MATCH: Braintree (H) 10/08/24

24 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Also fair to play Jes, spent about 10 minutes taking pictures high fiving every kid when walking around. 

The kids will have loved that, it might be nothing in terms of a football match, but it hooks them in when we need to do all we can to attract support. 

10 hours ago, JoeP said:

First choice for me...🤷‍♂️

We haven't got anyone else who'll do the dirty work up front like he will.

I don’t think we’ll agree on whether he has the consistency or discipline to be first choice but as a squad player he’s a big asset.

20 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Apart from the header that went wide in the 1st half. 

Was that the diving header? If so I thought that was a half chance at best. 

9 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Absolutely loved that today. I know people will say the opposition was shite but they were last season and we consistently lost to them. That was as controlled a home performance as I can remember, every second ball was won, everyone had a man within 5 yards to pass to, other than the penalty I can't remember them having a chance. Jes, what a debut, was like having Riyad Mahrez out there with some of his first touches. And that finish to round off a brilliant bit of football in our own half.

The whole game was chalk and cheese to last season. And yeah, they might have been shit. But we've lost to shit plenty since being down here. And that game was controlled from minute 0 to 90. 

I thought every single player out there today was excellent. Hopefully it's not a false dawn 

This is a spot on post. You can only play/beat whoever turns out against you. The other point worth considering is the confidence a performance and result like yesterday will give the team and the manager. Need to keep it up!

24 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

This is a spot on post. You can only play/beat whoever turns out against you. The other point worth considering is the confidence a performance and result like yesterday will give the team and the manager. Need to keep it up!

Agree with the confidence point. The downfall of the team last season was that too many were terrified when the ball came near them. Hard to overstate how much that is going to hold a team back

Lundstrum is the player with the most potential to improve  in that regard 

Edited by AndyB2

That penalty save couldn’t have been scripted better. After dominating to then go in at only 2-1 would have been a real tester. The save actually lifted the crowd again and was celebrated even louder than the goals were!
It seemed like a shared feeling in the ground that maybe things will start to go our way at last.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

A massive difference yesterday was the energy, any time there was an error or a loss of possession the ball was won back almost instantly because they were so much fitter and sharper. The crowd really responsed to that energy too, really positive atmosphere. 

It's a long old season ahead but plenty of reasons for optimism 

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 9

15 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

A massive difference yesterday was the energy, any time there was an error or a loss of possession the ball was won back almost instantly because they were so much fitter and sharper. The crowd really responsed to that energy too, really positive atmosphere. 

It's a long old season ahead but plenty of reasons for optimism 

Agree. It was a big negative of last season that seems to have been worked on. The crowd will forgive a mistake much more quickly if there’s a concerted team effort to win the ball back straight away. 

19 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

That penalty save couldn’t have been scripted better. After dominating to then go in at only 2-1 would have been a real tester. The save actually lifted the crowd again and was celebrated even louder than the goals were!
It seemed like a shared feeling in the ground that maybe things will start to go our way at last.

Easy tiger. I wouldn’t be drawing a single conclusion on the back of a win against Braintree 

13 hours ago, JoeP said:

The funny thing is, it seemed more busy than a lot of games last season.

I think we counted a lot of freebies last season.

The gates are still decent.  Highest since the ones we were getting in the the late 90s/early 2,000s probably..

I don't disagree Joe. Still exceptional support at this level. Only Southend was was higher yesterday with nearly 8k there, and 7 sides failed to get over 2k.

However it will not go unnoticed to the board that it was 2k down (£40k ish) on last seasons home opener - even after getting dicked at Southend - which will be an influence when it comes to deciding what we spend money on.

Still if were top 3 or 4 and playing decent football this will I hopefully steadily increase....

Edited by Londonboy

12 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I don't disagree Joe. Still exceptional support at this level. Only Southend was was higher yesterday with nearly 8k there, and 7 sides failed to get over 2k.

However it will not go unnoticed to the board that it was 2k down (£40k ish) on last seasons home opener - even after getting dicked at Southend - which will be an influence when it comes to deciding what we spend money on.

Still if were top 3 or 4 and playing decent football this will I hopefully steadily increase....

Crowds were always going to tail off after the initial euphoria of the Rothwell takeover.

We’re over 1k ST‘s down on the final figure last season which are counted so that would bring it up to 6.5k. 
POTD at £25 is a tad expensive for NL footy and will put a few ‘spur of the moment’ punters off especially after two seasons of utter dross.

You can watch Huddersfield in Div 1 for the same price!!

If we continue to play like yesterday and not follow it up with the almost mandatory ‘horror show’ then I’m pretty sure crowds will soon be back up towards the 7k mark.

30 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Crowds were always going to tail off after the initial euphoria of the Rothwell takeover.

We’re over 1k ST‘s down on the final figure last season which are counted so that would bring it up to 6.5k. 
POTD at £25 is a tad expensive for NL footy and will put a few ‘spur of the moment’ punters off especially after two seasons of utter dross.

If we continue to play like yesterday and not follow it up with the almost mandatory ‘horror show’ then I’m pretty sure crowds will soon be back up towards the 7k mark.

Well no cos many of the lost STs will have reverted to single match tickets, especially for the first game of the season.

massive drop in attendance from what we would have expected last season. 

i was surprised. Didn’t feel any more empty than usual 

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

Easy tiger. I wouldn’t be drawing a single conclusion on the back of a win against Braintree 

I’d conclude it’s the difference in style of play from bringing in players with ability on the ball, pace and greater movement, rather than the opposition which gives cause for optimism.

