3 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

I went to the game on Saturday, 400 mile round trip, glad it wasn't the only reason for the trip. Much of what I felt about the performance has already been said but my main takeaways:

1. The performance was worryingly reminiscent of late season, no cutting edge, very few chances created. We're missing Kay, Norwood and Garner but even with them would there be that creative cutting edge? I also agree that a real yard dog in the middle of the park wouldn't go amiss, Conlon has an edge but generally we're too nice.

2. Ogle should finally solve the RB/RWB conundrum, hope he stays fit.

3. But Hobson looks half the player he did when we signed him, confidence low even after his break. 

4. A tough debut for Courtney Senior, I do feel for these lads effectively auditioning for their professional futures but there was little to suggest he has a future at the club. If you look at his record, like many of these triallists, it screams journeyman. Where are the young, hungry players that will bust a gut to play at a club like Oldham? Don't really see the point of giving Otis Khan so little game time unless a decision has already been made.

5. We still lack pace and power throughout the team.

6. I watched the game between the dugouts and was interested to see the contrast between our current management team and Shez/Tommy Wright two years. There was far less profanity, I'll give you that.

Now, I know Mike Fondop didn't have his best 90 minutes but I'm not sure how being berated and criticized for the first 45 minutes helped with that? At one point Brabin shouted at him that he should have anticipated a ball across the box. That's like saying, you should have scored when you're through on goal. It's not coaching, it's criticism. 

I'm not a happy clapper but where does the positivity come from in our management team?

And too much information from the sideline, not enough clarity. At one point Monthe took a free kick near the sideline and was given at least four conflicting instructions, before Conlon (5th tier Butch Wilkins) sidled in and played the ball.........sideways.

Based on Saturday and the additions to the squad so far I have little optimism for anything much better than last season. We will be tough to beat in most games but create few chances. We'll chuck in the odd good performance and the odd shocker and struggle against hungry smaller clubs that fancy a go against us. The last couple of pieces of the jigsaw are very important.         

Some great points here and I took the opportunity to stand by the bench, Brabin is a strange one appeared to me he brought absolutely nothing in a coaching sense, gave Fondop shit incessantly for 45 and then chose to try and over encourage Courteney Senior like some father of an eight year old turning out for his first game for the duration of the second half, it was embarrassing and weird behaviour given all we hear is that the players lack confidence as a result of being given shit from the stands, I'm also not sure the players appreciate hearing about three different voices feeding the different bits of information all at the same time, do a bunch of 30 year old need micro managing to that degree?, surely everything has been worked on and it's the leaders on the pitch who should be doing the prompting during the game, let them play for fuck sake, for instance why is the keeper coach shouting on how many Hudson needs in the wall, surely the keeper makes that call rather than someone with a side view?. All this may be perfectly normal but I've got to say I wouldn't appreciate being given pelters bordering on abuse for the duration of the game.

3 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

I went to the game on Saturday, 400 mile round trip, glad it wasn't the only reason for the trip. Much of what I felt about the performance has already been said but my main takeaways:

1. The performance was worryingly reminiscent of late season, no cutting edge, very few chances created. We're missing Kay, Norwood and Garner but even with them would there be that creative cutting edge? I also agree that a real yard dog in the middle of the park wouldn't go amiss, Conlon has an edge but generally we're too nice.

2. Ogle should finally solve the RB/RWB conundrum, hope he stays fit.

3. But Hobson looks half the player he did when we signed him, confidence low even after his break. 

4. A tough debut for Courtney Senior, I do feel for these lads effectively auditioning for their professional futures but there was little to suggest he has a future at the club. If you look at his record, like many of these triallists, it screams journeyman. Where are the young, hungry players that will bust a gut to play at a club like Oldham? Don't really see the point of giving Otis Khan so little game time unless a decision has already been made.

5. We still lack pace and power throughout the team.

6. I watched the game between the dugouts and was interested to see the contrast between our current management team and Shez/Tommy Wright two years. There was far less profanity, I'll give you that.

