BPAS PODCAST: 29th July '24, S5E1: with Micky Mellon & Darren Royle

Find all our links https://linktr.ee/oafcpodcast!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking https://www.buymeacoffee.com/oafcpodcast

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk/, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our https://www.youtube.com/@oafcpodcast to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are https://linktr.ee/kupoduk productions.

Laticsmind theme composed, recorded and produced by https://www.youtube.com/@BuzzardonGuitar at King Buzzard Studios in Shaw.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at https://www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com/

Edited by BPAS
  • Like 2

• BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST: 29th July '24, S5E1: with Micky Mellon & Darren Royle

Listened to this just now.

A few comments:

The rebuilding of the club continues at a pace - and that has never been in doubt. The new owners and senior management are working hard towards this.

Getting the right squad in place is a balancing act but he has brought in some better players.
There is a playing budget but we are coming to the very end of that - still working hard to bring a couple of players in.

Mellon talks the talk about what he wants from his teams and what he believes is needed for success.

He understands why the fans are desperate for success. 
It’s a difficult league and he wants to win it - but last season we weren’t good enough -oh, and he still clings to the fact that we played some top teams in last season’s run in hence the poor finish to the season…

This season is about improving…

As a general comment, I thought that the tone of the podcast was too ‘chummy’ and not enough direct question were asked by Matt and Andy.

(Eg. has he sat down and chatted with Reid, is he worried by the away defeats in pre-season, when does he expect Norwood and Garner to return, is he looking at bringing in a striker who can play the holdup role etc)

My main takeaway from the answers given by manager and the CEO is that we are still work in progress both off and on the pitch.

I wanted to come away from the podcast convinced  that Mellon will get us playing winning football this season - I am not sure I did.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the pod, great to have it back and make the Monday slightly easier. 

The biggest discussion for me was surrounding the culture of the club. It is without a doubt the hardest thing to change, made even harder by our recent history and decline. 

As a fanbase, we need to be aware of this ongoing culture shift. It is so easy to get heated, especially on match days. But we need to think of the bigger picture and our input into slowly turning what was a sinking ship around. 

Fingers crossed for the first few games of the season, as the knives will be out if not. Which is a huge shame. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Listened to this just now.

A few comments:

The rebuilding of the club continues at a pace - and that has never been in doubt. The new owners and senior management are working hard towards this.

Getting the right squad in place is a balancing act but he has brought in some better players.
There is a playing budget but we are coming to the very end of that - still working hard to bring a couple of players in.

Mellon talks the talk about what he wants from his teams and what he believes is needed for success.

He understands why the fans are desperate for success. 
It’s a difficult league and he wants to win it - but last season we weren’t good enough -oh, and he still clings to the fact that we played some top teams in last season’s run in hence the poor finish to the season…

As a general comment, I thought that the tone of the podcast was too ‘chummy’ and not enough direct question were asked by Matt and Andy.

(Eg. has he sat down and chatted with Reid, is he worried by the away defeats in pre-season, when does he expect Norwood and Garner to return, is he looking at bringing in a striker who can play the holdup role etc)

My main takeaway from the answers given by manager and the CEO is that we are still work in progress both off and on the pitch.

I wanted to come away from the podcast convinced  that Mellon will get us playing winning football this season - I am not sure I did.

They did ask the Reid question. But Mellon confirmed he hadn’t spoken to him directly, which is even more strange. 

Get the sense Reid is off based on his comments. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

They did ask the Reid question. But Mellon confirmed he hadn’t spoken to him directly, which is even more strange. 

Get the sense Reid is off based on his comments. 

Very strange indeed -MM spoke earlier about the difficult conversations you sometimes have as a manager…or you could just not bother to speak to the player at all I suppose…😮

It was an interesting listen however, Ive not come away excited about the season. 

the only really thing which annoyed me was Mellon saying it was not a collapse. It was a collapse. We couldn’t beat Oxford and teams on the beach like Dagenham and Fylde. 

we’ve got to trust In Micky that he will deliver  

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Very strange indeed -MM spoke earlier about the difficult conversations you sometimes have as a manager…or you could just not bother to speak to the player at all I suppose…😮

This is mentioned in Paul Mullins book… he was at Tranmere with MM (and Norwood) 

Speaks highly of Norwood, not such much MM who when he wasn’t in the team just ignored him. 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I dunno - I think the tone was fine.  It's supposed to be a fairly light-hearted podcast and the questions were framed quite well.  They don't want to piss the club off, because they won't be able to go in again..

You're right in that the signs are that this is not going to be a particularly exciting season, if mere "improvement" is the aim.  It seems like we're rebuilding after 30 years of decline and doing a secondary rebuild after the cock-up with recruitment over the past couple of years.  How long will the rebuild take??  It looks from the outside that everything is in place now for us to be successful...

Interesting what Mellon said about wingers.  The fact that such players just don't really exist any more is a bit of a shame, really.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

I dunno - I think the tone was fine.  It's supposed to be a fairly light-hearted podcast and the questions were framed quite well.  They don't want to piss the club off, because they won't be able to go in again..

You're right in that the signs are that this is not going to be a particularly exciting season, if mere "improvement" is the aim.  It seems like we're rebuilding after 30 years of decline and doing a secondary rebuild after the cock-up with recruitment over the past couple of years.  How long will the rebuild take??  It looks from the outside that everything is in place now for us to be successful...

