BPAS PODCAST: 29th July '24, S5E1: with Micky Mellon & Darren Royle

To give a pretty basic example, because the lemsegams wasted what money they had on the likes of menig and others, and didn’t invest anything in the infrastructure of the club, the Rothwells had to use a good chunk of their money on that stuff and therefore had, and probably still have, less available to spend on the playing squad.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeteG said:

Interesting take that because our name was mud, it prevented us from using the loan system effectively. Iversen, Lang, Surridge, Clarke, Mcalmont were some of our best players in recent years from top clubs such as Leicester, Wigan, Bournemouth, Arsenal and Leeds. 

also interesting none of those clubs would loan us another one. 

youre such a try hard 🙄

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Go on then hit me with it, what's lingering and holding us back other than those it suits dragging it up.

What have we spent then?, about £20 million - and we can't yet look forward.

It's no wonder the clubs incapable of moving on with that mindset.

There is nothing to hit you with , it has cost a lot of money to sort lots of things wrong at the club which could have been spent on the playing side if everything was fine behind the scenes.

It's not a mindset, it's true,  that the club was left with a lot of things to sort out. You actually know this so no point mentioning it all.

I think we are moving on, apart from winning matches, but that will fall into place soon.

Regarding looking forward everyone in the club has said we should be winning the league/getting promoted, is that not forward looking enough?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

There is nothing to hit you with , it has cost a lot of money to sort lots of things wrong at the club which could have been spent on the playing side if everything was fine behind the scenes.

It's not a mindset, it's true,  that the club was left with a lot of things to sort out. You actually know this so no point mentioning it all.

I think we are moving on, apart from winning matches, but that will fall into place soon.

Regarding looking forward everyone in the club has said we should be winning the league/getting promoted, is that not forward looking enough?

Their transfer dealings so far this summer don't really suggest that...

25 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

think we are moving on, apart from winning matches, but that will fall into place soon.

This is spot on. 

Define moving on. 

Is the club growing and developing- definitely. 

Is it tangible in the results yet- no, but it will come. 

56 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

To give a pretty basic example, because the lemsegams wasted what money they had on the likes of menig and others, and didn’t invest anything in the infrastructure of the club, the Rothwells had to use a good chunk of their money on that stuff and therefore had, and probably still have, less available to spend on the playing squad.  

The Rothwells have done both. They're investing off the pitch and paying players up to £5k a week. 

There's always room for improvement, but I don't think there's anything left legacy- wise holding us back...

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The Rothwells have done both. They're investing off the pitch and paying players up to £5k a week. 

There's always room for improvement, but I don't think there's anything left legacy- wise holding us back...

They're having to make a big hole in the stand to give access to the fans bar and another exit to ease congestion. Pretty basic, obvious stuff that didn't get thoroughly thought through when Corney was in charge.

I believe we still can't offer monthly payments for season tickets because of our credit status being let slip over the years. That could lose us a bit of money.

Stuff that wouldn't be necessary had the previous owners simply maintained things or kept things on an even keel, let alone actually invest in it.

We'd have more money available for the playing budget if those things weren't still happening. As we go forward the legacy stuff becomes less of an issue, but until they stop having to fix stuff caused by previous negligence then we're still feeling it. So it's not irrelevant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The football (the hardest bit) was always going to take the longest to turn around. 

Imagine if they left the infrastructure to rot, and gambled all their money on 6 Norwood type wages. They would be accused of boom and bust and not looking after the club. 

They have done a great job, and are now reliant on the football people doing theirs. . . 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Because they’re a million and one things that need paying for other than the 26 new players you crave. 

Imagine if we hadn't wasted what we have, the recruitment is a problem now they didn't inherit that.

Let's hope for that success then, my fear is recruitment again will bite us on the arse.

Just now, nzlatic said:

They're having to make a big hole in the stand to give access to the fans bar and another exit to ease congestion. Pretty basic, obvious stuff that didn't get thoroughly thought through when Corney was in charge.

I believe we still can't offer monthly payments for season tickets because of our credit status being let slip over the years. That could lose us a bit of money.

