Warrington Rylands (A)

If we signed Smith that would mean 4 strikers all over the age of 30 that would be a bad move. If we had a group of young quick strikers it would be a a great signing to compliment them. Fondop and Garner can both play the roll of target men even Norwood to a lesser extent. If we sign a striker it needs to be someone who cam run in behind and run the channels. Stones obviously fits that but if we can't get him then someone of a similar ilk.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If we signed Smith that would mean 4 strikers all over the age of 30 that would be a bad move. If we had a group of young quick strikers it would be a a great signing to compliment them. Fondop and Garner can both play the roll of target men even Norwood to a lesser extent. If we sign a striker it needs to be someone who cam run in behind and run the channels. Stones obviously fits that but if we can't get him then someone of a similar ilk.

Shouldn’t have signed Fondop and I would have taken him no issue. The right sort of player needed in this league and 20+ goals in the league above last year, shows he is still an asset 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If our 4 strikers are Fondop, Norwood, Garner and Smith we ain’t getting out of this division. 

Why? If the midfield do their jobs there are lots of goals in that strikeforce. 

2 minutes ago, daniel said:

Why? If the midfield do their jobs there are lots of goals in that strikeforce. 

Balance isn’t right with them 4. Not one of them will stretch the defence, maybe Fondop if he learns how to control the ball. 

26 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Balance isn’t right with them 4. Not one of them will stretch the defence, maybe Fondop if he learns how to control the ball. 

Well we all said we need some additional pace from midfield and on the wings last season. If we get that, the strikeforce will be fine. 3 of those strikers scored 30+ league goals for us last season, with the worst midfield we’ve ever had. Adding Smith who scored 24 in the league above would mean our 4 strikers scored a combined 55+ league goals last season. A competent midfield ensures those strikers scores goals.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daniel said:

Well we all said we need some additional pace from midfield and on the wings last season. If we get that, the strikeforce will be fine. 3 of those strikers scored 30+ league goals for us last season, with the worst midfield we’ve ever had. Adding Smith who scored 24 in the league above would mean our 4 strikers scored a combined 55+ league goals last season. A competent midfield ensures those strikers scores goals.

Let’s see, none of them are coming on to change a game. 

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

Shouldn’t have signed Fondop and I would have taken him no issue. The right sort of player needed in this league and 20+ goals in the league above last year, shows he is still an asset 

Ofcourse he'd be an asset at this level but in the right team and with the right players around him, and I don't think we offer that if you were to look at the other strikers at the club.

Teams will be able to push up the pitch against us knowing that our strikers won't run in behind. Plus as has already been shown with Garner and Norwood once you get past 30 then it's more likely you are going to get injured and it often takes longer to recover.

Edited by GlossopLatic

My biggest worry with our strikers two of them are going to be out for a decent period. 36 and 33 with no pre season it’s going to be really hard for them to get fit quick. 

Willoughby is well out of favour playing behind the strikers. 

Reid we don’t have a clue will he be involved or not. He’s not really prolific. 

I hope we still aren’t waiting for Stones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

I wouldn't be totally averse to it, but we need to play with two strikers.  He'd be a good target man to hold it up/lay it off to one of the others.

After us giving him a chance in the game, he scored the goal to send us down to this godforsaken league so he owes us to get us back out of it!

He celebrated it as well knowing full well it meant we were down. He’s dead to me.

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

After us giving him a chance in the game, he scored the goal to send us down to this godforsaken league so he owes us to get us back out of it!

Porter 'owed' us after screwing us over to Motherwell on a free. That turned out well.

35 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I hope we still aren’t waiting for Stones.

There's no way Wigan are going to start the season with Stones as their main target man. I believe the deal is still possible. If it's worth it, you'll wait for it.

We're signing at least 2-3 more yet and possibly 1-2 in on loan to cover the absence of Norwood / Garner. Also a couple more will leave too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Porter 'owed' us after screwing us over to Motherwell on a free. 

Always worth reminding people that Porter owed us fuck all, and we did far worse to Paul Warne. :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ackey said:

Always worth reminding people that Porter owed us fuck all, and we did far worse to Paul Warne. :) 

Correct.  So often fans seem to think that a couple of years' contract to a club with which a player has no other affiliation means there should be a pledge of undying fealty rather than making thee most of a short career.  Contractual obligations are where it's at, nothing more.

Edited by Dave_Og

11 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

He celebrated it as well knowing full well it meant we were down. He’s dead to me.

What if he scores 30 goals and takes us to promotion? 

12 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

He owes us nothing. As for his celebration well the goal was scored at the end of the ground where the Salford fans were and it was a fairly reserved celebration. He hardly did an Emmanual Adebayor and race the length of the pitch to flick the vs at the Athleticos. Ian Marshall did worse when he scored for Ipswich at Boundary Park on his first game for them and openly celebrated to the Chsddy end we can forgive that we can forget this.

Fan theory would bringing in Smith mean Norwood would be on the way out?

Edited by GlossopLatic

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

He owes us nothing. As for his celebration well the goal was scored at the end of the ground where the Salford fans were and it was a fairly reserved celebration he hardly did an Emmanual Adebayor and race the length of the pitch to flick the vs at the Athleticos.

I think it more likely Garner would be off.

11 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Reminds me of a pillock I used to work with years ago. Would never go to a leaving drink because he said that anyone who left the business was 'dead to him'. Then he got made redundant...

If you want loyalty, get a dog.

On 7/18/2024 at 9:12 AM, GlossopLatic said:

He owes us nothing. As for his celebration well the goal was scored at the end of the ground where the Salford fans were and it was a fairly reserved celebration. He hardly did an Emmanual Adebayor and race the length of the pitch to flick the vs at the Athleticos. Ian Marshall did worse when he scored for Ipswich at Boundary Park on his first game for them and openly celebrated to the Chsddy end we can forgive that we can forget this.

Ian Marshall was before my time, I only started following in the Craig Dudley and Steve Whitehall era.

Can imagine that was galling to see at the time 

On 7/18/2024 at 9:31 AM, Dave_Og said:

Reminds me of a pillock I used to work with years ago. Would never go to a leaving drink because he said that anyone who left the business was 'dead to him'. Then he got made redundant...

If you want loyalty, get a dog.

Thats a bit extreme on the pollocks part.

its interesting though, I don’t post much and certainly dont do so to get responses however this was the first post of its type and garnered 3 responses.

I see why Monty Burns is the way he is  now