MATCH: Braintree (H) 10/08/24

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Darran Pearce, a very good non league judge thinks they'll finish top half...

Teams who bring 20 new faces in invariably struggle, be some achievement to get them to gel and be competitive particularly as they've lost their better players, keeper has gone to Sutton and the defence that served them so well has also been dismantled with none of last seasons successful backline or keeper due to start today. 

I suspect there may be some optimism because the team is now headed by Effiong and Akinde but I can't see them carrying this team with a combined age of 68 it would give our Garner/Norwood partnership a run for it's money, they've not managed to retain any of their better players from last season including top scorer Aaron Blair whose opted for Maidstone as opposed to re-signing and probably the standout player from last season other than Sims Joe Grimwood has moved on to NL favourites Barnet.

Every team promoted last season struggled and I fear this season the four promoted may well do again other than maybe Yeovil who look solid enough and finished about five wins better off than play off winners Braintree.

Be a tough ask for them this season with the lift in quality and them having to bed 20 new players in, could be a good time to play them as I suspect they may improve with time.

1 minute ago, AndyB2 said:

Last season there was zero correlation between quality of opposition and points picked up. We are no more likely to beat Braintree than we are to beat FGR if that pattern continues 

We are a different team now, I think we will be better at home for sure, may not be spectacular but I think we look far more solid.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We are a different team now, I think we will be better at home for sure, may not be spectacular but I think we look far more solid.

I’d love to see solidity. cos that wasn’t there last season in midfield.

We.need to get away from this mentality of we should be pissing this 3 or 4 nil. There will be times where we do score 3 or 4 but we are undoubtedly everyones cup final. 

Everyone knows the fans get on the backs of the players after 20 mins if we dont start well. Its been said many times how oppo managers use our own fanbase against us by trying to keep us quiet for 20 mins. 

Grimwood is back at braintree on loan btw. 

Id happily take a 1-0 with a decent performance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, philliggi said:

We.need to get away from this mentality of we should be pissing this 3 or 4 nil. There will be times where we do score 3 or 4 but we are undoubtedly everyones cup final. 

Everyone knows the fans get on the backs of the players after 20 mins if we dont start well. Its been said many times how oppo managers use our own fanbase against us by trying to keep us quiet for 20 mins. 

Agree. Am gobsmacked that any Oldham fan expects to win any game against a team in the same division by 3, 4 goals. 

Just now, philliggi said:

This getting the backs of players needs to be stopped talking about because it's a convenient excuse when rolled out for just about everybody, if the players turn up which I am 100% sure they will under Conlon then that can be flipped on it's head, not many teams will be backed by around 6000 home fans, 500 athleticos behind the goal and about 1000 on average away each week, you'll get bell ends at every ground in the country barking out shit, if the players turn up the clowns who behave like that will disappear it's as simple as that. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Darran Pearce, a very good non league judge thinks they'll finish top half...

31 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Who? No surprise you found something to fit with your massively negative narrative though. Enjoy the game today - feel for you if we win. 

He's a hack for the non league paper. However in his assessment of us in the link below he just doesn't consider us as competing and assumes we'll just be as bad as last season. Rabbits on about every other club's new signings though. I'm fine with that, we need to be placed right under the radar for me. From the signings we've made we'll have far more width, solidity and energy, particularly in midfield. I think we're geared up far better than we were in any of the previous seasons.

https://forum.punterslounge.com/topic/188781-non-league-outright-betting-202425-season/?do=findComment&comment=3052362

6 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Everyone knows the fans get on the backs of the players after 20 mins if we dont start well.

I'd dearly love our mentality as a fanbase to change when hiccups happen such as falling a goal behind. Can't see it, as it's ingrained by a belief that we're unable to get back into the game. But it has to change. 

10 minutes ago, philliggi said:

I think the key is the expectation. It is really hard to live up to if it’s set too high. The majority of games are tight ones in this league so to expect big wins because it’s against the likes of Braintree means that anything less than that is a failure for some. 

I think Mellon has gone out of his way to address that and to try manage the expectations of fans. So hopefully the number with that attitude is lower this season. 

I’d be absolutely thrilled with 3 points today, however it comes. 

