Southport (A) 23/07/24 Pre Season

I haven’t been to any pre season games yet but what I find confusing is a few people have told me how much better we look as a unit now “night and day” from last season. I’m keeping in mind it’s a fitness exercise of course but I thought the results might reflect the improvement.  

Just now, True Tic said:

I haven’t been to any pre season games yet but what I find confusing is a few people have told me how much better we look as a unit now “night and day” from last season. I’m keeping in mind it’s a fitness exercise of course but I thought the results might reflect the improvement.  

The two games were what will probably be as near as dammit to the starting XI has played, they've won and drawn against two League One clubs

Funnily enough, there wasn't the same hyperbole on here after those results. Yet the reserves lose to Southport...

1 minute ago, True Tic said:

Think it's night and day between the Saturday line-up and the Tuesday lot of trialists and fringe players, some of whom we are still looking to get shut of so we can strengthen the squad.

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

The two games were what will probably be as near as dammit to the starting XI has played, they've won and drawn against two League One clubs

Funnily enough, there wasn't the same hyperbole on here after those results. Yet the reserves lose to Southport...

To be fair I didn’t see who we played tonight team wise, a load of trialists ?

Just now, Boyyou said:

Think it's night and day between the Saturday line-up and the Tuesday lot of trialists and fringe players, some of whom we are still looking to get shut of so we can strengthen the squad.

This. We saw probably only TWO of our starting eleven (Kay & Ogle) - of the rest: 

there were four trialists, two others who have been asked to find another club, three squad players …

I wouldn’t panic just yet…

3 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

I'd be surprised if we are not trying to shift Willoughby and Reid, probably Norman and Hogan, with Kofi Moore maybe going out on loan.

Still time for some wheeling and dealing, although I agree it would be better sooner rather than later.

10 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

The pride of what? It's a friendly game to build fitness up. The manager said as much before the game

You really think reserves and trialists should put no effort in? 

They should be busting a gut to impress the manager. 

What about part timers Southport, why didn't their players take it easy? 

24 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

So much of our support wants managers to fail. Because what else would they have to whinge about? Its fucking tedious

Don't despair it's not "so much" it just seems that way because it is the same people moaning over and over again.

I would say most of our support realise it was more of a reserve side tonight and will see how the actual season goes.

13 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

At least some of our support isn't completely incapable of nuance and can see the distinction.

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

As always judge MM and the squad after 10 games of the actual season. 

Don't know where this 10 game shit comes from. Bad first 10 games and we're fu...d. like last year and the year before.Not that I dislike Mellon.

Edited by diggleblue
Fat fingers

6 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

At least some of our support isn't completely incapable of nuance and can see the distinction.

Can see now why Mcfluff loses patience with some.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diggleblue said:

Don't know where this 20 game dhit comes from. Bad first 10 games and we're fu...d. like last year and the year before.Not that I dislike Mellon.

Not sure what you mean by 20 games. 

But 10 games is a decent sample size to see how the squad is shaping up within the division. 

I was calling for Unsworths head after about game 4/5 it was that bad. 

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You really think reserves and trialists should put no effort in? 

They should be busting a gut to impress the manager. 

What about part timers Southport, why didn't their players take it easy? 

I'd imagine in the case of Willoughby Reid and Hogan they just don't want to get injured playing for a club that doesn't want them.

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Not sure what you mean by 20 games. 

But 10 games is a decent sample size to see how the squad is shaping up within the division. 

I was calling for Unsworths head after about game 4/5 it was that bad. 

Sorry meant 10 games not 20.

23 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'd imagine in the case of Willoughby Reid and Hogan they just don't want to get injured playing for a club that doesn't want them.

It doesn’t really matter, they’re in contract and even injured they’d still be getting paid.

Willoughby himself has said he wants to fight for a place and if he’s not in the team he will still want to impress interested clubs.

5 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Did Otis khan play?

Yeah, him and Ogle played well. Burgess had a blinder for Southport. Philliskirk and Renshaw also played for them. They were far more physical with plenty of tackles flying in. We were toothless up top.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ceskylatic said:

Yeah, him and Ogle played well. Burgess had a blinder for Southport. Philliskirk and Renshaw also played for them. They were far more physical with plenty of tackles flying in. We were toothless up top.

How did Reid play?