MATCH: Braintree (H) 10/08/24

13 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

I've not read the posts on this thread for a few days and am still going through them. I can't believe the negativity of most of your posts.

Some ridiculous posts especially fro Frankly.

I wonder if any of you have the balls to come back on an adn

Mit their posts were absolute bollocks. Probably not.

Pete G called it right. The rest of you spoke of their strickers getting hat tricks, 1:0 losses as I say absolute negative bollocks.

Today we didn't play fantastically well but the performance was miles away from last year.And we worked hard. Very promising today. Defense was formidable and we created several chances. 

So please all you posters revisit the garbage you posted earlier on this thread before a ball was kicked and for gods sake stop being so negative. We will do well this year so stop moaning and get behind our team.

Constructive opinions are OK but negative speculative bollocks is not.

Now I'll continue to read the rubbish several regular posters wrote before today's kick off and hope the later posts might be a bit more positive now today's result is in.

Hi Barry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deckyd said:

Only beat what's in front of you!  Professional job well done.    Jeez looks handy, had them turned inside out at times.  Good composed finish for the goal.  

Thought we looked a lot more mobile which is good.  Last 20 mins was game management.

Good day, good result, good first day of the season!

Spot on. Thought Chersley?! Hammond and our defence were immense.Wait till we can add our missing players to this group and I think we could finally get rid of the negative posters off here.

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

And again I'll say, the only team we have ever played as bad as that today was Oxford and we comfortably beat them at home too. So the "we'd have lost that last season" narrative is absolutely bullshit...

In your opinion- fine. 

In my opinion several sides (as their record shows) were as bad as that last season and we couldn’t put them away. Today we did.

So the ‘no one is as bad as Braintree’ is absolute bullshit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Nice that we've taken the pre season home form in to the new season, win only tinged by the fact I had us -3 at 16/1 on the handicap betting, Hammond really should have knocked the 4th in and Reid also had opportunity to slide someone in when we were 3 on 2 but it was a professional performance we rarely saw last season.

Thought every player played their part, started slowly and looked a little nervy first five but as soon as Gardner put Jez in we dominated, I did say we'd have joy in behind their fullbacks and so it proved as time and time again we opened them up. Raglan unlucky with the penalty as that was shoulder to shoulder, thought we didn't get the rub of the green at times from the officials but still had way too much for a poor Braintree team.

How good was Monthe, joy to watch at times and way above this level, Jez and Ogle outstanding camped out wide, Jez saw a bit more of the ball and really stepped on pre season. Conlon looked like the player we wanted to see last season, Gardner complemented him really well but was already hobbling after an hour, Charsley and Hammond worked relentlessly and didn't allow the Braintree defence a minutes peace, Fondop did okay but needs to concentrate on his game rather than berating officials. Subs all contributed, Caprice particularly looked to provide some quality but the game seemed to fizzle out last fifteen.

I'll take it though and we should be looking to do a similar job on Wealdstone next week who I also think will go down this season.

*Forgot to mention Hudson outstanding, not just the penalty save but with the ball at his feet and his distribution, we'll be lucky if we keep him past January as he's really improved in recent months and is developing in to some player, not sure of his contract situation, more than most he deserves a rise.

Thank god for this positive excellent and correct summary. I live in hope that others may write such sensible posts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Draw today. 1-1 or 0-0

9 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

‘Should expect’ and ‘expect’ are worlds apart 

do I expect a win?

Yes

But it’s only marginally a yes 

2 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Good win. 

😃

Guest O.A.F.C.
5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

In your opinion- fine. 

In my opinion several sides (as their record shows) were as bad as that last season and we couldn’t put them away. Today we did.

So the ‘no one is as bad as Braintree’ is absolute bullshit. 

How is that even possible? How can a team we drew or lost against last season be as bad as a team we beat 3-0 today?

I'll be amazed if Braintree stay up. Oxford City is a good comparison.

1 minute ago, O.A.F.C. said:

How is that even possible? How can a team we drew or lost against last season be as bad as a team we beat 3-0 today?

They were very oxford city. That game last season was over after 2 or 3 mins. Hopefully we'll make a few look similar 

Just now, O.A.F.C. said:

Because. . . we looked a much better side today than the majority of last season and put them away. Last season our record against lowly opposition at home was awful. 

It’s highly questionable if we would have beat them last season. (As a reminder we won 1 game in 19 over two spells) 

Guest O.A.F.C.
11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Because. . . we looked a much better side today than the majority of last season and put them away. Last season our record against lowly opposition at home was awful. 

It’s highly questionable if we would have beat them last season. (As a reminder we won 1 game in 19 over two spells) 

We played better in our first home game last season...

17 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

5,552 attendance the only disappointment for me.

Well down on the first home game last season 😞

No one wants to pay to watch that helmet playing up front on his own.

• Like 2

Just now, O.A.F.C. said:

Yep. Agreed. 

Aldershot started ok that day, and then they faded badly. But went onto to have a really good season. 

Strangely, I’m more pleased we beat a ‘lowly we should beat’ team than I am say a Barnet. Because that was our Achilles heel last season. 

One game though. Let’s see how we go. 

29 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

The kiosks in the RRE also disappointing, as is the fact the fans bar hasn't improved one jot since the takeover two years ago...

12 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

We have to embrace the fact that we won by three goals to nil

I'd of taken 1-0 just to get off to a winning start, our strength should be at home and today it was and without our strongest front line.

Yes, they'll be challenges but we're Oldham and should be facing ever one of them.

Well done to M.M and the player's for getting it right, now let's keep it going

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The kiosks in the RRE also disappointing, as is the fact the fans bar hasn't improved one jot since the takeover two years ago...

Agree. Get them in and get them spending.

Effective and efficient today. Next.

14 minutes ago, Shrek said:

No one wants to pay to watch that helmet playing up front on his own.

The "helmet" who scored?  And who has probably been our best player over the last three years?

People who don't see what a valuable player he is really are strange...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

The funny thing is, it seemed more busy than a lot of games last season.

I think we counted a lot of freebies last season.

The gates are still decent.  Highest since the ones we were getting in the the late 90s/early 2,000s probably..

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The "helmet" who scored?  And who has probably been our best player over the last three years?

People who don't see what a valuable player he is really are strange...

He showed why giving him a new deal was a no brainer. With everyone fit and that formation he’s probably 3rd choice, but he bossed it today, did what he does best and then took the one main chance that came his way. 

• Like 5

Guest O.A.F.C.
12 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

What needs improving about the fans bar would you say? (I've never been in it)

1 minute ago, O.A.F.C. said:

What needs improving about the fans bar would you say? (I've never been in it)

Queuing system, speed of service, a toilet, decoration,  bottle bars. 

They are building a walk through to the North Stand that was meant to be sorted for today. It wasn't. I asked, they said hopefully done for the Fylde game...

• Like 1