BPAS PODCAST: 29th July '24, S5E1: with Micky Mellon & Darren Royle

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Nope, I didn’t say that.

You’re making stuff again.

I’m not interested in disagreeing with you, that would imply you could make a coherent argument. But alas, you can’t.  

Your desperation to judge a team that hasn’t played a competitive game and your need to see us fail is just sad.

Ah ok, I must have misunderstood what you were saying, my apologies.

Anyway the forum police are on their beat again telling people what they can and can't post and no doubt I'll have been reported again so best to leave it there, have a good day everyone.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Ah ok, I must have misunderstood what you were saying, my apologies.

Anyway the forum police are on their beat again telling people what they can and can't post and no doubt I'll have been reported again so best to leave it there, have a good day everyone.

Thank f#*k for that! 🥺

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

We need an interview with some hard hitting straight to the point questions, not the same old airy fairy questions the club put out.

I thought it was miles better than the arse-licking they gave Unsworth last year...

7 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

We need an interview with some hard hitting straight to the point questions, not the same old airy fairy questions the club put out.

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

I thought it was miles better than the arse-licking they gave Unsworth last year...

It was still pretty tame though…

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Still not sure what we've learnt in the 80 minutes of ramblings that we didn't know beforehand. Remember Micky Mellon isn't the future of Oldham Athletic. 

18 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

And they'd agree to that....?

9 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

Still not sure what we've learnt in the 80 minutes of ramblings that we didn't know beforehand. Remember Micky Mellon isn't the future of Oldham Athletic. 

He is for the forseeable future.

There are people on here who seem to be obsessed that the club tell us absolutely everything they do, especially when it comes to their money.

Do any other clubs have this complete open book policy? Also why should they tell you everything about their own money?

You have always got to walk a fine line about how much you have because if say you are loaded other clubs/agents inflate the price, say you're skint and players won't want to join in case they don't get paid etc.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

You are expressing your views, which I personally think must be a wind-up :) , but even if they are, or not it is still giving us something to debate which is what the forum is for.

11 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

You are expressing your views, which I personally think must be a wind-up :) , but even if they are, or not it is still giving us something to debate which is what the forum is for.

......but debating the same shit over and over again is a bit boring. 🙂

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Yes true ,  it did feel as though we had stepped back in time , but my posts can't be described as exciting either :)

Although I do try to stay positive as the levels of negativity we sometimes stoop to on here still manages to surprise me.

9 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

People constantly moaning and complaining about what other people are posting whilst adding nothing to the debate themselves could also be seen as a bit boring.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

It was still pretty tame though…

I got the feeling that Mellon wasn't as keen to do it as his predecessor was. In fact, I'm sure he's been interviewed by Dave after a game before and been asked to go on the pod and he said no. I think Andy steers the podcast in the right direction with his hosting...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

Pointless exercise if not, as I said before what have we learnt from the 80 minutes of rambling that we didn't know before?

What would be your top 5 questions if you got the chance?

49 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

People constantly moaning and complaining about what other people are posting whilst adding nothing to the debate themselves could also be seen as a bit boring.

Yes but if you removed the first boring bit you wouldn't get the second boring bit !  😉

8 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Yes but if you removed the first boring bit you wouldn't get the second boring bit !  😉

Sorry to sound boring but this debate between you two about what is boring is boring :)

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 12:14 PM, JoeP said:

I dunno - I think the tone was fine.  It's supposed to be a fairly light-hearted podcast and the questions were framed quite well.  They don't want to piss the club off, because they won't be able to go in again..

You're right in that the signs are that this is not going to be a particularly exciting season, if mere "improvement" is the aim.  It seems like we're rebuilding after 30 years of decline and doing a secondary rebuild after the cock-up with recruitment over the past couple of years.  How long will the rebuild take??  It looks from the outside that everything is in place now for us to be successful...

Interesting what Mellon said about wingers.  The fact that such players just don't really exist any more is a bit of a shame, really.

Abslotute rubbish, Argentina won a World Cup and Spain the Euros with them. 

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

There are people on here who seem to be obsessed that the club tell us absolutely everything they do, especially when it comes to their money.

Do any other clubs have this complete open book policy? Also why should they tell you everything about their own money?

You have always got to walk a fine line about how much you have because if say you are loaded other clubs/agents inflate the price, say you're skint and players won't want to join in case they don't get paid etc.

Forget agents scout your own players. Peterborough will reap massive rewards with their astute recruitment. 

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

How many club sides play with out and out wingers?

Chesterfields wide men were very effective last season.

The role of wingers has evolved abit now they are more wide forwards. In the 90s you had Holden and Adams and to a higher level Giggs and Beckham who would be more suppliers of goals through Crosses. Today we are seeing more wide forwards who are goalscorers this is probably the effect of Ronaldo and Messi changing football but even so the likes of Williams and Yamal for Spain and in the PL the likes of Saka Palmer and Salah all regularly scoring north of 20 goals.

Now some would say that is a million miles from the level we are at. But the last player to score 20 goals for us in 1 season was Connor Mcaleney he spent the season playing and coming in off the flank to score goals, even Devran Green was probably at his most effective either coming in on the back post or making a run inside the full back. Wingers nowadays are more likely to be getting themselves in the box rather than hugging the touchline and putting the ball in.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

What would be your top 5 questions if you got the chance?

Nothing to do with top five questions but I had hoped they would have asked some of the following:

* How serious is the injury to Josh Kay? 
* When do you expect him to be back playing?

* When do you expect Norwood to be back playing?

* Is it a club policy to provide updates on Twitter instead of using the official website?

*Is the club looking to bring in a player to play the lone striker role?

*Was there any substance to the Matt Smith rumours?

*Are the club picking up any of the wages for players out on loan?

*Does the club have any say in prices charged for beer (£5.20 per can) etc?

*When will the third kit be released?
😉

• Like 1

This ‘wingers aren’t effective anymore’ is complete bollocks!

If we did have two decent wingers and played them as such then the vast majority of teams in this division would shit themselves!

All this 443, 433, 4231, talk gets my back up….attack with width & pace and you won’t be far away!

Fast direct counterattacking wing play would probably help us win the league, however, finding the said players may be the difficult part!😆

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

This ‘wingers aren’t effective anymore’ is complete bollocks!

If we did have two decent wingers and played them as such then the vast majority of teams in this division would shit themselves!

All this 443, 433, 4231, talk gets my back up….attack with width & pace and you won’t be far away!

Fast direct counterattacking wing play would probably help us win the league, however, finding the said players may be the difficult part!😆

They seemed to be very effective against us last season!