2 hours ago, daniel said:

Because he doesn’t smile or salute the fans. 

No, because in his own head, he's way to good to be turning out for the likes of Oldham

Not bothered if he disappeared, there's far better youngsters who'd gladly give more in his shirt.

Edited by Littlemoor Lad
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

No, because in his own head, he's way to good to be turning out for the likes of Oldham

Not bothered if he disappeared, there's far better youngsters who'd gladly give more in his shirt.

Sorry but you cannot say that as fact. You don’t know the bloke or know what he’s thinking, so you can’t possibly pass on judgement about his mentality and what goes on in his head. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

He has played in this league for two clubs who you could argue are smaller than us. 

The argument that he thinks he’s too good to be here is rubbish. He’s frustrated at the quality around him. 

We are going to struggle to score until he’s back. Let’s hope the fans who have gone out of there way to abuse him for the last 6 months havnt demolished our biggest hope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Sorry but you cannot say that as fact. You don’t know the bloke or know what he’s thinking, so you can’t possibly pass on judgement about his mentality and what goes on in his head. 

No he can’t say that. But we do have eyes, and as Micky says- I watch with my eyes. So what we can say is that his performance against Chesterfield at home wasn’t replicated enough for a player of his quality. We need his all round game, and to often he goes missing. Maybe he’s pissed off, maybe he gets frustrated, maybe that’s bollocks. But his performances say he isn’t at it enough. He’s judged differently because he’s the best player and top earner. He can and should be the difference in most games. 

Oh, and can we stop the lazy line about no one likes him because he doesn’t smile. 🤦🏻‍♂️ He could tell us to fuck off - if he performs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Let’s pray he isn’t frustrated then, and he can lift himself out of his 5k a week malaise to turn up for us. because one thing we do agree on is, we need him. 

Back at it with the £5k argument. 

He demands a certain level of standard and if the players around him can’t deliver that, he will naturally be frustrated. Doesn’t matter how much you earn. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He demands a certain level of standard and if the players around him can’t deliver that, he will naturally be frustrated. Doesn’t matter how much you earn. 

He might be in a position to make demands of others if his own performances had been any good, unfortunately for him and us they haven't been...

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Back at it with the nothing is his responsibility argument. 

He demands a certain level of performance- fine. Match it yourself and lead by example- he did it in one game. 

No player can just stand there demanding while not giving their best. Maybe if he spent less time being demanding and more time leading by example we would see the benefit. 

If you think any player should be untouchable and above any criticism then fine, but I don’t. 

36 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Back at it with the nothing is his responsibility argument. 

He demands a certain level of performance- fine. Match it yourself and lead by example- he did it in one game. 

No player can just stand there demanding while not giving their best. Maybe if he spent less time being demanding and more time leading by example we would see the benefit. 

If you think any player should be untouchable and above any criticism then fine, but I don’t. 

He was our top scorer by an easy distance? He’s here to score goals and got naff all service. 

54 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No he can’t say that. But we do have eyes, and as Micky says- I watch with my eyes. So what we can say is that his performance against Chesterfield at home wasn’t replicated enough for a player of his quality. We need his all round game, and to often he goes missing. Maybe he’s pissed off, maybe he gets frustrated, maybe that’s bollocks. But his performances say he isn’t at it enough. He’s judged differently because he’s the best player and top earner. He can and should be the difference in most games. 

Oh, and can we stop the lazy line about no one likes him because he doesn’t smile. 🤦🏻‍♂️ He could tell us to fuck off - if he performs. 

You mention this Chesterfield game a lot! It was our best overall “team” performance where everyone appeared ”at it”, so maybe that allowed Norwood to have his best game also because the quality around him was better. I’m pretty confident his running stats for the Chesterfield game would match his average from other games thereabouts. He’s on paper our best player, but if the quality around you doesn’t stack up then he isn’t going to impact games as he should because he’s not that brilliant, where he can do it alone. 
Have you been on social media much since he’s been here? It’s literally a case of people disliking him for not smiling, whinging and being a miserable bastard. If he’d have come in to the club all singing and smiling and done a little silly fist pump at the end of a game our fans would be completely different towards him. 

I went to the game on Saturday, 400 mile round trip, glad it wasn't the only reason for the trip. Much of what I felt about the performance has already been said but my main takeaways:

1. The performance was worryingly reminiscent of late season, no cutting edge, very few chances created. We're missing Kay, Norwood and Garner but even with them would there be that creative cutting edge? I also agree that a real yard dog in the middle of the park wouldn't go amiss, Conlon has an edge but generally we're too nice.

2. Ogle should finally solve the RB/RWB conundrum, hope he stays fit.

3. But Hobson looks half the player he did when we signed him, confidence low even after his break. 

4. A tough debut for Courtney Senior, I do feel for these lads effectively auditioning for their professional futures but there was little to suggest he has a future at the club. If you look at his record, like many of these triallists, it screams journeyman. Where are the young, hungry players that will bust a gut to play at a club like Oldham? Don't really see the point of giving Otis Khan so little game time unless a decision has already been made.

5. We still lack pace and power throughout the team.

6. I watched the game between the dugouts and was interested to see the contrast between our current management team and Shez/Tommy Wright two years. There was far less profanity, I'll give you that.

