Southport (A) 23/07/24 Pre Season

15 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

He was anonymous, apart from missing a penalty early on.

He was at Warrington and again against Lincoln.

We need to get shut of him, along with Willoughby & Hogan!!

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He was at Warrington and again against Lincoln.

We need to get shut of him, along with Willoughby & Hogan!!

I can’t argue with any of that. Maybe MM wants Ridehalgh in as cover at LB and CB instead of Hogan. Willoughby wasn’t playing tonight, but from what I’ve seen I agree with the York fans who said he’s not up to NL level.

8 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

It doesn’t really matter, they’re in contract and even injured they’d still be getting paid.

Willoughby himself has said he wants to fight for a place and if he’s not in the team he will still want to impress interested clubs.

They won't be getting a move if they get injured. I wouldn't believe what Willoughby said when he said he's staying to fight for his place, he was probably just giving a journalist a soundbite.

The trialists on the otherhand that's a different story they are literally on trial and should perform they've got to prove we should give them a deal. Although perhaps thats a blessing in disguise we find out about them now, because if they can't do it on a nice warm evening in a friendly against Southport then they aren't going to be able to do it for us next April in the run in when the pressure is on to get 3 points.

I asked a former top flight player how he treated pre seasons friendlies against lower opposition, it seems some of our fringe players don't agree. 

"We played a lot of lower placed teams because it created a competitive edge. Everyone wanted to beat us because we were very famous. We prided ourselves in not losing to this type of team". 

Mellon made it clear that the midweek friendlies were being used purely for getting minutes into legs. That’s it. Utterly pointless making conclusions about the standard of squad or our likely finishing position off the back of them alone. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Mellon made it clear that the midweek friendlies were being used purely for getting minutes into legs. That’s it. Utterly pointless making conclusions about the standard of squad or our likely finishing position off the back of them alone. 

Minutes yes, but no point seeing multiple triallists play unless we want to see how they do

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Minutes yes, but no point seeing multiple triallists play unless we want to see how they do

The only trialist that looks decent is Khan. But is that position a priority ? 

We need a striker, wide players and a holding midfield player. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

The only trialist that looks decent is Khan. But is that position a priority ? 

We need a striker, wide players and a holding midfield player. 

Another winger yes absolutely for me. Variety is needed and for me he’s abit more direct than the others. It’s whether he stays injury free or not. 

Certainly need another two strikers for me, one pacy and a hold up powerhouse. Hopefully Willoughby and Reid will go elsewhere to free the budget. 

Edited by adamoafc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Just seen a picture and it was him.

Yeah sold for a fair bit by Dogdale early in his career, didn't really do too much but think he's struggled with injuries. Fylde fans from memory wanted to keep him. But more whether we need another player in that position. A player like Khan more pressing as well as maybe another striker.

11 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

They won't be getting a move if they get injured. I wouldn't believe what Willoughby said when he said he's staying to fight for his place, he was probably just giving a journalist a soundbite.

The trialists on the otherhand that's a different story they are literally on trial and should perform they've got to prove we should give them a deal. Although perhaps thats a blessing in disguise we find out about them now, because if they can't do it on a nice warm evening in a friendly against Southport then they aren't going to be able to do it for us next April in the run in when the pressure is on to get 3 points.

I'd like to think the fact that Willoughby is now out of the door that this theory has been proved correct.

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'd like to think the fact that Willoughby is now out of the door that this theory has been proved correct.

Give over, it’s easier to say I’m going to fight for a place rather than……as soon as  I can get away from here, I’m off!!

11 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Give over, it’s easier to say I’m going to fight for a place rather than……as soon as  I can get away from here, I’m off!!

Come on he will have known full well the other night that the Chester deal was in the pipeline when he took to the pitch at Southport the last thing he's going to want to do was go all in and potentially get injured as that was the only thing was going to stop the move.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Come on he will have known full well the other night that the Chester deal was in the pipeline when he took to the pitch at Southport the last thing he's going to want to do was go all in and potentially get injured as that was the only thing was going to stop the move.

He wasn’t at Southport!😆