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

He's a hack for the non league paper. However in his assessment of us in the link below he just doesn't consider us as competing and assumes we'll just be as bad as last season. Rabbits on about every other club's new signings though. I'm fine with that, we need to be placed right under the radar for me. From the signings we've made we'll have far more width, solidity and energy, particularly in midfield. I think we're geared up far better than we were in any of the previous seasons.

https://forum.punterslounge.com/topic/188781-non-league-outright-betting-202425-season/?do=findComment&comment=3052362

I'd dearly love our mentality as a fanbase to change when hiccups happen such as falling a goal behind. Can't see it, as it's ingrained by a belief that we're unable to get back into the game. But it has to change. 

It will change when it happens against the backdrop of the team showing some level of achievement across the wider season

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

We’re conditioned to see failure. So any small hiccup is seen as proof we’re soon to be totally fucked. It’s hard to change that mindset after 30+ years. It will take the team doing it a few times before fans will start to believe. A little like England in the euros. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

It will change when it happens against the backdrop of the team showing some level of achievement across the wider season

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We’re conditioned to see failure. So any small hiccup is seen as proof we’re soon to be totally fucked. It’s hard to change that mindset after 30+ years. It will take the team doing it a few times before fans will start to believe. A little like England in the euros. 

Yep you're both absolutely spot on. If we're more robust as a unit, the falling behind in a game moments should peter out much more. I'm quietly confident we're getting there but it's fair to see we've a completely different squad makeup than we had last term.

Nothing wrong with expectation particularly before a balls been kicked, our fan base really can be the twelfth man and this shouldn't be underestimated, problem we've had at home is the players sometimes maybe felt we were playing with ten.

With the new signings Monthe, Kay, Ogle, Caprice and Chersley I think they'll each relish the challenge of playing in front of a vociferous crowd, they all have that little something about them and have probably been brought in with that in mind.

I get it that our fan base is largely cautious but I honestly feel we've got a group capable of stepping up this season and if we can't be optimistic now then we may as well give up, everything is lining up for me and I'm hopeful of a better performance today, it's not disrespectful to predict a 3 or 4 nil home win today it's where I think we are at, come 3pm it's 11 v 11 and I'm sure the players will get the support that matches their performance, if we get beat we get beat but it won't be for the lack of effort or desire as it was at times last season.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Nothing wrong with expectation particularly before a balls been kicked, our fan base really can be the twelfth man and this shouldn't be underestimated, problem we've had at home is the players sometimes maybe felt we were playing with ten.

With the new signings Monthe, Kay, Ogle, Caprice and Chersley I think they'll each relish the challenge of playing in front of a vociferous crowd, they all have that little something about them and have probably been brought in with that in mind.

I get it that our fan base is largely cautious but I honestly feel we've got a group capable of stepping up this season and if we can't be optimistic now then we may as well give up, everything is lining up for me and I'm hopeful of a better performance today, it's not disrespectful to predict a 3 or 4 nil home win today it's where I think we are at, come 3pm it's 11 v 11 and I'm sure the players will get the support that matches their performance, if we get beat we get beat but it won't be for the lack of effort or desire as it was at times last season.

I can’t put up with this any longer YD73….FFS…it’s CHARSLEY!!! 😂😂

• Thanks 1

I know last season was a spectacular failure in the end but it's nice to be going into new seasons with a bit of optimism after years and years of Groundhog Day. It feels like we could and probably should be up there this season. For about 15 years we were all geared up every pre-season to finish 13th-16th.

I'm an Oldham fan so I know things could go very, very wrong but still... makes a change 

• Like 1

🚗 TRAFFIC UPDATE 🚙

If you're going to BP via the junction of St Mary's Way and Rochdale Road, I understand that there are still gas works and 3-way lights.

Last time I was on St Mary's Way the traffic was queuing back to Tommyfield Market. I'm not sure if anything has improved since?

25 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Should be a comfortable 2 or 3 nil win today. As for expectations - we should expect to beat Braintree at home. It's Braintree lads ffs!!

‘Should expect’ and ‘expect’ are worlds apart 

do I expect a win?

Yes

But it’s only marginally a yes 

8 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

‘Should expect’ and ‘expect’ are worlds apart 

do I expect a win?

Yes

But it’s only marginally a yes 

I'm an Oldham Athletic fan, I expect to beat Braintree at home.

• Like 1