Warrington Rylands (A)

4 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

I’ve not been on here for a while, so probably missed this, but what’s happened to Alfie Atherton? Not signed and joined another club?

Binned us off, I don’t think he has officially signed somewhere yet but he’s had trials at Everton and Burnley in recent weeks. 

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

How bad was Norman's error?, it appears he's playing for a move. How can Mellon trust him after his last two performances in a Latics shirt.

Do players play badly for a move?

I don't know what happened to him. He was doing alright and was then dropped for Hudson and it seems to have shattered his confidence. 

23 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Do players play badly for a move?

I don't know what happened to him. He was doing alright and was then dropped for Hudson and it seems to have shattered his confidence. 

I also think it's more likely confidence, struggling with a game here, a half there. If we bring in Maloney and Hudson stays he'd surely benefit from a loan move. 

1 hour ago, aaronoafc said:

Binned us off, I don’t think he has officially signed somewhere yet but he’s had trials at Everton and Burnley in recent weeks. 

Gutted I never got to see him play. Sounded like an exciting talent.

52 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Hopefully Magnus can return to the form we all know he is capable of, he was once the best goalkeeper in the league.

Norman can not be #1 he isn’t good enough gets beaten far to often from distance 

• Like 1

Does the number of triallists suggest we're low on budget for further signings? They all seem fairly low budget. Did we use any triallists in last summer's pre-season? Don't remember any appearing in friendlies.

1 minute ago, Hemel latic said:

Does the number of triallists suggest we're low on budget for further signings? They all seem fairly low budget. Did we use any triallists in last summer's pre-season? Don't remember any appearing in friendlies.

This is my feeling there’s not much budget left. None of the trialist are really exciting. Adshead would be good but I don’t think we need another holding midfielder.

still feel we need a creative midfield and a striker, someone who can run. 

8 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

This is my feeling there’s not much budget left. None of the trialist are really exciting. Adshead would be good but I don’t think we need another holding midfielder.

still feel we need a creative midfield and a striker, someone who can run. 

I think we are still short out wide, not sure the kid from Dale has been brought in with a view to being a starter week after week.

Still think we need 2 or 3 quality additions if we are going to be serious.

2 hours ago, aaronoafc said:

I understand the door is open should he does decide to take the clubs contract offer. 

11 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

I rarely defend Fondop but I actually thought he slipped before making contact with their player.

I could easily be wrong though, as it’s Fondop we’re talking about and he hasn’t got a brain cell.

Was impressed with the keeper in the first half. Comfortable claiming aerial balls, very good with his short passing but his long balls need improving.

That Adshead looked alright, just needed to release the ball a bit earlier on a few occasions. Would give him another game to try and impress.

The other trialists were bobbins though.

Norman needs putting down.

Sutton was decent as the right sided CB.

Willoughby also looked bright but he was played as a #10 which was odd.

Cant really be used as an excuse, but that pitch was crap. The grass was very long and you wouldn’t find a single 3mx3m patch find the middle of a spirit level. Bumpy all over the show.

Why do the club choose friendlies with clubs who have poor pitches, we have did this in the past with Ashton United. 

Curzon Ashton and Stalybridge Celtic have always had good surfaces and easy for fans to get to so why go to Warrington and Southport for night matches?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Good run out, all about building the fitness levels up.

After the week in Scotland you'd have thought they were already far fitter than a part time team.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I think we are still short out wide, not sure the kid from Dale has been brought in with a view to being a starter week after week.

Still think we need 2 or 3 quality additions if we are going to be serious.

Yep, I feel we need someone else there.

looking at our team I have us around mid table. Two or three quality additions maybe a loan or two would help. 

1 hour ago, welshgaz said:

How has Charsley gone on so far? Seems to have played wide left in a front 3 so far? I had him down as a centre mid.

Thought he was bobbins on Saturday tbh but he was playing basically as a winger and kept drifting in. He was the only played pulled at HT. 

I believe he was a lot better yesterday though. I think once he gets settled and played in his proper position he’ll be alright. 

The bookies have us down as finishing 2nd/3rd but I can’t say im as convinced. 

Defensively I think we’re okay.

Midfield is better than last season by the looks of it but do we have that creative player who can get a load of assists and chip in with 10 goals himself? I dont think we do. I feel like every team we play (last couple of years) has a 5 foot nothing midfielder who just runs the show. Do we hope that is Conlon? 

We can’t be going into the season with Fondop as our main man up top. 

Echo what a few have said here but I think we’re 2/3 quality signings from even being a play off side. 

12 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Yep, I feel we need someone else there.

looking at our team I have us around mid table. Two or three quality additions maybe a loan or two would help. 

That would be a reasonable finish in the middle of such a long term project.

30 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Thought he was bobbins on Saturday tbh but he was playing basically as a winger and kept drifting in. He was the only played pulled at HT. 

I believe he was a lot better yesterday though. I think once he gets settled and played in his proper position he’ll be alright. 

The bookies have us down as finishing 2nd/3rd but I can’t say im as convinced. 

Defensively I think we’re okay.

Midfield is better than last season by the looks of it but do we have that creative player who can get a load of assists and chip in with 10 goals himself? I dont think we do. I feel like every team we play (last couple of years) has a 5 foot nothing midfielder who just runs the show. Do we hope that is Conlon? 

We can’t be going into the season with Fondop as our main man up top. 

Echo what a few have said here but I think we’re 2/3 quality signings from even being a play off side. 

Well said. We created so few chances last season, even when we were going well. Conlon and Kay give me a bit of hope, but we need that Stones-esque runner up front plus the other signings you and others have mentioned.

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Please no. We need some young strikers. 

I wouldn't be totally averse to it, but we need to play with two strikers.  He'd be a good target man to hold it up/lay it off to one of the others.

After us giving him a chance in the game, he scored the goal to send us down to this godforsaken league so he owes us to get us back out of it!