BPAS PODCAST: 29th July '24, S5E1: with Micky Mellon & Darren Royle

Watched Reid closely last nights I think he’s shot of confidence. Barely gets in the position had an easy chance and missed kicked it. 

he’s absolutely ripped but when he runs he looks like he’s carrying too much muscle 

59 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Watched Reid closely last nights I think he’s shot of confidence. Barely gets in the position had an easy chance and missed kicked it. 

he’s absolutely ripped but when he runs he looks like he’s carrying too much muscle 

Too much time bulking up and bothering about his size rather than kicking footballs and staying aerobically fit during his exile would be my guess, he looks in terrific condition but has lost his sharpness and agility, looks better suited to Rugby League at the minute rather than football.

58 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Too much time bulking up and bothering about his size rather than kicking footballs and staying aerobically fit during his exile would be my guess, he looks in terrific condition but has lost his sharpness and agility, looks better suited to Rugby League at the minute rather than football.

Just right for a spell on Love Island?

On 7/30/2024 at 3:13 PM, BPAS said:

I know.... but I'm happy to tackle it. We've had a reasonable amount of practice at interviewing people for the pod now and we think we're getting better at framing questions. The answers can be found in what people don't say, in as much as what they do, you've just got to pay attention.

We put a good amount of time into prepping what we wanted to ask and how we'd like the conversation to go, however it will naturally ebb and flow and move away from the agenda we've set. We did our best to keep it on track so not to waste any precious time.

We were given an hour, which we are very grateful for, in the end they gave us 80mins. The club are not obliged to talk to us, but they do so because they presumably see the value in it & they know from having dealt with us a number of times now, that we will be as professional as we want them to be in their jobs. It is also important to say that we are not restricted from asking anything and have full editorial control.

Its also worth pointing out that Luke, Su, Darren, Micky, his coaching staff, the players and other club staff, as well as Bill Quinn from Roughyeds, could not have been more accommodating & welcoming. There is a fantastic 'everyone in it together' attitude that permeates the whole club. It makes you proud to be a Latics fan, something not lost on us after the sh1te we had to endure for decades.

It won't all go our way this season I'm sure, but we need to stick together and back them best we can to see how far they can take us. Success is coming. Hopefully sooner rather than later for everyone's sake.

Amen to that

The questions aren't as pressing as I'd like on some counts, but defo not going to fire bullets and criticism at the podcast lads as at the end of the day, it's free content that they spend their time creating and it's largely pretty good stuff.

I don't always agree with the opinions or the approach or whatever, but the the large majority of the time I like consuming the content and enjoy the output. 

If you want an interview doing in a different way then might be worth starting a podcast yourself and getting some time with senior figures at the club.

Totally different matter if you want to criticise OASFs approach if you pay membership as you'd have the right to do so, but give the lads a break when it comes to free of charge entertainment content.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

If you want an interview doing in a different way then might be worth starting a podcast yourself and getting some time with senior figures at the club.

Nobody wouldn’t get anywhere near the manager or DR with a ‘you need to answer to me’ approach. 

4 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Totally different matter if you want to criticise OASFs approach if you pay membership as you'd have the right to do so, but give the lads a break when it comes to free of charge entertainment content.

Quite. 

Also, this is the proper place to ask the ‘difficult’ questions- like concerns with catering. Which OASF have done this week. 

The pod is by fans for the fans and it relies on the goodwill and cooperation of all involved to make it the success it is. 

I see Chapman has signed for Wigan. Thought maybe one of the defenders we had out on loan would have been kept on. 

there was a lot of talk about the academy and wanting lads from Oldham but does Mellon have a good record bringing youth through. 

We had Atherton last year didn’t get a sniff 

Doro and Moore are around the squad but I reckon loans would help

6 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I see Chapman has signed for Wigan. Thought maybe one of the defenders we had out on loan would have been kept on. 

there was a lot of talk about the academy and wanting lads from Oldham but does Mellon have a good record bringing youth through. 

We had Atherton last year didn’t get a sniff 

Doro and Moore are around the squad but I reckon loans would help

He's involved the younger lads a little more pre season but unfortunately it's all a bit late from Mellon on that front, he won't play any of them in my opinion and he'll use the excuses like the capitulation against Warrington against them even though it's arguably the more experienced fringe players who should be taking the blame for those horror shows.

He could have played Chapman when we went two seasons without a right back or Atherton up front or out wide back end of last season for nothing else but to enhance their value and get them involved but he would  rather pick the same pub players who he trusted but let him down week after week, it's no wonder these lads are slipping through the net when there's no obvious pathway to the first team, unfortunately we will go to Sheff Utd for Sachdev but wont promote our own or give them any opportunity, it's crazy really.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He's involved the younger lads a little more pre season but unfortunately it's all a bit late from Mellon on that front, he won't play any of them in my opinion and he'll use the excuses like the capitulation against Warrington against them even though it's arguably the more experienced fringe players who should be taking the blame for those horror shows.

