I don’t get this ‘it’s only friendlies etc” 

these matches are obviously used to get fitness in but also they should be for shaping the style of play we want to be striving for.

They should be winning these types of games to start the season with a formation which the players are comfortable with and confidence is high. Strikers get confidence from scoring (against any level of opposition) 

Like last season we are sleep walking into the season and we know where that leads too.

This preseason has been worse than last seasons and those that think that come the 1st game we are suddenly goung to find the magic formula are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Edited by Bluemood
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, JoeP said:

Friendlies mean nothing and there's two weeks to go.

I'm sure Mellon's going to put a side together over the next two weeks that'll have a different version of what we've seen of Lundstram and Conlon in games that matter and a side that can get the best out of Norwood. That will mean completely changing the system from last season.

He knows what good looks like. Definitely.....😬

You won't see any different from Lundstram, his first instinct is to turn back on himself then pass it sideways. We need a dynamic central attacking midfielder who runs at defenders or nothing will change. 

Why a Shelton clone was signed in Charsley beats me.  He needs to show more life than he's done so far. 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

See you all at Warrington on Tuesday.....

Ditch 1 of the 3 centre backs and 2 of the 3 defensive midfielders,  get some wingers in and an attacking midfielder. Won't happen though. 

10 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

We start poor anything like last season wild calls will grow. I was told he wants 12 months out but feel he will be our manager  sooner 

Dont want him . Nearly man,bottled it again with Barrow . Quite happy with Mellon he will get it right  once all the crap has been weeded out 

2 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I don’t want him here. I feel Mellon will succeed but fans will turn quick that’s why it’s imperative he gets off to a good start. 

We need a creative player who can actually retain the ball. We also need two wide men who can chip in with a couple of goals. 

Feel like we are still a way off and won’t get the start we want. 

Luckily, we have some of the “easier” fixtures to begin with. 

Edited by LightDN123

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

We need a creative player who can actually retain the ball. We also need two wide men who can chip in with a couple of goals. 

Easier fixtures 😂😂😂

like last seasons, 1st game Southend.

no players signed , only a squad of 12 , no pre season training games except 1 against local pub team. 
Remind me how that went.

9 hours ago, hollandspies said:

If only the rest of MM’s new signings to date were as impressive as that of Manny Monthe then we might not be scratching our heads so much at this stage of pre season.

Kay and Ogle look OK but both have had injury problems which is a concern early season. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

The easy fixtures are our problem, think Mickleover, Hendon and Kidderminster. 

Same with the pre season games against lower league clubs. 

There seems to  be a lacksadaisical mindset in the squad which needs rooting out. 

The best teams won't take it easy against anyone, they have that pride of performance and winning mentality no matter who the opposition. 

Did big Joe's team take it easy against Scarborough? they could have done but put 7 past them. 

We have lost that desire and it needs to be restored or we are going nowhere. 

Play without passion against Braintree and we are in for a big shock. 

• Like 1

Mellon isn't going anywhere let's get that straight, he must have been worried about yesterday though because it was way off what was required, I'd rather we have a shocker at Radcliffe than at home first game to Braintree so there's still time to work things out, what worries me though is that from about February his teams have played for draws and struggled for wins, that's the best part of six months now where we've been easy to play against, yesterday some of the new lads looked like they were morphing in to the style of play from the back end of last season and that was a huge worry.

From yesterday I thought Monthe and Hudson played well, Raglan and Lundstrum did okay but the rest were either shocking or anonymous which is a huge worry given three of those were players from last season.

What's Reid still doing here?, what's he bringing to the table in a football sense?, he's been awful in pre season and offered the team nothing, Mellon tried to accommodate the two up top yesterday but they were a massive disappointment and neither could complain if they were replaced in the next week or two.

We have had opportunities to bin players off like Gardner, Fondop, probably Reid but they are still here holding us back, honestly I don't care about the fist pumps and kissing the badge I want to see players who do their talking on the pitch and we don't have enough of those, looking at these trialists as well we really are scraping the barrel aren't we, Khan is a bit meh and that Senior yesterday was embarrassing so it's not looking great from a strengthening point of view days before the season starts.

Unfortunately I think we will now go one up top, keep it tight and try to pinch games like we did at home to Lincoln and Stockport, midfield still doesn't look capable and we have a strike force misfiring at an alarming rate, plenty to work on this week but I fear this squad has been found out already by part time footballers.

• Like 1

I went yesterday. 

We looked exactly how I thought we would - neat and tidy our own half and relatively solid. But absolutely toothless going forward. We created one clear cut in the first half, and nothing in the second. Lots of huffing and puffing with no real quality or patterns of play. 

The one chance fell to Mikey - he was one and one with the keeper and he put 3 foot wide. I love him, but he’s not good enough to start. Reid looks shot of confidence, he’s half a yard short of everything, he’s trying- but he couldn’t get near players from a division below. He needs a fresh start somewhere else. 

People say friendlies don’t matter, and no results don’t- but the performances do. If you’re not looking to build performances- then why play them, just have training matches instead. I think MM agrees and it’s why he frustrated. There was going the through at times and I think Mellon wants more than- we’ll turn up when it matters. Although why he is surprised the front two aren’t giving him enough is baffling. 

If we start the season with that team (which our strongest available 11 by the way) then we aren’t doing anything notable. Expect a lot of bore draws with the odd 1-0 win/loss. 

• Like 1

Some interesting reading on here, and hard to argue about the fact that we were very ordinary yesterday. I’m still not going to overreact though, which I said after the better 2 home performances. The one thing I will say is that for the majority of this pre-season we have created enough chances to win games, but the problem has obviously been finishing them. We’ve played all pre-season with a very ordinary strike-force and so I hold some hope in that goals will come when players like Norwood and Garner return, along with a few more signings. 
I’m still also of the belief that this pre-season has been better than last pre-season and that we’ll be better than last season. I also expect the league to be once again piss poor, so if we can get the striker situation resolved we’ll challenge top 7. Is challenging Too 7 enough, no, but thats where I see it. 

Also - this ‘new midfield’ which has two players from last season and one new player. All 3 of Charsley/Lundy/Conlon are much of muchness to me. All neat and tidy players, but no one penetrates nor do we have an attacking midfielder on the bench someone who will run at people and create something in between the lines. We look predictable in my view. 

• Like 1

Just now, League one forever said:

Also - this ‘new midfield’ which has two players from last season and one new player. All 3 of Charsley/Lundy/Conlon are much of muchness to me. All neat and tidy players, but no one penetrates nor do we have an attacking midfielder on the bench someone who will run at people and create something in between the lines. We look predictable in my view. 

We don’t have a midfielder who can break up play, we don’t have one who will drive with the ball and we don’t have one which can provide a creative spark. 

They can all look after the ball and keep possession but we are still missing so much.