Interesting what Mellon said about wingers.  The fact that such players just don't really exist any more is a bit of a shame, really.

Hopefully what Williams and Yamal showed at the Euros sparks a resurgence in wing play

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Hopefully what Williams and Yamal showed at the Euros sparks a resurgence in wing play

Best winger I’ve seen at Latics was Ricky Holden - and we’ve had a few good ones in the past 👍

Interesting take that because our name was mud, it prevented us from using the loan system effectively. Iversen, Lang, Surridge, Clarke, Mcalmont were some of our best players in recent years from top clubs such as Leicester, Wigan, Bournemouth, Arsenal and Leeds. 

3 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Interesting take that because our name was mud, it prevented us from using the loan system effectively. Iversen, Lang, Surridge, Clarke, Mcalmont were some of our best players in recent years from top clubs such as Leicester, Wigan, Bournemouth, Arsenal and Leeds. 

I thought that too! 

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Quite. 

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Iversen, Lang, and Surridge all signed for Bunn, it was the second season of AL when money was still being spent, and the absolute shit show it would become wasn’t widely known. As time went on, and things got worse and worse we signed no one near that level on loan if at all. 

Matt Summarised that with our past reputation it will have been difficult to get loan players in, (which it was) and asked if that’s improving now.  Which it clearly is with Stones (Wigan) and Sav (Sheff Utd) 

It was fair question based on the last two seasons of AL and the reputational damage he caused the club. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Iversen, Lang, and Surridge all signed for Bunn, it was the second season of AL when money was still being spent, and the absolute shit show it would become wasn’t widely known. As time went on, and things got worse and worse we signed no one near that level on loan if at all. 

Matt Summarised that with our past reputation it will have been difficult to get loan players in, (which it was) and asked if that’s improving now.  Which it clearly is with Stones (Wigan) and Sav (Sheff Utd) 

It was fair question based on the last two seasons of AL and the reputational damage he caused the club. 

It's bullshit really, I'm sick to death of everything bring blamed on the previous regime, it's just a get out for those at the club now who are not performing be that the CEO, manager, whoever. We are a full two years on yet still keep referencing it, it's tedious now.

Can we please stop bringing up past reputations because it's just not relevant, does anybody actually think anyone within the game isn't aware that the club is now being run in the right way?, we may struggle to bring loanees in but that is probably more to do with the style of football we play than anything else, it certainly isn't because the place is a shit show.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's bullshit really, I'm sick to death of everything bring blamed on the previous regime, it's just a get out for those at the club now who are not performing be that the CEO, manager, whoever. We are a full two years on yet still keep referencing it, it's tedious now.

Can we please stop bringing up past reputations because it's just not relevant, does anybody actually think anyone within the game isn't aware that the club is now being run in the right way?, we may struggle to bring loanees in but that is probably more to do with the style of football we play than anything else, it certainly isn't because the place is a shit show.

I don’t disagree with you, just stating the fact. 

It was difficult. 

Now it isn’t. 

On your wider point, I think the boys are trying to give us an overview of the progress being made in relation to where we were. That won’t wash for many because all some care about is winning games, which I can understand. 

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's a shame for you because it means you are going to have to stay sick to death then because it is true. There is still a lot of stuff lingering from that time.

I have a dislike of certain clubs because the way their fans behaved in the 80s, even though those guys are probably dead now,  so reputations can stick.

I've not listened the pod yet, but I believe in the four (three plus Covid) full seasons we had under Abdallah we had players on loan from 26 clubs. Only United gave us a second player after a proper first spell (Salford giving Dieseruvwe and Pidge within a few days of each other) and Franchise loaning Walker twice.

The fact none of the following would give us a second player (assuming we were interested given we were on the beg for anyone for much of the time) says a bit for reputation:

AFC Bournemouth

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Blackpool

Bristol City 

Burnley

Coventry

Crawley

Doncaster

Leeds

Leicester

Nottingham Forest 

Peterborough 

Plymouth

QPR

Sheffield United

Sheffield Wednesday

Swansea

Tottenham

West Brom

West Ham

Wigan

Wrexham

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

I've not listened the pod yet, but I believe in the four (three plus Covid) full seasons we had under Abdallah we had players on loan from 26 clubs. Only United gave us a second player after a proper first spell (Salford giving Dieseruvwe and Pidge within a few days of each other) and Franchise loaning Walker twice.

The fact none of the following would give us a second player (assuming we were interested given we were on the beg for anyone for much of the time) says a bit for reputation:

AFC Bournemouth

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Blackpool

Bristol City 

Burnley

Coventry

Crawley

Doncaster

Leeds

Leicester

Nottingham Forest 

Peterborough 

Plymouth

QPR

Sheffield United

Sheffield Wednesday

Swansea

Tottenham

West Brom

West Ham

Wigan

Wrexham

Nice research but it means absolutely nothing that we didn't have a second player from them, there could be a whole host of reasons for that including the one you mentioned that we may not even have been interested.

56 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

It's a shame for you because it means you are going to have to stay sick to death then because it is true. There is still a lot of stuff lingering from that time.

I have a dislike of certain clubs because the way their fans behaved in the 80s, even though those guys are probably dead now,  so reputations can stick.

Go on then hit me with it, what's lingering and holding us back other than those it suits dragging it up.

What have we spent then?, about £20 million - and we can't yet look forward.

It's no wonder the clubs incapable of moving on with that mindset.