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

Of course we can, after the three home friendlies against strong League opposition we backed it up and played the same way in a fixture that could have proved to have been a real banana skin, we look like we have improved, have an identity and dare I say it look like we will be competitive. 

What is it that you want?, you were shouting me down when I suggested we'd win 3 or 4 nil before the game yesterday, now wins seem not to count against certain teams despite us being embarrassed last season against inferior opposition, do you remember the Hendon, Mickleover, Ebbsfleet, Kidderminster, Woking, Wealdstone at home performances, all bottom end of the League or lower leagues when we played them not to mention Fylde away, who were bottom at the time, they embarrassed from minute one.

A wins a win I'm afraid, what's the point or logic in trying to discredit it when we've shown so much improvement, I find it really strange how some can't even enjoy us winning.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Of course we can, after the three home friendlies against strong League opposition we backed it up and played the same way in a fixture that could have proved to have been a real banana skin, we look like we have improved, have an identity and dare I say it look like we will be competitive. 

What is it that you want?, you were shouting me down when I suggested we'd win 3 or 4 nil before the game yesterday, now wins seem not to count against certain teams despite us being embarrassed last season against inferior opposition, do you remember the Hendon, Mickleover, Ebbsfleet, Kidderminster, Woking, Wealdstone at home performances, all bottom end of the League or lower leagues when we played them not to mention Fylde away, who were bottom at the time, they embarrassed from minute one.

A wins a win I'm afraid, what's the point or logic in trying to discredit it when we've shown so much improvement, I find it really strange how some can't even enjoy us winning.

After the game I heard someone complain that we didn’t play well and should have scored 6/7. Literally complaining about the performance, he’s wasn’t joking either. 

You honestly cant win with some people and I have come to accept that is life. 

12 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Absolutely loved that today. I know people will say the opposition was shite but they were last season and we consistently lost to them. That was as controlled a home performance as I can remember, every second ball was won, everyone had a man within 5 yards to pass to, other than the penalty I can't remember them having a chance. Jes, what a debut, was like having Riyad Mahrez out there with some of his first touches. And that finish to round off a brilliant bit of football in our own half.

The whole game was chalk and cheese to last season. And yeah, they might have been shit. But we've lost to shit plenty since being down here. And that game was controlled from minute 0 to 90. 

I thought every single player out there today was excellent. Hopefully it's not a false dawn 

You summed it up perfectly and the word being "controlled"

Also we had no worries that Hudson would save the penalty. You could see his body language was that he was determined to keep the clean sheet, a pivotal moment that kept the belief.

I am not one for comparing to previous seasons as they are different teams with different players at different times. We should concentrate on the here and now and just beat what's in front of you, which was job done.

• Like 1

Guest O.A.F.C.
58 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

How many people change their mind about going between midnight Friday and 3pm Saturday? Not many I guess

34 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Let’s see. It’s nice to see a good start

1 minute ago, O.A.F.C. said:

How many people change their mind about going between midnight Friday and 3pm Saturday? Not many I guess

It's a fair point but I often decide last minute to take a game in as a neutral, first thing I'll do is see how much it is to get in and that's a factor on whether I'll attend, I wouldn't be paying £25 to watch a NL game if my team wasn't in it I can tell you that for a fact.

Them prices will just lose you pay on the dayers, we had around 8000 empty seats yesterday so trying to eek every penny out of those brave enough to turn up makes little sense to me and it was probably reflected in yesterdays attendance, I sense the club is taking it's eye off the ball and dare I say it taking the hardcore for granted, little thought or effort is going in to the catering which I suspect must be contracted out as the club seem to happy for it to be so poor, as a suggestion I'd like to see a club official on some of these concourse pre match and at half time to sample the 'experience'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Of course we can, after the three home friendlies against strong League opposition we backed it up and played the same way in a fixture that could have proved to have been a real banana skin,

This is a key point when people are saying it’s only 1 game. It’s not, it’s a developing pattern. Yes competition will get harder but in terms of how we play there’s clear progression. 

Not noticed it on here yet but how was Fondop penalised for fouling their keeper when the keeper came launching out of his net and smashed into Fondop? Chipped it over him and in n all. Also ball played through again for Fondop nips it past the defender who cleaned him out free kick went against him for a foul the other way all before we'd played 20 minutes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

This - a mistake to set the price this high imho 😮

1 minute ago, LaticsLen said:

Not noticed it on here yet but how was Fondop penalised for fouling their keeper when the keeper came launching out of his net and smashed into Fondop? Chipped it over him and in n all. Also ball played through again for Fondop nips it past the defender who cleaned him out free kick went against him for a foul the other way all before we'd played 20 minutes.

The ref (crap as usual) gave Fondop nothing all game - the number of times the defender had arms around him/handful of his shirt and nothing given 😮

58 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

… I sense the club is taking it's eye off the ball and dare I say it taking the hardcore for granted, little thought or effort is going in to the catering which I suspect must be contracted out as the club seem to happy for it to be so poor, as a suggestion I'd like to see a club official on some of these concourse pre match and at half time to sample the 'experience'.

I hope that the club looks at this as, despite what some say, it’s an important part of the day. 

19 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The ref (crap as usual) gave Fondop nothing all game - the number of times the defender had arms around him/handful of his shirt and nothing given 😮

Couldn't wait to give the penalty though, granted it was a strong challenge but it was shoulder to shoulder. 

18 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I hope that the club looks at this as, despite what some say, it’s an important part of the day. 

It’s not great is it.

there is money making potential in the match day catering for sure.

But I think the club is trying to manage a lot of areas of change and improvement following years of neglect. They clearly haven’t attended to this area yet. They will at some point am sure