Stuff that wouldn't be necessary had the previous owners simply maintained things or kept things on an even keel, let alone actually invest in it.

We'd have more money available for the playing budget if those things weren't still happening. As we go forward the legacy stuff becomes less of an issue, but until they stop having to fix stuff caused by previous negligence then we're still feeling it. So it's not irrelevant.

Agreed. 

You can’t have all the infrastructure expenditure and a 5/6 million budget every year. They’re wealthy but not that wealthy, and I will never criticise what they do for us all. Because it’s amazing. 

The issue is, has the money that has been allocated to the football operation been used wisely and have we got value for money. No. But we have more than enough in the current pot to do very well. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Because they’re a million and one things that need paying for other than the 26 new players you crave. 

That's fine, don't try pulling the wool over people's eyes though.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Imagine if we hadn't wasted what we have, the recruitment is a problem now they didn't inherit that.

Let's hope for that success then, my fear is recruitment again will bite us on the arse.

See my last post. 

The money allocated to the football operation isn’t an issue and still isn’t an issue. There is enough there to do very well. 

How it’s been spent hasn’t been good enough, and needs to improve. 

Just now, deyres42 said:

That's fine, don't try pulling the wool over people's eyes though.

😂😂😂😂

That’s your best one for a while. 

I think the last time I counted it was just 157 posts from you about the lack of a squad overhaul. 

Meanwhile back in the real world. 

20 players released, loaned or sold. 

2 resigned. 

5 new players. (Micky says a couple more to come in) 

As it stands a 25 player change to the squad, and yet there’s only you who continue’s to claim this isn’t an overhaul. 

Stop trying to pull the Wool over our eyes. 😂😂

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂😂😂

That’s your best one for a while. 

I think the last time I counted it was just 157 posts from you about the lack of a squad overhaul. 

Meanwhile back in the real world. 

20 players released, loaned or sold. 

2 resigned. 

5 new players. (Micky says a couple more to come in) 

As it stands a 25 player change to the squad, and yet there’s only you who continue’s to claim this isn’t an overhaul. 

Stop trying to pull the Wool over our eyes. 😂😂

Exactly, and yet they are still trying to claim the budget hasn't changed and they are aiming for promotion...

#pulltheotherone

15 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Exactly, and yet they are still trying to claim the budget hasn't changed and they are aiming for promotion...

#pulltheotherone

So you don’t actually believe they’re aiming for promotion?

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

#pulltheotherone

I think what you mean is, they haven’t done what you want in your own mind. Which could be anything. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think what you mean is, they haven’t done what you want in your own mind. Which could be anything. 

Whatever they are doing it certainly isn't giving the manager the best chance of achieving promotion...

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

It's not just the Lemsagam era where infrastructure has been neglected for decades before that too. In 30 years we've had 1 stand built which for the majority of its existence wasn't even owned by the club. The majority of that £20 million was buying back Boundary Park. We've made improvements to Little Wembley and Chapel Road which had been neglected for years aswell as the pitch. We are in a far better place off the pitch.

Now on the pitch we've not yet found a complete winning formula. This is the hardest bit of any football club and the part that gets the most recognition. They are learning there have been mistakes but their was always likely to be. The current squad looks 3-4 players light. Last week their was talk of a major improvement on the playing side based on good performances against 2 league 1 sides. Since then we've had a couple of bad results abd performances against poorer sides. If we get wins in our final pre season games plus a couple of additional signings then the mood could shift back the other way pretty quickly.

I'm ok with what Mellon and Royle said in this interview I wasn't expecting them to blow me away with some big statement and I'm ok with that. Alot of being successful will be getting the boring stuff right and consistently over a long period of time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PeteG said:

Interesting take that because our name was mud, it prevented us from using the loan system effectively. Iversen, Lang, Surridge, Clarke, Mcalmont were some of our best players in recent years from top clubs such as Leicester, Wigan, Bournemouth, Arsenal and Leeds. 

Were all loan fees and wages paid on time and in full under the Lemsagam ownership?

Just now, nzlatic said:

Were all loan fees and wages paid on time and in full under the Lemsagam ownership?

Genuine question, are there any examples of clubs refusing to do business with us on this principle?