Saturday 4th August

9 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Not sure how we play 3 4 2 1 and accommodate 2 from Mikey Garner and Nors?

We've played the two pre season and it hasn't worked, that's not to say it won't but with the personnel we have and the positions they are most comfortable in then I wouldn't be too worried about getting two forwards in to the team, if we had one decent forward like an anywhere near prime Norwood they'd bag a hatful in this formation, you could sacrifice a centre back or even one of the midfield but that takes something away from us. 

For me much has been talked about the midfield but the biggest signing for us is Manny Monthe, Raglan seems to enjoy playing alongside him and the back three as a unit really look the business. Hobson and Monthe really are comfortable bringing the ball out with feet and supporting the midfield as opposed to last season when all the centrehalfs did was sit in and invite the pressure, it allows us to play further up the pitch.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We've played the two pre season and it hasn't worked, that's not to say it won't but with the personnel we have and the positions they are most comfortable in then I wouldn't be too worried about getting two forwards in to the team, if we had one decent forward like an anywhere near prime Norwood they'd bag a hatful in this formation, you could sacrifice a centre back or even one of the midfield but that takes something away from us. 

For me much has been talked about the midfield but the biggest signing for us is Manny Monthe, Raglan seems to enjoy playing alongside him and the back three as a unit really look the business. Hobson and Monthe really are comfortable bringing the ball out with feet and supporting the midfield as opposed to last season when all the centrehalfs did was sit in and invite the pressure, it allows us to play further up the pitch.

So are we back to going up...?

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Lundstrum and Hammond have played different roles so unlikely he's jumped ahead in that regard, we have been playing with four in the middle two further back which started off as Lundstrum and Conlon but yesterday it was Gardner and Conlon. Further forward it's been combinations of Kay or Hammond with Chersley. 

He's got a couple of selection headaches before next Saturday but I'd expect him to start as follows in a 3-4-2-1 

GK Hudson

RCB Hobson

CB Raglan 

LCB Monthe 

RWB Ogle

CDM Gardner or Lundstrum 

CDM Conlon

LWB Kitching or Uchegbulam 

CAM Chersley

CAM Hammond

CF Fondop

Even if we make a signing or two I think this will be near on what we go with given variations of this have been very effective pre season against better teams than we are likely to face, it's a balanced team with natural width but more importantly the midfield four who work really well together offer the solidity we've been missing for some time.

One thing I will add which is noticable about our preseason is the urgency that we now play with, even down to the ball girls and boys who have obviously been asked to help speed play up and are far more helpful, Hudson's also improved markedly in my opinion and will soon be playing higher up, he's clearly worked on his distribution off season and he seems to be playing at a quicker tempo under instruction, we now look like a team who can either go long or if required play it out from the back. 

Finally it's also noticable how the players are trying their very best to engage and get on board with the fans, I hope this is reciprocated and we can at least start the season with a clean slate and give them the encouragement they need, some of that eleven Hammond, Uchegbulam, Lundstrum are going to need our support, they will make mistakes in the roles they are being asked to play but we need them to be brave and not worry about making mistakes. If you take away the good parts of our pre season when we've put out our stronger elevens there's no reason with a bit of luck we can't be right up there this season, I honestly feel with a bit of luck it could be our year but as fans particularly at home we will have to play our part.

Great post yarddog.

To me today is day one of the countdown to the season and so to start with your rallying cry was spot on.

Bring on Saturday!!!!

47 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

So are we back to going up...?

Yes I'm hopeful if I can blank out the horror show at Radcliffe. We've been impressive at home in the three games against League 1 opposition so there's no reason we can't take that in to the game against Braintree next Saturday.

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

0-1 Braintree. 😂

I should be thinking longer term and looking at how we're going to finish the season, but I honestly can't look past the first day of the season and hope that we finally get a first day of the season win for the first time in over a decade.  Surely we're due?!

• Like 1

Defence looked good on Satuday. Monthe is a mountain of a man! I thought Ogle also played well on the right being able to move forward and the same on the left side of the pitch with the left sided players with Monthe behind them. 