Now, I know Mike Fondop didn't have his best 90 minutes but I'm not sure how being berated and criticized for the first 45 minutes helped with that? At one point Brabin shouted at him that he should have anticipated a ball across the box. That's like saying, you should have scored when you're through on goal. It's not coaching, it's criticism. 

I'm not a happy clapper but where does the positivity come from in our management team?

And too much information from the sideline, not enough clarity. At one point Monthe took a free kick near the sideline and was given at least four conflicting instructions, before Conlon (5th tier Butch Wilkins) sidled in and played the ball.........sideways.

Based on Saturday and the additions to the squad so far I have little optimism for anything much better than last season. We will be tough to beat in most games but create few chances. We'll chuck in the odd good performance and the odd shocker and struggle against hungry smaller clubs that fancy a go against us. The last couple of pieces of the jigsaw are very important.         

Some great points here and I took the opportunity to stand by the bench, Brabin is a strange one appeared to me he brought absolutely nothing in a coaching sense, gave Fondop shit incessantly for 45 and then chose to try and over encourage Courteney Senior like some father of an eight year old turning out for his first game for the duration of the second half, it was embarrassing and weird behaviour given all we hear is that the players lack confidence as a result of being given shit from the stands, I'm also not sure the players appreciate hearing about three different voices feeding the different bits of information all at the same time, do a bunch of 30 year old need micro managing to that degree?, surely everything has been worked on and it's the leaders on the pitch who should be doing the prompting during the game, let them play for fuck sake, for instance why is the keeper coach shouting on how many Hudson needs in the wall, surely the keeper makes that call rather than someone with a side view?. All this may be perfectly normal but I've got to say I wouldn't appreciate being given pelters bordering on abuse for the duration of the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Getting rid of our top scorer by a mile from last season because he's a bit sulky would be absolutely peak Oldham Athletic 

I'd take Matt Smith over him any day

That's if we could prise him away from his House of Dragon's 😉

8 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Plenty of strikers in this league that would perform far better in an Oldham shirt than Norwood 

Mellon's own son would most certainly show Billy Big knackers up and run rings round him at the same time.

The guy who's playing in L1? Yeah, a realistic target right there.

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Plenty of strikers in this league that would perform far better in an Oldham shirt than Norwood 

Mellon's own son would most certainly show Billy Big knackers up and run rings round him at the same time.

Don't put all your faith in someone who can't be arsed, IF he gets his act together then great.

We shall see.

I suspect Mellon's son would be better, which is probably why he'll be playing in L1 next season

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

if he stands there silently with his hands in his pockets you probably moan about that 🙄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daniel said:

You mention this Chesterfield game a lot! It was our best overall “team” performance where everyone appeared ”at it”, so maybe that allowed Norwood to have his best game also because the quality around him was better. I’m pretty confident his running stats for the Chesterfield game would match his average from other games thereabouts. He’s on paper our best player, but if the quality around you doesn’t stack up then he isn’t going to impact games as he should because he’s not that brilliant, where he can do it alone. 
Have you been on social media much since he’s been here? It’s literally a case of people disliking him for not smiling, whinging and being a miserable bastard. If he’d have come in to the club all singing and smiling and done a little silly fist pump at the end of a game our fans would be completely different towards him. 

If he plays well- it’s because the team showed up to help him. 

If he doesn’t play well- it’s because he is surrounded with shite. 

Do you see the correlation- it’s never his fault if he doesn’t perform. He is above criticism and doesn’t need to take any responsibility. . 

Every time he comes up for discussion the lack balance is comical. 

Here’s my Balance. 

I think he’s our best player. 

I think he’s our best goal scorer. 

I think he could be the difference in a lot of games. 

I love watching him play when he’s at it. 

But

Our best player seems frustrated by players who are way below his level and can’t do what he wants. He demands they play better. . . Well, either don’t sign for a side in the national league- or help them improve through your own play. 

Because of the above he hasn’t been the difference he can and should be in a lot games. The simple fact is, we get his chesterfield performance we win more games. 

21 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Yes, his last loan club was Dundee and Stockport are still a smaller club than us

I don’t think young footballers making decisions about which club to play for give a shiny shit that we were in the premier league 30 years ago. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If he plays well- it’s because the team showed up to help him. 

