MATCH: Braintree (H) 10/08/24

38 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

No, but as the club confirmed yesterday something has gone awry and they are trying to solve it.  I think they are entitled to the benefit of the doubt but in any event I won't be paying that much for a can of rubbish lager anytime soon, or indeed ever.  Quite why anyone ever needs a beer at half-time is and will remain an enduring mystery to me.

I missed the clubs confirmation, have you a link? 

As a golf fan would you know if they sell beer and pies at kiosks around the course at big events like the Open? 

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I missed the clubs confirmation, have you a link? 

As a golf fan would you know if they sell beer and pies at kiosks around the course at big events like the Open? 

It's in a link on this thread somewhere.  Yes, food and drink is available at golf events and just like everywhere with a captive market it's overpriced - I believe that at Wimbledon it was £8 for a 330ml can of Stella.  It's much  easier to opt out, and that's the only answer, at football because fans are in and out within two hours - so much less captive than at golf, tennis, cricket, racing, music festivals etc.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's in a link on this thread somewhere.  Yes, food and drink is available at golf events and just like everywhere with a captive market it's overpriced - I believe that at Wimbledon it was £8 for a 330ml can of Stella.  It's much  easier to opt out, and that's the only answer, at football because fans are in and out within two hours - so much less captive than at golf, tennis, cricket, racing, music festivals etc.

And at least at those events you get to take the drink into the stands with you. I'll very occasionally have a pint at games if I get there early but quite why anyone needs to have a pint from a plastic glass in a freezing concourse every single game is beyond me...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Once the catering improves half this forum won't know what to do with themselves!

Toilets, quality of paper used for the programs, potholes on sheepfoot lane...

Then we lose a game... MELLON OUT!!

Then we win a few... Colour of the seats... Darren Royle wears the wrong colour tie... No response to an email....

Then we lose a game....MELLON OUT!!

On repeat ...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

If you’re a proper supporter goodwill is irrelevant. The clue is in the word….supporting the club is essential, especially in the lower divisions and you can’t just expect the owners to plough all their money in!!

A thought that occurs to me here is that when I was growing up in Middleton in the 60s/70s and hardly ever missed a home game - it was pre-social media and in an era when club ownership, while desperate at times under Ken Bates (always off sunning himself in the Virgin Is at a crisis moment for the club as I recall 🤣) never really reached the depths that it did under the Lemsagams - I don't remember ever worrying about the ownership of the club. Football came first, second and last, all I cared about was performances and results.

Nowadays with so much access to off field information, not least via this brilliant site, and with the memory of how AL & co almost killed us off, it's inevitable maybe that people will get as worked up by off-pitch issues as the football. For me the saving grace is that the Rothwells and the board have their hearts in the right place. There is a long way to go to get back to even L1, and I'm sure they are learning on the job, but I'm convinced they will get us back up there, maybe with outside investment eventually. Keep the faith as somebody said!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Went to Wimbledon with my other half this year - £12 or more for a Pimms for her as I recall !!! At least Wimbledon lets you take in your own food and drink - what really gets me is the venues where they don't allow that and then charge a huge markup on their own preferred food and booze, it's outrageous.

A few years ago we went to the US Open at Flushing Meadow (the other half is a tennis nut) and what an eye opener - massive choice of food stalls/beers/wine , and all at reasonable prices. We get ripped off in the UK when it comes to such things.

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Went to Wimbledon with my other half this year - £12 or more for a Pimms for her as I recall !!! At least Wimbledon lets you take in your own food and drink - what really gets me is the venues where they don't allow that and then charge a huge markup on their own preferred food and booze, it's outrageous.

A few years ago we went to the US Open at Flushing Meadow (the other half is a tennis nut) and what an eye opener - massive choice of food stalls/beers/wine , and all at reasonable prices. We get ripped off in the UK when it comes to such things.

Surprised at the Flushing Meadows comment. I’ve done a few gigs and sporting events in the US and found it even worse than here. It worked out at like £11 a can of beer at Madison Square Garden last year and around £8 for an hot dog. Some hate it, but the yanks do know how to put on a show though, and their overall experience is far better than ours. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daniel said:

Surprised at the Flushing Meadows comment. I’ve done a few gigs and sporting events in the US and found it even worse than here. It worked out at like £11 a can of beer at Madison Square Garden last year and around £8 for an hot dog. Some hate it, but the yanks do know how to put on a show though, and their overall experience is far better than ours. 