Hoping for a good season and when our forward line is fit again we will be hard to beat. Fondop did well on Saturday but is best suited to being a impact sub

• Like 1

The thing that gives me most cause for optimism from reading various reports/opinions is the playing with aggression bit. Looking to get on the ball quickly and to get the ball back quickly. We've been very passive for the large part of the last couple of seasons, so irrespective of style, to have a team going out to make things happen will be great.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The thing that gives me most cause for optimism from reading various reports/opinions is the playing with aggression bit. Looking to get on the ball quickly and to get the ball back quickly. We've been very passive for the large part of the last couple of seasons, so irrespective of style, to have a team going out to make things happen will be great.

That’s a very good point. 

The style often gets overhyped for me. Give me a team who can play with a good tempo and intensity and compete for 90 minutes instead of little bursts, and I’ll be more than happy with that. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It's a bit of a wanky modern term but something that has been absent at Latics for a good few seasons is patterns of play, when I've watched us I can never really tell what our style of play is supposed to be; are they moving it quickly through midfield, are they overloading on the wings and getting balls in the box, are they going more direct, everything seems to be done on the hoof and we end up with the stodgy football we're too used to seeing now. I'm hopeful we're going to see that change for the positive, especially now we seem to have a proper functioning midfield and a more balanced side in general 

Style isn't important to me but seeing a functional fluid gameplan is

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

For his faults we need to bring back bomb alley and the corridors of uncertainty.

At least you see how we want to break teams down and then adapt slightly based on what is in front of us.

45 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That’s a very good point. 

The style often gets overhyped for me. Give me a team who can play with a good tempo and intensity and compete for 90 minutes instead of little bursts, and I’ll be more than happy with that. 

40 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

It's a bit of a wanky modern term but something that has been absent at Latics for a good few seasons is patterns of play, when I've watched us I can never really tell what our style of play is supposed to be; are they moving it quickly through midfield, are they overloading on the wings and getting balls in the box, are they going more direct, everything seems to be done on the hoof and we end up with the stodgy football we're too used to seeing now. I'm hopeful we're going to see that change for the positive, especially now we seem to have a proper functioning midfield and a more balanced side in general 

Style isn't important to me but seeing a functional fluid gameplan is

Yep, I fully agree with both of you here.

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

You seem to have seen a bit of pre season so this gives us cause to be optimistic.

I do still struggle though to see where enough goals will come from with this formation and who we have.

Even if the number 9 player, whoever it is in a given game scores 30 goals this season we will need to score 75 plus to win the league and I just can't see the midfield chipping in with 30+ goals between them.

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

You seem to have seen a bit of pre season so this gives us cause to be optimistic.

I do still struggle though to see where enough goals will come from with this formation and who we have.

Even if the number 9 player, whoever it is in a given game scores 30 goals this season we will need to score 75 plus to win the league and I just can't see the midfield chipping in with 30+ goals between them.

It would be nice to see a defender score occasionally.  Neither Ogle nor Monthe's stats  suggest they'll be regular scorers

Edited by Dave_Og

53 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

It's a very fair point and something will have to change if we are to kick on, Uchegbulam and Hammond both lack composure in front of goal.

On the plus side it looks like we've been working hard on the training ground at set pieces so hopefully the defence can chip in with more.

Chersley gets in some decent position and was unlucky not to score Saturday setting up Fondop for a tap in off the post. Kay looks like he has goals in him as well so he could prove to be an important player, Lundstrum and Conlon need to have a go a bit more, both get in to shooting positions but show reluctance to pull the trigger.

I'm hoping we can score a few more but if it takes the odd goal to win a game then so be it.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Chersley gets in some decent position and was unlucky not to score Saturday setting up Fondop for a tap in off the post

Harry Charsley scored 5 in 32 league games for Newport last season. 
I don’t think he was unlucky with his effort on Saturday - snatched shot that luckily bobbled through and came back off the post for Fondop.

What was good to see was that Fondop having played Charsley in, followed in to score the rebound 👍