Now, I know Mike Fondop didn't have his best 90 minutes but I'm not sure how being berated and criticized for the first 45 minutes helped with that? At one point Brabin shouted at him that he should have anticipated a ball across the box. That's like saying, you should have scored when you're through on goal. It's not coaching, it's criticism. 

I'm not a happy clapper but where does the positivity come from in our management team?

And too much information from the sideline, not enough clarity. At one point Monthe took a free kick near the sideline and was given at least four conflicting instructions, before Conlon (5th tier Butch Wilkins) sidled in and played the ball.........sideways.

Based on Saturday and the additions to the squad so far I have little optimism for anything much better than last season. We will be tough to beat in most games but create few chances. We'll chuck in the odd good performance and the odd shocker and struggle against hungry smaller clubs that fancy a go against us. The last couple of pieces of the jigsaw are very important.         

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I went to the game on Saturday, 400 mile round trip, glad it wasn't the only reason for the trip. Much of what I felt about the performance has already been said but my main takeaways:

1. The performance was worryingly reminiscent of late season, no cutting edge, very few chances created. We're missing Kay, Norwood and Garner but even with them would there be that creative cutting edge? I also agree that a real yard dog in the middle of the park wouldn't go amiss, Conlon has an edge but generally we're too nice.

2. Ogle should finally solve the RB/RWB conundrum, hope he stays fit.

3. But Hobson looks half the player he did when we signed him, confidence low even after his break. 

4. A tough debut for Courtney Senior, I do feel for these lads effectively auditioning for their professional futures but there was little to suggest he has a future at the club. If you look at his record, like many of these triallists, it screams journeyman. Where are the young, hungry players that will bust a gut to play at a club like Oldham? Don't really see the point of giving Otis Khan so little game time unless a decision has already been made.

5. We still lack pace and power throughout the team.

6. I watched the game between the dugouts and was interested to see the contrast between our current management team and Shez/Tommy Wright two years. There was far less profanity, I'll give you that.

Now, I know Mike Fondop didn't have his best 90 minutes but I'm not sure how being berated and criticized for the first 45 minutes helped with that? At one point Brabin shouted at him that he should have anticipated a ball across the box. That's like saying, you should have scored when you're through on goal. It's not coaching, it's criticism. 

I'm not a happy clapper but where does the positivity come from in our management team?

And too much information from the sideline, not enough clarity. At one point Monthe took a free kick near the sideline and was given at least four conflicting instructions, before Conlon (5th tier Butch Wilkins) sidled in and played the ball.........sideways.

Based on Saturday and the additions to the squad so far I have little optimism for anything much better than last season. We will be tough to beat in most games but create few chances. We'll chuck in the odd good performance and the odd shocker and struggle against hungry smaller clubs that fancy a go against us. The last couple of pieces of the jigsaw are very important.         

I would be very surprise if Otis Khan doesn't sign. He played about 10 minutes in right back on Saturday. What's the point if hes not already signed? 

22 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

I would be very surprise if Otis Khan doesn't sign. He played about 10 minutes in right back on Saturday. What's the point if hes not already signed? 

Why was he brought on so late? Didn't make sense to me. 

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Why was he brought on so late? Didn't make sense to me. 

Im going for decision already made and just threw him on for some pointless minutes. 

2 hours ago, daniel said:

You mention this Chesterfield game a lot! It was our best overall “team” performance where everyone appeared ”at it”, so maybe that allowed Norwood to have his best game also because the quality around him was better. I’m pretty confident his running stats for the Chesterfield game would match his average from other games thereabouts. He’s on paper our best player, but if the quality around you doesn’t stack up then he isn’t going to impact games as he should because he’s not that brilliant, where he can do it alone. 
Have you been on social media much since he’s been here? It’s literally a case of people disliking him for not smiling, whinging and being a miserable bastard. If he’d have come in to the club all singing and smiling and done a little silly fist pump at the end of a game our fans would be completely different towards him. 

But that's not really part of this discussion.  No one sensible cares about any of that.  I care about him appearing fed-up and resentful to be here in a lot of game he plays.  Blaming others is no good for the team.  Don't want to play with National League players?  Don't play for a National League club.  You're going to be surrounded by players of a lower standard than you're used to.  Don't roll your eyes when they miss that run that you make that a League One player would see..and hold your hands up to acknowledge that you fucked-up when you slice a corner when you're defending the near post, gifting the opposition a goal.

Of course penalties count and are not a freebie, but they're a nice little way of boosting your stats.  He's not dragged the team through in many a game last season in the way you'd expect an experienced senior-pro to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, daniel said:

I don't know the bloke past the fact that he's wearing a Latics shirt and very well paid to do it but I still think he'd be better served elsewhere and I bet he'd take anything above his current level.

He doesn't fit here and that's my thinking, he can think whatever he wants.

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Just a nonsense comment. Ignore him 

Plenty of strikers in this league that would perform far better in an Oldham shirt than Norwood 

Mellon's own son would most certainly show Billy Big knackers up and run rings round him at the same time.

Don't put all your faith in someone who can't be arsed, IF he gets his act together then great.

We shall see.