BPAS PODCAST: 29th July '24, S5E1: with Micky Mellon & Darren Royle

18 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

This ‘wingers aren’t effective anymore’ is complete bollocks!

If we did have two decent wingers and played them as such then the vast majority of teams in this division would shit themselves!

All this 443, 433, 4231, talk gets my back up….attack with width & pace and you won’t be far away!

Fast direct counterattacking wing play would probably help us win the league, however, finding the said players may be the difficult part!😆

I like the idea of playing a 443 does that mean we play Fly Keeper?

21 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Nothing to do with top five questions but I had hoped they would have asked some of the following:

* How serious is the injury to Josh Kay? 
* When do you expect him to be back playing?

* When do you expect Norwood to be back playing?

* Is it a club policy to provide updates on Twitter instead of using the official website?

*Is the club looking to bring in a player to play the lone striker role?

*Was there any substance to the Matt Smith rumours?

*Are the club picking up any of the wages for players out on loan?

*Does the club have any say in prices charged for beer (£5.20 per can) etc?

*When will the third kit be released?
😉

And how many do you think they'd have been happy to answer...

Just now, Dave_Og said:

And how many do you think they'd have been happy to answer...

No idea - but at least the questions would have been asked.

As I said in an earlier post, the tone of the podcast was too ‘chummy’ for my liking - almost as if Matt and Andy, having been allowed the access, were not going to do anything to rock the boat 🥺

16 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

As I said in an earlier post, the tone of the podcast was too ‘chummy’ for my liking - almost as if Matt and Andy, having been allowed the access, were not going to do anything to rock the boat 🥺

Maybe they asked them, were told to mind their own business and edited it... :)

17 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Why should the podcast aim to be rocking the boat? If there's one thing needed this season it's some level of cooperation and relationship building between club and fans. A fans podcast going and demanding a load of specific and largely private information wouldn't fit with that.

I'm all for difficult questions being asked when there is something to be worried about. But when the main gripes are the cost of the catering and player injuries then I don't really see the point of going in aggresively.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Why should the podcast aim to be rocking the boat? If there's one thing needed this season it's some level of cooperation and relationship building between club and fans. A fans podcast going and demanding a load of specific and largely private information wouldn't fit with that.

I'm all for difficult questions being asked when there is something to be worried about. But when the main gripes are the cost of the catering and player injuries then I don't really see the point of going in aggresively.

Shouldn't professional journalists (O/m Times, Chronicle) be asking these questions 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Chesterfields wide men were very effective last season.

The role of wingers has evolved abit now they are more wide forwards. In the 90s you had Holden and Adams and to a higher level Giggs and Beckham who would be more suppliers of goals through Crosses. Today we are seeing more wide forwards who are goalscorers this is probably the effect of Ronaldo and Messi changing football but even so the likes of Williams and Yamal for Spain and in the PL the likes of Saka Palmer and Salah all regularly scoring north of 20 goals.

Now some would say that is a million miles from the level we are at. But the last player to score 20 goals for us in 1 season was Connor Mcaleney he spent the season playing and coming in off the flank to score goals, even Devran Green was probably at his most effective either coming in on the back post or making a run inside the full back. Wingers nowadays are more likely to be getting themselves in the box rather than hugging the touchline and putting the ball in.

Sort of my point really, wingers in the Eyrsey mould who'll get to the byline and get crosses in are a rarity these days, which I'm guessing is what Mellon was alluding to. I'd say there's a lot of players now who would've been wingers in a previous lives who are now full backs, TAA for example, or Kitching for us. 

I'd love to go back to a 442, two wingers flying the flanks and big man small man up top but generally the players for that system don't really exist anymore

As someone mentioned earlier the podcast is supposed to be light hearted whilst still getting the odd bit of info.

I don't think we are at the stage where even the Oldham Times need to be grilling MM and DR too intensely as there are gripes but not world ending ones.

11 minutes ago, BPAS said:

* We didn't ask about injuries to players because the Oldham Times & the official media output competently cover these. Garner and Norwood we've been told were out for 6 weeks about 3-4 weeks ago. They'll be back soon but probably not for the start of the season. I'm sure they'll update us on Kay soon enough.

* Twitter vs website as the preferred channel for comms we don't think is important. They can do it how they want for us. It's not a materially important question in our opinion.

* We asked then about more signings and we asked them about the positions. We also asked about Reid. You can listen to their answers to read between the lines on all these topics.

* We covered the loan players and their wages. Listen again to deduce the answer to your question. It's there for you if you pay attention.

* We didn't get chance to cover catering, but I know the club are looking at catering suppliers.

* Nether of us care about when the 3rd kit will be released. We cared more about covering other topics that we think are more important/informative, like;

- Recruitment & Stats, how it works

- The Academy and their view on it

- How Micky wants his teams to play, the changes he's made to the coaching staff and the players/characters he's signed.

- The finances and budget

- What their expectations and aims were for the upcoming season

You don’t need to justify yourself. 

The pod was an interesting listen. People just have unrealistic expectations on what MM or DR are going to say. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The pod was an interesting listen. People just have unrealistic expectations on what MM or DR are going to say. 

I know.... but I'm happy to tackle it. We've had a reasonable amount of practice at interviewing people for the pod now and we think we're getting better at framing questions. The answers can be found in what people don't say, in as much as what they do, you've just got to pay attention.

We put a good amount of time into prepping what we wanted to ask and how we'd like the conversation to go, however it will naturally ebb and flow and move away from the agenda we've set. We did our best to keep it on track so not to waste any precious time.

We were given an hour, which we are very grateful for, in the end they gave us 80mins. The club are not obliged to talk to us, but they do so because they presumably see the value in it & they know from having dealt with us a number of times now, that we will be as professional as we want them to be in their jobs. It is also important to say that we are not restricted from asking anything and have full editorial control.

