is? 

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Charsley was written off as shite by someone near me after about 4 mins. Then about 15 mins. And so on

Thanks for sharing but it’s only one person who might be a total plank.

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

I must have been at a different game to you.

We need to play it out as the other alternative is hopeless hoofs from last season, granted Hudson needs to go long on occasions but we had a plan today and it worked to a degree, keeping the ball and finding the pass under pressure will stand us in good stead particularly against poorer teams than County.

Lundstrum and Hammond both played their part and had good games, I'm not sure I know what some fans want.

We played a team two divisions above, restricted them to very little, played it about with confidence, looked strong and fit in all departments, kept a clean sheet, won and gave twenty players a run out in our first game on the back of an extremely tough week in Scotland that they travelled back from yesterday, oh and we had three starters out injured as well.

Plenty to be positive about.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I must have been at a different game to you.

We need to play it out as the other alternative is hopeless hoofs from last season, granted Hudson needs to go long on occasions but we had a plan today and it worked to a degree, keeping the ball and finding the pass under pressure will stand us in good stead particularly against poorer teams than County.

Lundstrum and Hammond both played their part and had good games, I'm not sure I know what some fans want.

We played a team two divisions above, restricted them to very little, played it about with confidence, looked strong and fit in all departments, kept a clean sheet, won and gave twenty players a run out in our first game on the back of an extremely tough week in Scotland that they travelled back from yesterday, oh and we had three starters out injured as well.

Plenty to be positive about.

We don’t have to play it out at all especially when under pressure plus our no.9 main skill is heading and hold up. Conlon good but deep, others didn’t really offer anything other than controlled sidewards passing. They will need to offer a lot more for us to be top side in the league 

26 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It is Diego.

Also - why not tell us how bad the knock to Ogle is? 

Mellon just said he's injured and he suffered a knock on Wednesday so had to change the system and they have a few injured. Presume if he plays or is in the squad at Rylands on Tuesday or against Lincoln next Saturday, we'll soon know. Supposedly that Faal too was in the main stand so presume he'll play Tuesday.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

We don’t have to play it out at all especially when under pressure plus our no.9 main skill is heading and hold up. Conlon good but deep, others didn’t really offer anything other than controlled sidewards passing. They will need to offer a lot more for us to be top side in the league 

Hoofing it aimlessly was our main downfall last season, as good as Fondop is at competing for the aerial ball it's not a tactic that will see us top the league.

As for Conlon playing deep we need that, Conlon and Lundstrum sat in and we played through them with Charsley and Hammond further forward. 

We created plenty today against a team who'll go well in League 1.

12 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I’m sure that Conlon was confirmed as captain by the Oldham times when the season finished

I mentioned it at the back end of the season Brad.

17 hours ago, inspectormorose said:

Crowd just shy of 2200, not bad, receipts should cover Dan Gardners medical bills for this season.

The actual home crowd is on a par, if not more than, quite a few teams in our division get for league games.

Our hard-core fanbase never ceases to amaze me. Was there anything new e.g food and drink kiosks in the RRE?

Guest O.A.F.C.
14 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

What do I win?

*Awaits O.A.F.C with his boring generic response*...

I'm living in your head rent free...

43 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

The actual home crowd is on a par, if not more than, quite a few teams in our division get for league games.

Our hard-core fanbase never ceases to amaze me. Was there anything new e.g food and drink kiosks in the RRE?

Lots on twitter about how expensive the food was - £4 for 14 chips caught my eye.

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Hoofing it aimlessly was our main downfall last season, as good as Fondop is at competing for the aerial ball it's not a tactic that will see us top the league.

As for Conlon playing deep we need that, Conlon and Lundstrum sat in and we played through them with Charsley and Hammond further forward. 

We created plenty today against a team who'll go well in League 1.

One of my many random thoughts last year while watching our hopeless end to the season was the difference between the aimless hoofing you describe and a good, well-directed long ball. Still a place for the latter, particularly with Fondop but shouldn't be Plan A and need to be well executed.  

14 hours ago, Careca9 said:

This is exactly the sort of attitude that leads to the aimless hoofball we've suffered from for years... 

As soon as that becomes our default approach, teams will stick their biggest and most aggressive centre-half on Fondop and neutralise him completely.

Let's try to play some decent passing football for a change, and use the long ball sparingly and effectively when it's appropriate to. 

• Like 4