17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We don’t have a midfielder who can break up play, we don’t have one who will drive with the ball and we don’t have one which can provide a creative spark. 

They can all look after the ball and keep possession but we are still missing so much.

To be fair they all compete and don’t mind a tackle so I think we’re ok for a holding midfielder. But otherwise I agree - we desperately need that creative spark or someone willing to run at their defenders. 

Mellon has another problem in that his three best players other than Hudson are his three centrehalfs so it's almost forcing him to play a 3-5-2 or the 3-4-2-1 we played in the home friendlies, 3-4-2-1 looked incredibly solid at home to Stockport and Lincoln but you are reliant on your one up top being a bit better and more reliable than Fondop, would someone like a Smith or an Harker do a better job?, Norwood or Garner would but we are told they are weeks away. Fondop doesn't appear to have the football intelligence to make the right decisions, I know that's harsh but it's true.

3-5-2 just weakens the midfield particularly if Kitch and Ogle play on the touchline, these two really need to tuck in more when we have two up top but then you sacrifice the width.

My fear is again we will end up playing a system that doesn't suit to try and accommodate all our best players.

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Mellon has another problem in that his three best players other than Hudson are his three centrehalfs so it's almost forcing him to play a 3-5-2 or the 3-4-2-1 we played in the home friendlies, 3-4-2-1 looked incredibly solid at home to Stockport and Lincoln but you are reliant on your one up top being a bit better and more reliable than Fondop, would someone like a Smith or an Harker do a better job?, Norwood or Garner would but we are told they are weeks away. Fondop doesn't appear to have the football intelligence to make the right decisions, I know that's harsh but it's true.

3-5-2 just weakens the midfield particularly if Kitch and Ogle play on the touchline, these two really need to tuck in more when we have two up top but then you sacrifice the width.

My fear is again we will end up playing a system that doesn't suit to try and accommodate all our best players.

MM has said on a number of occasions that he knows what good looks like - so I’d love to know what he sees with Fondop? 🤔

Mikey, for all his enthusiasm and interaction with the fans, is NOT what good looks like. Far from it.

He should be nowhere near starting come August 10. He definitely lacks football intelligence and is a liability on the pitch. 

Matt Smith… if only that rumour had not proved to be unfounded 😮

19 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

MM has said on a number of occasions that he knows what good looks like - so I’d love to know what he sees with Fondop? 🤔

Mikey, for all his enthusiasm and interaction with the fans, is NOT what good looks like. Far from it.

He should be nowhere near starting come August 10. He definitely lacks football intelligence and is a liability on the pitch. 

He’s playing because there’s no one else. He had a better MPG than Norwood last season and scored a lot of his goals coming off the bench. 

Very effective squad member. 

Not good enough for starting 11. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

If he goes with Fondop you have to hope he's gotten all his poor performances out of the way pre season.

Yesterdays match sums him up perfectly in that he missed an absolute sitter yet managed to get in the way of one in his own box for the own goal.

Some preseason he's had with the chances provided to score more own goals than actual goals.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yesterdays match sums him up perfectly in that he missed an absolute sitter yet managed to get in the way of one in his own box for the own goal.

😂😂😂 Typical Mikey. 

To counter that though- he can pull something out of bag from nowhere. 

His unpredictably is his biggest asset and failure. Not consistent enough to start, but very handy off the bench in a dull stale game. 

26 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

This keeps getting trotted out regards MM. I'm sure that was said by him to counter questions about his ability to assemble a good team and spot talent. The suggestion that Fondop is just plain shit is well wide of the mark. He's decent enough player for this level (no higher IMO) and has a decent goalscoring record. His weaknesses are plain to see (poor positional awareness, oversteps the mark too often, has a bad rep amongst refs in the league) but MM is managing a squad budget. He probably sees Fondop as a budget-friendly squad player, on a short contract, effective off the bench (which is his strength IMO) who can force a goal in a match that might be petering out. I don't have too many issues and I'd be much more concerned if he'd blown 70% of the budget on four star L1-level strikers. At the end of the day, strikers command far more wages than other squad players.

