Saturday 4th August

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Nowt wrong with that. Although it was 25c again yesterday I'm not sure it's pie weather really.

There is some despicable comments on here but I have to say yours is the worst!!!! I don't think I can recall being so outraged :)

I have travelled the length and breadth of this fair isle and yet to find a weather that is not pie weather just as there is isn't not a cup of tea weather. (Matchdays excluded as beer is mandatory)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

There is some despicable comments on here but I have to say yours is the worst!!!! I don't think I can recall being so outraged :)

I have travelled the length and breadth of this fair isle and yet to find a weather that is not pie weather just as there is isn't not a cup of tea weather. (Matchdays excluded as beer is mandatory)

😆

I mean are you not like sweating your bollocks off when it's July August man you'll be telling me you wore a hat scarf and had a bovril next. I haven't worn long trousers in like a month.

Edited by GlossopLatic

46 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I haven't worn long trousers in like a month.

When you’re a lad you cannot wait to start wearing long trousers, when you’re a bloke you cannot wait to get the shorts out… go figure 🤔

47 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

😆

I mean are you not like sweating your bollocks off when it's July August man you'll be telling me you wore a hat scarf and had a bovril next. I haven't worn long trousers in like a month.

Of course I am sweating which leads to feeling uncomfortable which leads to irritability , crankiness etc. which is the perfect preparation for watching Latics :)

Shorts are for playing football and Benidorm where the locals can laugh at your pasty white legs, nowhere else.

Also bovril is a step too far , is there no depths you will stoop to in order to insult me :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

Of course I am sweating which leads to feeling uncomfortable which leads to irritability , crankiness etc. which is the perfect preparation for watching Latics :)

Shorts are for playing football and Benidorm where the locals can laugh at your pasty white legs, nowhere else.

Also bovril is a step too far , is there no depths you will stoop to in order to insult me :)

Last match I went to they appeared to have stopped providing pepper to have with bovril. Sacrilegious.  Almost on a par with flakey pastry pies.Can someone start a petition?

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

Last match I went to they appeared to have stopped providing pepper to have with bovril. Sacrilegious.  Almost on a par with flakey pastry pies.Can someone start a petition?

is this true or sattire?

18 hours ago, Only Blue said:

If being stronger at the back means we concede fewer goals in those poor spells then at least when we can't break down sides we can turn those games into draws and maybe 1-0 wins rather than the surrendering defeats of last season.

Here's hoping.

Can't believe our last home win in the league was 13th Feb. Seems an eternity. Let's hope next Sat is a good day.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

7f56d6e0-527a-11ef-b211-d71e57bab5ef.jpg

Joe Garner spotted alive and well with a smiling James Norwood.

Thats 3 pictures i’ve seen of Norwood smiling this week. I’m sure he’ll be back frowning when he’s fit and playing again 🙈

• Like 1

First pre season I have been to and was very pleased with the performance, especially in first half when team pressed well and most football played on the ground with good passing. Outplayed Shrewsbusry overall in the game.

Looking to first game on Saturday and hope we can get season off ot a winning start.

• Like 1

No coincidence there’s good football with Conlon and Gardner both fit and free from injury. 
from MM’s interview, Hammond has moved ahead of Lundstram in the pecking order, how did he look?

54 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

No coincidence there’s good football with Conlon and Gardner both fit and free from injury. 
from MM’s interview, Hammond has moved ahead of Lundstram in the pecking order, how did he look?

Lundstrum and Hammond have played different roles so unlikely he's jumped ahead in that regard, we have been playing with four in the middle two further back which started off as Lundstrum and Conlon but yesterday it was Gardner and Conlon. Further forward it's been combinations of Kay or Hammond with Chersley. 

He's got a couple of selection headaches before next Saturday but I'd expect him to start as follows in a 3-4-2-1 

GK Hudson

RCB Hobson

CB Raglan 

LCB Monthe 

RWB Ogle

CDM Gardner or Lundstrum 

CDM Conlon

LWB Kitching or Uchegbulam 

CAM Chersley

CAM Hammond

CF Fondop

Even if we make a signing or two I think this will be near on what we go with given variations of this have been very effective pre season against better teams than we are likely to face, it's a balanced team with natural width but more importantly the midfield four who work really well together offer the solidity we've been missing for some time.

One thing I will add which is noticable about our preseason is the urgency that we now play with, even down to the ball girls and boys who have obviously been asked to help speed play up and are far more helpful, Hudson's also improved markedly in my opinion and will soon be playing higher up, he's clearly worked on his distribution off season and he seems to be playing at a quicker tempo under instruction, we now look like a team who can either go long or if required play it out from the back. 

Finally it's also noticable how the players are trying their very best to engage and get on board with the fans, I hope this is reciprocated and we can at least start the season with a clean slate and give them the encouragement they need, some of that eleven Hammond, Uchegbulam, Lundstrum are going to need our support, they will make mistakes in the roles they are being asked to play but we need them to be brave and not worry about making mistakes. If you take away the good parts of our pre season when we've put out our stronger elevens there's no reason with a bit of luck we can't be right up there this season, I honestly feel with a bit of luck it could be our year but as fans particularly at home we will have to play our part.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's a balanced team with natural width but more importantly the midfield four who work really well together offer the solidity we've been missing for some time.

This is vital and should mean we'll be up there. A solid, functioning midfield is the one thing we've struggled to get right in three seasons. Other building blocks aren't yet in place such as extra pace, another GK and a couple of attacking players but as a core it's where we need to be. It won't all go to plan, and we'll have frustrating matches as teams come to us to place a low block and hope to nick something. But if we can dominate teams in the middle, and dictate play, we should break down more teams and have a much stronger home record as a knock on effect.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 12:36 PM, yarddog73 said:

It's nothing to do with who we've played it's the personnel and formations we've used in a number of games that have been the difference.

We've kept three clean sheets at home against League 1 teams, limiting them to very few chances. Hudson, Hobson, Raglan and Monthe as a keeper and back three looks League one standard, wingbacks will be either Kitching or Uchegbulam on the left and Ogle or Kay on the right. That's a solid back 3 with Sutton and Hogan providing additional cover.

Midfield has matched up well to some stiff opposition, we've played two sitting in with variations of Conlon, Lundstrum and Gardner with another two further on from Chersley, Hammond and Kay, Khan can also play in a more advanced role and he gives us another option.

Only issue we have for me is goals, Fondop bagged today and put himself about but very nearly got himself sent off - again. That's twice in preseason alone he's pushed his luck. Reid was anonymous other than a decent header from an Hobson cross late on and that's about it. Surely we can't go in to the first game without bringing a front man in?.

I quite like this 3-4-2-1 formation it suits us with the players we have and we are now playing like a team which is good to see. Not sure how far Norwood and Garner are away but we look very light up top and surely we still need to strengthen there.

Other than that I'm optimistic going in to the first game.

Not sure how we play 3 4 2 1 and accommodate 2 from Mikey Garner and Nors?

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Finally it's also noticeable how the players are trying their very best to engage and get on board with the fans, I hope this is reciprocated and we can at least start the season with a clean slate and give them the encouragement they need,

This is vital this season.

Total support from the fans and the players will respond.

Total commitment from the players and the fans will respond.

We’ll back you to get us back to the football league.👍

34 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

This is vital this season.

Total support from the fans and the players will respond.

Total commitment from the players and the fans will respond.

We’ll back you to get us back to the football league.👍

Not booing at half time when it’s 0-0 and we are very much still in the game would be a great start. 

• Like 3