If he doesn’t play well- it’s because he is surrounded with shite. 

Do you see the correlation- it’s never his fault if he doesn’t perform. He is above criticism and doesn’t need to take any responsibility. . 

Every time he comes up for discussion the lack balance is comical. 

Here’s my Balance. 

I think he’s our best player. 

I think he’s our best goal scorer. 

I think he could be the difference in a lot of games. 

I love watching him play when he’s at it. 

But

Our best player seems frustrated by players who are way below his level and can’t do what he wants. He demands they play better. . . Well, either don’t sign for a side in the national league- or help them improve through your own play. 

Because of the above he hasn’t been the difference he can and should be in a lot games. The simple fact is, we get his chesterfield performance we win more games. 

without his goals and assists we got relegated last season

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

without his goals and assists we got relegated last season

Can never know that without replaying the whole season without him in it. But even if we could I don’t think we would have gone down with Reid, Nuttall, Kurt, Mikey and Garner joining later. 

43 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Yes, his last loan club was Dundee and Stockport are still a smaller club than us

Genuinely remarkable that you think a young lad trying to build his career might rather play in the National League than League One, when he's already done well in League Two.   Just fantasy.

41 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Genuinely remarkable that you think a young lad trying to build his career might rather play in the National League than League One, when he's already done well in League Two.   Just fantasy.

No

I'm compering him as an example of being a raw up and coming youngster who'd be far more up for it than Norwood is

Even "I'm a loser" at Alty would pose more of a threat and hes a winger

58 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

No

I'm compering him as an example of being a raw up and coming youngster who'd be far more up for it than Norwood is

Even "I'm a loser" at Alty would pose more of a threat and hes a winger

Sorry, that might as well have been in Serbo-Croat 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I too took the opportunity to stand by the dugouts and noticed the same things. The micro-managing thing was fascinating. Either it’s OTT or Fondop genuinely needs it, in which case that’s a sad indictment on a player who has been a pro for a number of years now

16 minutes ago, south east latic said:

I too took the opportunity to stand by the dugouts and noticed the same things. The micro-managing thing was fascinating. Either it’s OTT or Fondop genuinely needs it, in which case that’s a sad indictment on a player who has been a pro for a number of years now

It’s pretty well documented that Fondop needs constant coaching. 

8 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

They probably have to do it to stop him getting himself sent off every game

Big Mike wears his heart on his sleeve and feeds off the fan's adulation 

He always gives the opposition something to think about and that's why we need him to make the odd appearance 

39 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Big Mike wears his heart on his sleeve and feeds off the fan's adulation 

He always gives the opposition something to think about and that's why we need him to make the odd appearance 

I couldn’t care less what he does to the fans. If he keeps missing key chances he can leave the club just like Hallam Hope. 

Edited by LightDN123

20 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I couldn’t care less what he does to the fans. If he keeps missing key chances he can leave the club just like Hallam Hope. 

Beggars can't be choosers or haven't you realised?

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

It’s pretty well documented that Fondop needs constant coaching. 

Who says so?, I've managed for the majority of my working life and I can't think of one person in that time who would respond positively to the tripe I heard coming from the bench on Saturday, it wasn't even constructive at times, I get it - some need an arm round them and others a kick up the backside but endless sniping never helped anyone, if he still needs that level of scrutiny and coaching why are persevering as we clearly are not seeing the best of him. When they cross the line on a Saturday it's too late to start coaching and directing, I've not really experienced that before as I sit well away from the dugouts but I'd be staggered if that relationship he has with the coaching staff is helping his game.

23 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Who says so?, I've managed for the majority of my working life and I can't think of one person in that time who would respond positively to the tripe I heard coming from the bench on Saturday, it wasn't even constructive at times, I get it - some need an arm round them and others a kick up the backside but endless sniping never helped anyone, if he still needs that level of scrutiny and coaching why are persevering as we clearly are not seeing the best of him. When they cross the line on a Saturday it's too late to start coaching and directing, I've not really experienced that before as I sit well away from the dugouts but I'd be staggered if that relationship he has with the coaching staff is helping his game.

Simple answer is, he shouldn’t be here.