FWIW I don't see Fondop as a striker with much more than a future further than the NL and I'm sure that's MM's thinking too. His performance against Wealdstone in a match where plenty others lacked energy and drive was probably a deciding factor. You need people like that in a squad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

This keeps getting trotted out regards MM. I'm sure that was said by him to counter questions about his ability to assemble a good team and spot talent. The suggestion that Fondop is just plain shit is well wide of the mark. He's decent enough player for this level (no higher IMO) and has a decent goalscoring record. His weaknesses are plain to see (poor positional awareness, oversteps the mark too often, has a bad rep amongst refs in the league) but MM is managing a squad budget. He probably sees Fondop as a budget-friendly squad player, on a short contract, effective off the bench (which is his strength IMO) who can force a goal in a match that might be petering out. I don't have too many issues and I'd be much more concerned if he'd blown 70% of the budget on four star L1-level strikers. At the end of the day, strikers command far more wages than other squad players.

FWIW I don't see Fondop as a striker with much more than a future further than the NL and I'm sure that's MM's thinking too. His performance against Wealdstone in a match where plenty others lacked energy and drive was probably a deciding factor. You need people like that in a squad.

Yeah, if we do go up. I highly doubt  Mikey would be kept on. 

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I agree with 90% of this but I can't have it that Mellon has a small budget, it's probably the biggest in the division. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

On performances  I'd leave Hobson out and go with 2  centre backs. 

Full backs and wingers are back in fashion now after Argentina's World Cup and Spain's Euro's win so why not give it a try?

It’s quite obvious to any fan where our problems are. It’s been the same for about 18 months. 

we lack any creativity and a striker to partner Norwood. 

we have statbomb, we have a head of recruitment, we have a manager who knows what good is. Yet we are still persisting with Reid and Fondop. 

the squad recruitment this summer has been very average nobody you think can win us games.

pre season means nothing but it’s very similar to how we finished the season struggling to create and sitting in. 

we need a good solid two weeks now of finding players who will improve us. 

khan is he really the answer? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

It’s quite obvious to any fan where our problems are. It’s been the same for about 18 months. 

we have statbomb, we have a head of recruitment, we have a manager who knows what good is. Yet we are still persisting with Reid and Fondop. 

the squad recruitment this summer has been very average nobody you think can win us games.

pre season means nothing but it’s very similar to how we finished the season struggling to create and sitting in. 

Hard to say since MM hasn't used him much and strangely only gave him a late few minutes at Radcliife. 

Why would he do that? 

I'd play him ahead of Charsley though who has yet to make any impact and looks unfit. 

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Are they persisting with Reid and Fondop or is it just circumstances such as injuries? Stones, Garner and Norwood will give Oldham enough ammunition. My main concern is the board reacting to fans backlash when we inevitable drop points due to teething issues early in the season...

53 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Are they persisting with Reid and Fondop or is it just circumstances such as injuries? Stones, Garner and Norwood will give Oldham enough ammunition. My main concern is the board reacting to fans backlash when we inevitable drop points due to teething issues early in the season...

I’m still not convinced we get Stones. Even if it’s a loan he will be recalled in 6 months. 

we miss Norwood. I don’t know why fans are so against him. 

46 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I’m still not convinced we get Stones. Even if it’s a loan he will be recalled in 6 months. 

we miss Norwood. I don’t know why fans are so against him. 

Because he doesn’t smile or salute the fans. 

Guest O.A.F.C.
1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Mellon dropping points early in the season on top of not winning a game since February will result in a fans backlash.  We have been patient up to now 

Guest O.A.F.C.
4 minutes ago, daniel said:

Because he doesn’t smile or salute the fans. 

Or does fist bumps or give himself a nickname