MATCH: Braintree (H) 10/08/24

20 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Anyone seriously thinking this is a walkover (I take alot of what the HMS piss the league chaps say with a pinch of salt) has learned nothing in the last 2 seasons of being in the National League. This lot will be up for this, they are going to want to show that they deserve to be at this level. For some of them this might be the biggest stage they've ever played on we need to be up for it.

As much as we might not like the idea of playing the likes of Braintree on level terms we've got to turn up and beat them that's got to be the mentality that no matter who we are playing we've got to turn up they don't give a crap we played in the Premier league 30 years ago, and if they are crap put them to the sword.

Pretty sure some thought Southend on the first day 12 months ago was going to be a walkover look how that turned out. Also 11 years since we won the opening fixture of the season, traditionally August is a crap month for us massive banana skin this.

This is the kind of game the players (and coaching staff?) need to approach better and with greater respect than last season. This lot will be really hungry, keen to show well in their first game back at this level and at our football league stadium. Up to our team to show their greater quality and dare I say it, desire. Didn't see that enough last season, hope it's there on Saturday. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

This is the kind of game the players (and coaching staff?) need to approach better and with greater respect than last season. This lot will be really hungry, keen to show well in their first game back at this level and at our football league stadium. Up to our team to show their greater quality and dare I say it, desire. Didn't see that enough last season, hope it's there on Saturday. 

Quite. 

I think the best example from last season was the disgraceful performance at home to Kidderminster. We have to want it more than the opposition. Too many times last season the players were caught off guard by other teams being up for it.

It’s HMS Piss the league this season…I’ve no doubt whatsoever.

We should have comfortably made the playoffs last season but a lack of character and desire put paid to that.

If we can get off to a good start then get Norwood and Garner back I think we’ll be more than good enough.

We are much stronger and fitter all over the pitch.

Bring it on!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

First game of the season, and yep… it’s a must win. 

Agreed.  If we're going to have a go at going up every game must be seen as a "must win".

These are a team we should be beating, first game of the season or otherwise.

A draw or defeat and it'll be an indication that we don't know how to play these games and it'll be a sign that it'll probably happen again moving forward.

I think we'll learn a lot on Saturday!

19 hours ago, JoeP said:

Agreed.  If we're going to have a go at going up every game must be seen as a "must win".

These are a team we should be beating, first game of the season or otherwise.

A draw or defeat and it'll be an indication that we don't know how to play these games and it'll be a sign that it'll probably happen again moving forward.

I think we'll learn a lot on Saturday!

It's a game we should be going in with the expectation of winning ofcourse but at the same their is a good chance it won't go all our way and if Braintree get a foothold in the game the crowd could turn. 

I said at the start of last season teams will come here with the intention of quieting the crowd, knowing that if things don't go to plan then the natives will get restless. We might have to wait until late in the game before we win it and if that's the case so be it.

3 home games last season against Kidderminster Fylde and Wealdstone all games we should have won all of them we lost and in all of them we were outworked and we finished 8 points outside the play offs. It could well be a good barometer Saturday to show how far we've come as it's these fixtures that really cost us last season.

We certainly don't have the divine right to steamroller them, we've got to get out there and earn the win.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's a game we should be going in with the expectation of winning ofcourse but at the same their is a good chance it won't go all our way and if Braintree get a foothold in the game the crowd could turn. 

I said at the start of last season teams will come here with the intention of quieting the crowd, knowing that if things don't go to plan then the natives will get restless. We might have to wait until late in the game before we win it and if that's the case so be it.

3 home games last season against Kidderminster Fylde and Wealdstone all games we should have won all of them we lost and in all of them we were outworked and we finished 8 points outside the play offs. It could well be a good barometer Saturday to show how far we've come as it's these fixtures that really cost us last season.

We certainly don't have the divine right to steamroller them, we've got to get out their and earn the win.

Absolutely, but we should have moved on from expecting to steam-roll anyone and also know the crowd might turn, but have the mental resilience to deal with it.  Developing the right mental strategy for these games is probably as important as any transfer dealings we've done over the summer...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Also noted they hadn't sold the match sponsorship yet. Thought first game of season would have been sold for sponsorship a long time ago...

Probably a fall out from Mellons down in the dumps interviews at the backend of last season, it was hardly inspiring. Saying that get off to a decent start as I expect us to and they'll be queuing down Holden Fold Lane for tickets.

• Like 1

Could see as many nine changes to the team that opened the campaign against Southend in 23/24:

Norman; Sutton, Kitching, Hobson, Raglan, Hogan; Shelton, Sheron, Ward; Nuttall, Norwood.

Keeping 11 on the pitch would be a good way of trying to break the opening day hoodoo and would be a first in the NL era following sendings off for Gardner in 2022 and Will Sutton in 2023.

One precedent auguring well is both seasons in the NL have started with plenty of goals and home wins: 3-2 v. Dorking (22) and 5-1 v. Aldershot (23).    

I think this is another major reason why we need to start well.

Oldham vs Braintree will hardly get the floating fans' pulses racing, especially after the dismal end to last season. Strong positive start and people will soon come back.

37 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

image.jpeg.a71e6eff39f6d99d6f30bcf3ebbd3a50.jpeg

Plenty can have a row to themselves in the JF Stand

Are the Athleticos still with us?  I'm sure that block was sold out last season...

32 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Are the Athleticos still with us?  I'm sure that block was sold out last season...

Numbers do seem to be dwindling which is a shame.

14 minutes ago, daniel said:

Numbers do seem to be dwindling which is a shame.

It is a shame but was bound to happen for a variety of reasons.

Even if only the 3,000 plus season ticket holders turned up then that isn't dreadful at this level , although with POTD I think we will get an attendance of about 5,000 which is still really good.

I think Braintree will finish highest out of all the promoted sides. Tough, physical test. Mainly hoping we generally control the match. That’s the yardstick of consistency I’m looking for above all else. Results will come naturally once we start doing that.

Can’t wait til Saturday.

Slight concerns about creating enough chances until Norwood, Garner and a possible new signing come in, however the home friendly performances sounded positive.

Decent weather, Boundary Park looking fantastic and a new season in front of us. Happy days.

A loss would be very disappointing, but if Braintree scraped a draw I wouldn’t be quite ready for publicly flogging Mellon on the Town Hall steps, burning James Norwood at the stake and booing the tea lady on a arrival to the next home game.

We’re gonna win 2-0 anyway.

• Like 1