He could have played Chapman when we went two seasons without a right back or Atherton up front or out wide back end of last season for nothing else but to enhance their value and get them involved but he would  rather pick the same pub players who he trusted but let him down week after week, it's no wonder these lads are slipping through the net when there's no obvious pathway to the first team, unfortunately we will go to Sheff Utd for Sachdev but wont promote our own or give them any opportunity, it's crazy really.

He gave Moore a chance and he was very poor. 

Sometimes think the club and those in it believe its own hype. Darren waffles on about the past a lot (yes you have already told us you played with mark robins at BP juniors 35 years but i don’t see how that is relevant to 2024) and Mellon at one point said we had a training ground which any team would be proud of - WTF? 

Also trips to St Andrews really aren’t that special.

oh and Alex Reid is a hopeless football player. We will get nowhere with him up top. 

Edited by AndyB2

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

Sometimes think the club and those in it believe its own hype. Darren waffles on about the past a lot (yes you have already told us you played with mark robins at BP juniors 35 years but i don’t see how that is relevant to 2024) and Mellon at one point said we had a training ground which any team would be proud of - WTF? 

Also trips to St Andrews really aren’t that special.

oh and Alex Reid is a hopeless football player. We will get nowhere with him up top. 

It seems very much like you are just happy putting the club down….are you actually a supporter?😳

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

he'll use the excuses like the capitulation against Warrington against them even though it's arguably the more experienced fringe players who should be taking the blame for those horror shows.

Magnus Norman was the reason

11 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

He gave Moore a chance and he was very poor. 

Last season?, in pre season very few of the fringe players have been used in or with Mellons first eleven, they're hardly going to develop in a team full of players Mellon doesn't want or journeyman here only concerned about picking up a wage.

32 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Magnus Norman was the reason

I don't disagree and as I suggested after the Hendon game last season he shouldn't be anywhere near the football club - never mind actually playing for us, he's embarrassing himself and the club.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Last season?, in pre season very few of the fringe players have been used in or with Mellons first eleven, they're hardly going to develop in a team full of players Mellon doesn't want or journeyman here only concerned about picking up a wage.

I would much rather Mellon focuses on the first 11 plus a few extras and get them playing together, like he has done. 

To be honest, I’ve been very happy with the structure of the pre season. It’s clear to see that a plan was in place and each players minutes has been for a purpose. Far far better than any recent pre seasons I can remember when it use to just feel like random selections up until the last game. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2024 at 10:43 PM, LaticsLegend said:

The questions aren't as pressing as I'd like on some counts, but defo not going to fire bullets and criticism at the podcast lads as at the end of the day, it's free content that they spend their time creating and it's largely pretty good stuff.

I don't always agree with the opinions or the approach or whatever, but the the large majority of the time I like consuming the content and enjoy the output. 

You can subscribe to the pod, blog and phone-in to support the lads (and lass) in their endeavours. £3 a month for all that quality Latics content is an absolute bargain.

I don't 100% agree with any media outlet but the stuff that Matt, Andy, Dave and Arlene put out is always thought provoking, informative, feeds my long distance Latics passion and often (in the case of the blog) makes me laugh out loud. Long may it continue.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

It seems very much like you are just happy putting the club down….are you actually a supporter?😳

Yes. Love the club.

dont rate Mellon at all. He talks shite 

7 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Thought his last interview after the Warrington game was spot on .

Super. 

We will be bottom 10 at the end of September and Mellon will

be sacked. 

I know it, you know it

But you cling on naively to the futile

hope that when Mellon says ‘this is phenomenal club etc etc’ that it means  that that somehow gets us out of this league.

Na

I don’t believe that Darren is modernising this club. It continues to live off past glories.

here for a while yet my friends 

14 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Super. 

be sacked. 

I know it, you know it

hope that when Mellon says ‘this is phenomenal club etc etc’ that it means  that that somehow gets us out of this league.

Na

I don’t believe that Darren is modernising this club. It continues to live off past glories.

bet you arent 'here for a while' after posting this shiteee...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Super. 

be sacked. 

I know it, you know it

Na

And another pile of shite….give it up FFS!

• Like 3

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Who is the fans rep on the board? I'd like to question the high priced card only catering farce and evacuation procedure should a fire break out around the sole main stand crowded food and drinks kiosk. 

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Who is the fans rep on the board? I'd like to question the high priced card only catering farce and evacuation procedure should a fire break out around the sole main stand crowded food and drinks kiosk. 

Might be wrong but don't think there is one at the moment.

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

There isn't one. Are you a foundation member?