Well to be fair it was a few years back, 2014 I think, and it was just the US Open I was referring to. But it was way cheaper than Wimbledon, and the variety, quality and value for money was so much better too. So many food stalls, all well staffed, and no queuing. Lots more room to play with at Flushing Meadow than at Wimbledon, but still far better as a day out.

I live in the USA  now  and prices can be ridicuous ,try going to watch a movie and buy refreshments there. I am hoping they dont get too involved with the premier league or else it will just become an advertising vehicle . Even though I cant stand the greedy league it will be destroyed by the insatiable appetite to make more , and more money.

7 hours ago, penrhyn said:

I live in the USA  now  and prices can be ridicuous ,try going to watch a movie and buy refreshments there. I am hoping they dont get too involved with the premier league or else it will just become an advertising vehicle . Even though I cant stand the greedy league it will be destroyed by the insatiable appetite to make more , and more money.

I think that ship has long since sailed. 

• Like 4

On 8/11/2024 at 11:05 PM, AndyB2 said:

Not sure about that. 

Just as likely to work the other way.

Get up and fancy the game but unwilling to pay £25 (but would have paid £20). 

they need to rethink it in my view. There is a big psychological difference between £20

and £25

Yes Andy. I know it's just one case in isolation but on Saturday the club could have had £60  (i.e. 3 x £20 potd) plus refreshments etc. As it turned out my 2 neighbours wouldn't pay the £25 potd and so the club just had my £25. As many have said, £25 potd will not attract the missing fans. Weren't we over 2,000 fans down as against the first home game last year? That's quite alarming and it takes a long time to win fans back.

With regard to the "cash handling" issue, surely it would be easy to introduce potd by card only, hence saving the costs and security associated with cash handling.

16 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Can't say I've kept up with relegations and promotions but last season I think more than half of PL teams were effectively US owned

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 10:27 AM, Lee Sinnott said:

So the people who boycotted under the previous regime aren't proper "supporters"...?

Of course they are and had the best interests of the club at heart.

They had a legitimate reason for doing what they did, the results of which are the main reasons the club is now back in a good place.

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Of course they are and had the best interests of the club at heart.

They had a legitimate reason for doing what they did, the results of which are the main reasons the club is now back in a good place.

But that contradicts this...

If you’re a proper supporter goodwill is irrelevant. The clue is in the word….supporting the club is essential, especially in the lower divisions and you can’t just expect the owners to plough all their money in!!

£54 quid for me, my wife and two kids to stand on an open terrace at Altrincham.

£49 quid to sit in the RRE with a roof.

i know which is better value 

the pay on the day debate is detracting from the point that Latics is decent value relative to the market 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If you’re a proper supporter goodwill is irrelevant. The clue is in the word….supporting the club is essential, especially in the lower divisions and you can’t just expect the owners to plough all their money in!!

No it doesn’t.

39 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

No it doesn’t ….we were in a hopeless situation, the club were in free fall, there was no plan and we had lost our football club.

If the owners had demonstrated they were doing their best then maybe things would have been different but we were justsinking deeper and deeper under the Lemmies.

They had no interest in, or affiliation to this football club from day one and there wouldn’t have been a club at all if they had been here much longer.

We were supporting the football club but definitely not the owners…You have to draw the line somewhere!

Getting the absolute idiots out of our football club was essential and I hope we never have to resort to those tactics ever again.

We are in a far better place now and back to being a football club that the whole town of Oldham can get behind.

Edited by oafc1955

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

No it doesn’t ….we were in a hopeless situation, the club were in free fall, there was no plan and we had lost our football club.

If the owners had demonstrated they were doing their best then maybe things would have been different but we were justsinking deeper and deeper under the Lemmies.

They had no interest in, or affiliation to this football club from day one and there wouldn’t have been a club at all if they had been here much longer.

We were supporting the football club but definitely not the owners…You have to draw the line somewhere!

Getting the absolute idiots out of our football club was essential and I hope we never have to resort to those tactics ever again.

We are in a far better place now and back to being a football club that the whole town of Oldham can get behind.

Exactly. Supporting the club means different things at different times. At that time the club needed those owners out if it was to have a future. So supporters had to do whatever was necessary to help speed things along. 

Now we have good owners who have sunk a fortune into the infrastructure and playing squad so supporting the club in my opinion means helping them achieve more by putting money in where possible. Not demand they shoulder the burden themselves. 

• Like 1