MATCH: Braintree (H) 10/08/24

23 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Looking likely only Fondop and Reid will be our only fit strikers going into this. Bit of a worry that 

If we go with the 3-4-2-1 then it wouldn't be the end of the world to have Fondop on his own and Reid on the bench in the short term.  Although it has to be short term and I wouldn't be surprised to see us getting another striker in tomorrow.

2 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Looking likely only Fondop and Reid will be our only fit strikers going into this. Bit of a worry that 

nah this is Fondops stage for a screamer his last one was a tap in. he should get one free red card pass from us anyway after that joke of one last season

52 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Fondop is ok for a few weeks. Bit worried that he's likely to flag and will need replacing with 20/30 left. How does Reid work with the system weve been playing on the friendlies?????

He’s barely touched the ball. He’s the only one who has really been off it

44 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Fortunately, it's only Braintree. Fondop should be fine against them...

They have two strikers who are better than what we have starting the game or to bring on. They also have a good player in Powell. 

we are going to come up against a good side tomorrow. 

Edited by BradKnowles1

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

They have two strikers who are better than what we have starting the game or to bring on. They also have a good player in Powell. 

Akinde and Effiong is everything Raglan and Monthe will want to come up against surely...

2 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

But Akinde is 35 and Effiong is 33. Surely they are too old?😂

22 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I saw Akinde playing for Colchester the season we went down and he was absolutely dreadful, looked like someone they'd pulled out of the pub. Just a big immobile lump.

I've stuck a tenner on him to score tomorrow 

😂😂

4 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

If we are worried about Akinde and Effiong we may as well give up now, Effiong scores a few but Hobson didn't give him a sniff at home early last season and I expect the same again, we really should be rolling these over if we are serious about challenging.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I saw Akinde playing for Colchester the season we went down and he was absolutely dreadful, looked like someone they'd pulled out of the pub. Just a big immobile lump.

I've stuck a tenner on him to score tomorrow 

100 quid the hattrick 

The forward situation is bizarre!

Not sure quite how we have gone from having more strikers than we knew what to do with last season (and still couldn't score enough), to only having one fit (ish) striker who we nearly let go and is walking red card, and one who's more interested in his social media profile than actually playing football!!

Still we do now have some right backs..... 

10 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

The forward situation is bizarre!

Not sure quite how we have gone from having more strikers than we knew what to do with last season (and still couldn't score enough), to only having one fit (ish) striker who we nearly let go and is walking red card, and one who's more interested in his social media profile than actually playing football!!

Still we do now have some right backs..... 

We have four, we've been unfortunate in that our best two picked up injuries early pre season and another is reluctant to move on despite the manager having a conversation with him advising it would be best all round if he found himself another club, we are also heavily subsidising a couple of others wages from last season so budget wise we are being stretched, Fondop can do a job and Reid if he gets back on it is a decent striker at this level, I don't want Mellon to just go out and sign someone because a few fans are worried we are a bit light, in two week we could have four very good strikers vying for one starting spot so if a player is brought in they have to be better than what we already have.

Going back to today's game I've watched these and they are awful, they lost 2-1 to Stevenage last week, Stevenage played five sixteen/seventeen year olds and should have scored half a dozen, they were also battered 5-1, should have been ten off Oxford City the following day (keeper was probably their best player despite shipping five), they had a decent defence last season but have lost many of their better players and it looks like we will be able to get in behind their fullbacks given they like to push on from a flat back four, no pace up front and their midfield are happy to let the game pass them by, we have our own problems particularly in front of goal but I suspect these will end up being this seasons whipping boys, problem we have is managing the occasion as these are likely to lift it playing at BP, so long as we match their effort and desire (can be questionable) our ability should see us through and I expect us to win easily to nil.

Who do we think will start today?, only selection headache for Mellon would be down the left where we have a plethora of options, Kitching, Caprice or Uchegbulam could all feasibly start. Other one is does he go with Gardner or Lundstrum in the midfield four?, I think Conlon, Chersley and Hammond are certain starters. I'd go;

Hudson

Hobson

Raglan 

Monthe

Ogle

Lundstrum 

Conlon

Kitching 

Chersley

Hammond

Fondop

Subs

Moloney

Sutton

Hogan

Caprice

Gardner 

Uchegbulam 

Reid

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We have four, we've been unfortunate in that our best two picked up injuries early pre season and another is reluctant to move on despite the manager having a conversation with him advising it would be best all round if he found himself another club, we are also heavily subsidising a couple of others wages from last season so budget wise we are being stretched, Fondop can do a job and Reid if he gets back on it is a decent striker at this level, I don't want Mellon to just go out and sign someone because a few fans are worried we are a bit light, in two week we could have four very good strikers vying for one starting spot so if a player is brought in they have to be better than what we already have.

Going back to today's game I've watched these and they are awful, they lost 2-1 to Stevenage last week, Stevenage played five sixteen/seventeen year olds and should have scored half a dozen, they were also battered 5-1, should have been ten off Oxford City the following day (keeper was probably their best player despite shipping five), they had a decent defence last season but have lost many of their better players and it looks like we will be able to get in behind their fullbacks given they like to push on from a flat back four, no pace up front and their midfield are happy to let the game pass them by, we have our own problems particularly in front of goal but I suspect these will end up being this seasons whipping boys, problem we have is managing the occasion as these are likely to lift it playing at BP, so long as we match their effort and desire (can be questionable) our ability should see us through and I expect us to win easily to nil.

Darran Pearce, a very good non league judge thinks they'll finish top half...

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Darran Pearce, a very good non league judge thinks they'll finish top half...

Who? No surprise you found something to fit with your massively negative narrative though. Enjoy the game today - feel for you if we win. 

• Like 2