MATCH: Braintree (H) 10/08/24

38 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Because. . . we looked a much better side today than the majority of last season and put them away. Last season our record against lowly opposition at home was awful. 

It’s highly questionable if we would have beat them last season. (As a reminder we won 1 game in 19 over two spells) 

Got to be honest - they were pretty woeful.

While their two forwards were "physical", they offered nothing else.  No pace, control or finishing.  Proof if it was needed that two big lumps up front just doesn't work.

You can't take anything away from the way we approached the game, though.  Both teams were an unknown quantity. Everyone played well for us and we'll hopefully be even better drilled for the tougher afternoons we'll undoubtably have. 

Guest O.A.F.C.
1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Queuing system, speed of service, a toilet, decoration,  bottle bars. 

They are building a walk through to the North Stand that was meant to be sorted for today. It wasn't. I asked, they said hopefully done for the Fylde game...

Jeez it sounds grim

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He showed why giving him a new deal was a no brainer. With everyone fit and that formation he’s probably 3rd choice, but he bossed it today, did what he does best and then took the one main chance that came his way. 

First choice for me...🤷‍♂️

We haven't got anyone else who'll do the dirty work up front like he will.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They are building a walk through to the North Stand that was meant to be sorted for today. It wasn't. I asked, they said hopefully done for the Fylde game...

I personally reckon that the fans bar will end up being the changing rooms once that entrance is created, Joe Royle stand seems to becoming the new Main Stand from an admin point of view.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

More performances like today and we'll be back over 6000 in no time

Crowd at Southend was 7900 ish.

Otherwise hardly anybody else got over 3000 apart from us.

Keep winning and our crowds will go up then Frank can retire!

15 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Rome wasn’t built in a day! Stop picking at stuff crazy !

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

First choice for me...🤷‍♂️

We haven't got anyone else who'll do the dirty work up front like he will.

I love him Joe. 

He’s different, awkward, and effective. 

But I don’t think he’s consistent enough to be a regular starter. He’s first sub or played in a few games at a time. 

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I love him Joe. 

But I don’t think he’s consistent enough to be a regular starter. He’s first sub or played in a few games at a time. 

Well we don't have anyone who's consistent, so until we sign someone better....

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I love him Joe. 

When was the last time we had a player stick around ? He’s a club legend for me ! Start him every game ! Up front alone is a hard task, he bossed it and scored ! Could have had a few more of it wasn’t for some bad ref decisions !

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, latics22 said:

When was the last time we had a player stick around ? He’s a club legend for me ! Start him every game ! Up front alone is a hard task, he bossed it and scored ! Could have had a few more of it wasn’t for some bad ref decisions !

100%

Fans favourite, good character and (whisper is quietly, so the haters don't hear..) actually a big player for us.

Exactly the kind of player we should back and want at the club.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

100%

Fans favourite, good character and (whisper is quietly, so the haters don't hear..) actually a big player for us.

Exactly the kind of player we should back and want at the club.

Got to agree.

We need better ‘complete strikers’ but my word is he an asset to our team. No doubt about that. 

• Like 1

Absolutely loved that today. I know people will say the opposition was shite but they were last season and we consistently lost to them. That was as controlled a home performance as I can remember, every second ball was won, everyone had a man within 5 yards to pass to, other than the penalty I can't remember them having a chance. Jes, what a debut, was like having Riyad Mahrez out there with some of his first touches. And that finish to round off a brilliant bit of football in our own half.

The whole game was chalk and cheese to last season. And yeah, they might have been shit. But we've lost to shit plenty since being down here. And that game was controlled from minute 0 to 90. 

I thought every single player out there today was excellent. Hopefully it's not a false dawn 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

The funny thing is, it seemed more busy than a lot of games last season.

I think we counted a lot of freebies last season.

The gates are still decent.  Highest since the ones we were getting in the the late 90s/early 2,000s probably..

I think a lot of people don't realise we were only averaging 6 1/2 thousand in our last play off season under Shez. For the last 10 years we've been at around 3000, getting that crowd today is still really good for this level and will only improve 

• Like 2

As I said earlier, Braintree were as bad as I’ve ever seen.

But the positive I’ll take other than winning 3-0 is that we looked like wanted to win. They didn’t look under pressure, they didn’t panic and hoof, they didn’t look like a team of strangers.

Early days of course, but plenty of reasons to be optimistic for sure. We played Fondop as lone striker which is never going to be a good thing, had we had a Norwood and dare I say Stones up front, that could have been a silly score.

Special mention for Ogle though - it may be exaggerated by the fact we’ve been devoid of a right sided defender for a while, but he looked the business.

Allow me to be greedy, but I’d like a proper #10 as well as a striker. As hard as Hammond and Charsley worked today, they won’t open up defences. Plenty of times we had room on the turn between their defensive and midfield lines but nobody with the creativity to do something.

Very happy though after today. Long may it continue.

Edited by sjk2008

I got Braintree completely wrong. They were hopeless. They had two big centre forwards who tried to bully our defence but we stood up to them. 

they would be better just playing hoof ball.

on us we looked like we had structure, knew what we were doing and building play up. Jes was fantastic murdered their right back all game. Charsley was very busy and I was impressed with Caprice when he came on. Put in 4 or 5 cracking crosses.

on the negative the catering again, it seems to be going backwards. They’ve shut the bars in the RRE just one bar open. The food was overpriced crap from the burger stalls.

We tried getting in the fans bar at the end about 50 people in and they wouldn’t let anyone in. I’m not sure how they keep getting it so wrong. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Braintree did have two big units up front but to be fair we've seen Effiong cause us a lot of trouble multiple times running with ball at feet since we came down.

I must of missed that, thought he's been poor against us generally. 

10 hours ago, nzlatic said:

He showed why giving him a new deal was a no brainer. With everyone fit and that formation he’s probably 3rd choice, but he bossed it today, did what he does best and then took the one main chance that came his way. 

Apart from the header that went wide in the 1st half.