Its also worth pointing out that Luke, Su, Darren, Micky, his coaching staff, the players and other club staff, as well as Bill Quinn from Roughyeds, could not have been more accommodating & welcoming. There is a fantastic 'everyone in it together' attitude that permeates the whole club. It makes you proud to be a Latics fan, something not lost on us after the sh1te we had to endure for decades.

It won't all go our way this season I'm sure, but we need to stick together and back them best we can to see how far they can take us. Success is coming. Hopefully sooner rather than later for everyone's sake.

• Like 18

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Spot on. 

I also find it strange how people expect DR and MM to agree to sit down for a grilling, or to answer ‘the hard questions’.  When it’s obvious there are no major concerns,  why should they justify themselves to Matt and Andy. They are doing them a favour by giving them content free of charge. 

Also, as Andy quite rightly points out- if you ask leading non invasive questions, you get the answer you want anyway. It’s human nature that people will be more open when not under threat. Listen for what’s implied and not said. They saw awful lot in that interview without spelling it out. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, BPAS said:

I know.... but I'm happy to tackle it. We've had a reasonable amount of practice at interviewing people for the pod now and we think we're getting better at framing questions. The answers can be found in what people don't say, in as much as what they do, you've just got to pay attention.

We put a good amount of time into prepping what we wanted to ask and how we'd like the conversation to go, however it will naturally ebb and flow and move away from the agenda we've set. We did our best to keep it on track so not to waste any precious time.

We were given an hour, which we are very grateful for, in the end they gave us 80mins. The club are not obliged to talk to us, but they do so because they presumably see the value in it & they know from having dealt with us a number of times now, that we will be as professional as we want them to be in their jobs. It is also important to say that we are not restricted from asking anything and have full editorial control.

Its also worth pointing out that Luke, Su, Darren, Micky, his coaching staff, the players and other club staff, as well as Bill Quinn from Roughyeds, could not have been more accommodating & welcoming. There is a fantastic 'everyone in it together' attitude that permeates the whole club. It makes you proud to be a Latics fan, something not lost on us after the sh1te we had to endure for decades.

It won't all go our way this season I'm sure, but we need to stick together and back them best we can to see how far they can take us. Success is coming. Hopefully sooner rather than later for everyone's sake.

Beat me to it. 

Keep on keeping on Andy. 👍🏻

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

👍 there does seem to be constant insinuations from some quarters that the club aren't being completely honest or are hiding things, for whatever reason. I don't really see what anyone gains from them getting a "grilling" before the season has even started as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

👍 there does seem to be constant insinuations from some quarters that the club aren't being completely honest or are hiding things, for whatever reason. I don't really see what anyone gains from them getting a "grilling" before the season has even started as well.

Even if Matt and Andy had probed alot more their is no reason why Darren or Mickey would necessarily given much more away. Sometimes it's best to play a straight bat to such questions regardless.

We as fans don't need to know about absolutely everything that goes on at the club some stuff should stay in house and we should be fine with that their is no grand conspiracy going on its just much better business practice to do it that way.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I don't think they are being dishonest but just not revealing certain things going on within the club just like every other club does. Why that bothers people I have no idea.

This is not an episode of big brother or a fly on the wall documentary, it's just the staff as OAFC getting on with their jobs and definitely don't have to constantly report what they are doing on a day-to-day basis.

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

* We didn't ask about injuries to players because the Oldham Times & the official media output competently cover these. Garner and Norwood we've been told were out for 6 weeks about 3-4 weeks ago. They'll be back soon but probably not for the start of the season. I'm sure they'll update us on Kay soon enough. 😐

* Twitter vs website as the preferred channel for comms we don't think is important. They can do it how they want for us. It's not a materially important question in our opinion.

* We asked then about more signings and we asked them about the positions. We also asked about Reid. You can listen to their answers to read between the lines on all these topics.

* We covered the loan players and their wages. Listen again to deduce the answer to your question. It's there for you if you pay attention. 🫣

* We didn't get chance to cover catering, but I know the club are looking at catering suppliers.

* Nether of us care about when the 3rd kit will be released. We cared more about covering other topics that we think are more important/informative, like;

- Recruitment & Stats, how it works

- The Academy and their view on it

- How Micky wants his teams to play, the changes he's made to the coaching staff and the players/characters he's signed.

- The finances and budget

- What their expectations and aims were for the upcoming season

Thanks for your comprehensive if rather condescending response lads. Appreciate it.

46 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l'm stunned at the reaction to this pod and can only assume a lack of intelligence on behalf of the reactionaries.

It's entitlement.

It's the belief that as we support the least successful team in the country that we owed something we are not. 

Dont post much any more,  just read what is useful and interesting.

For what its worth I thought the @BPAS podcast and interview was very good, light hearted enough to get MM & DR engaged into talking.

I had no problem with any answers given , seemed honest enough and to the point.

And the podcast got me through a gym session so even better.

When I read criticism of FR, MM & DR etc I just take myself back to our previous regime. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'd love to go back to a 442, two wingers flying the flanks and big man small man up top but generally the players for that system don't really exist anymore

You never see front post flick ons any more do you? They used to create carnage.

48 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

You never see front post flick ons any more do you? They used to create carnage.

Easiest way to score is a run across the near post but once you do it you're virtually out of the game.

I headed the ball like Bobby Charlton but still scored a few flick-ons running towards the cross. 😀👨‍🦳

On 7/29/2024 at 7:40 PM, deyres42 said:

Right. There's no way anyone can look at those ins and outs and think we are spending the same on player wages as we were last season.

Stop trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

5 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Stop trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Move on, nothing has changed, Mellon has got all the players he wanted, don't need any squad depth, let's go win the league.