MATCH: Braintree (H) 10/08/24

Too early to kickstart this thread? 

After reports flooded in of our supposed herculean effort against Shrewsbury I am now slightly optimistic that we might not fall to defeat on Saturday...

We must get off to a positive start. Southend last season more or less set the tone for the whole season. I hope we flip it the other way this time. 

We really need a win and to avoid defeat at all costs. If we can get some early momentum, with the players returning from injury and a few more signings throughout August we could be in a strong position for a change. 

Let’s not start by chasing our tail like we have done for as long as we can all remember. 

Seen a few predictions on national forums stating a 4/5 -0 home win. 

Im afraid it wont be that easy and i would happily take a 1-0 off the keepers arse if you gave it me now. 

My overriding gut feeling for this game and the season as a whole is that i genuinely dont expect much. I know we should win but i think ive had the stuffing kicked out of me over the years. 

You never know i may be surprised

Anyone seriously thinking this is a walkover (I take alot of what the HMS piss the league chaps say with a pinch of salt) has learned nothing in the last 2 seasons of being in the National League. This lot will be up for this, they are going to want to show that they deserve to be at this level. For some of them this might be the biggest stage they've ever played on we need to be up for it.

As much as we might not like the idea of playing the likes of Braintree on level terms we've got to turn up and beat them that's got to be the mentality that no matter who we are playing we've got to turn up they don't give a crap we played in the Premier league 30 years ago, and if they are crap put them to the sword.

Pretty sure some thought Southend on the first day 12 months ago was going to be a walkover look how that turned out. Also 11 years since we won the opening fixture of the season, traditionally August is a crap month for us massive banana skin this.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

How do we expect to lineup? I found it strange that Kitching didn’t start the last 2, and in fairness Jes has done well, and good to see we have options here but i’d still expect Kitching to be in for Saturday. 

32 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Anyone seriously thinking this is a walkover (I take alot of what the HMS piss the league chaps say with a pinch of salt) has learned nothing in the last 2 seasons of being in the National League. This lot will be up for this, they are going to want to show that they deserve to be at this level. For some of them this might be the biggest stage they've ever played on we need to be up for it.

As much as we might not like the idea of playing the likes of Braintree on level terms we've got to turn up and beat them that's got to be the mentality that no matter who we are playing we've got to turn up they don't give a crap we played in the Premier league 30 years ago, and if they are crap put them to the sword.

Pretty sure some thought Southend on the first day 12 months ago was going to be a walkover look how that turned out. Also 11 years since we won the opening fixture of the season, traditionally August is a crap month for us massive banana skin this.

Absolutely. Most games are tight in this division. It's setting things up for some people considering anything less than a thumping win as a failure. 

1 hour ago, philliggi said:

Seen a few predictions on national forums stating a 4/5 -0 home win. 

Im afraid it wont be that easy and i would happily take a 1-0 off the keepers arse if you gave it me now. 

My overriding gut feeling for this game and the season as a whole is that i genuinely dont expect much. I know we should win but i think ive had the stuffing kicked out of me over the years. 

You never know i may be surprised

Think you will be surprised. Mellon knows what good is!!

52 minutes ago, daniel said:

How do we expect to lineup? I found it strange that Kitching didn’t start the last 2, and in fairness Jes has done well, and good to see we have options here but i’d still expect Kitching to be in for Saturday. 

I think we’ll go with the same starting 11 as the Shrewsbury game, meaning Kitching will start on the bench.

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Personally I'd go

Hudson

Hobson

Raglan

Monthe

Ogle

Lundstrum 

Conlon 

Kitching 

Hammond

Chersley

Fondop

Gardner and Uchegbulam may also be considered but I'd  go with the above.

Think its important we start with a win and start the season well. The way last season fizzled out and performances that were put in during those last 10 or so games, will more than likely still stick with a number of fans.   The home form especially must improve and going of what people are saying on the board, style of play is changing somewhat which will be more attractive to watch.  I get the feeling and for myself personally, it wouldn't take much for it to turn nasty, (hopefully this wont happen), a terrible 0-3, 0-2, performance I cant imagine will go down very well!  

Think based on nothing whatsoever as I've not seen any of the games so far, 2-0 Latics and everyone is entertained!  

Expecting a tough game against Braintree they will have spent all pre season preparing this. They have made good signings for this level Effiong who bags goals at this level and would have him over Fondop. and Akinde. 

they also signed Callum Powell from Southend. 

we need to stop the Snobbery to teams in this division.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Expecting a tough game against Braintree they will have spent all pre season preparing this. They have made good signings for this level Effiong who bags goals at this level and would have him over Fondop. and Akinde. 

they also signed Callum Powell from Southend. 

we need to stop the Snobbery to teams in this division.  

Braintree lost 5:1 to Oxford City last Sat.

But it was only a fitness session. 

My Facebook memories from today tells me my pre game optimism at Southend last year appeared to be misplaced, given their problems we were shoo ins.

It notes we'd not won a season opener since 2013 and not scored in one since 2018 but hey that was the day it would all change.

6-0 to us Saturday then.

• Like 1