MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 17/08/24

Captained by a Latics fan, Georgiou looks dangerous, other than that they look like they have mistakes in them by over playing and another team where it looks like we can get in behind the fullbacks, stronger test than Braintree but still expect us to win to nil, think they'll struggle this season.

10 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

a thousand Latics?

If we can take 800 to Dorking I'm sure we can muster close to that number. Nice day forecast and an opening day win under our belts you'd think it will be an healthy turnout.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Yeah I wouldn’t change anything. Think Kay will be back on the bench for someone. 

I could see Gardner possibly being rested to then start against Fylde. 

No doubt about it Gardner will need wrapping in cotton wool, good thing is it's now two from three across the midfield, Conlon, Gardner and Lundstrum holding and Chersley, Hammond and Kay more advanced. Lundstrum could come in for Gardner but other than that there would be no reason to change anything. 

19 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

No doubt about it Gardner will need wrapping in cotton wool, good thing is it's now two from three across the midfield, Conlon, Gardner and Lundstrum holding and Chersley, Hammond and Kay more advanced. Lundstrum could come in for Gardner but other than that there would be no reason to change anything. 

Kay can also play central so maybe he could replace Gardner, but l would start the same XI defo

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’d think it would be the other way round. After a week without a game he plays Saturday and is rested Tuesday. 

Nice to have midfield options and genuine competition for places, if we sign Khan that would just add to that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Nice to have midfield options and genuine competition for places, if we sign Khan that would just add to that.

remember a week ago when the dullards were crying out for signings 🤣🤣

squad looks really good to me

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yeah, although I find it very odd that bar Charsley  the same derided midfield from last season of Conlon, Hammond and Gardener can look so much better. (I know it’s only one game) To be fair though- maybe they have benefited from a good pre season and are just fitter and sharper. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, although I find it very odd that bar Charsley  the same derided midfield from last season of Conlon, Hammond and Gardener can look so much better. (I know it’s only one game) To be fair though- maybe they have benefited from a good pre season and are just fitter and sharper. 

Big difference this season is our midfield have been on the front foot closing down the opposition and pressing to regain the ball quickly and have players like Jes and Charsley who run at the opposition.

Just now, Bobledgersheart said:

Big difference this season is our midfield have been on the front foot closing down the opposition and pressing to regain the ball quickly and have players like Jes and Charsley who run at the opposition.

Yep we actually played through the midfield on Saturday. So many times last season we just played the ball over their heads and struggled to regain possession. 

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep we actually played through the midfield on Saturday. So many times last season we just played the ball over their heads and struggled to regain possession. 

Hence Norwood's frustration.

It's early days but it does look a lot better. 👍

Think we'll be unchanged.
One scenario I did feel would be the LWB position. Think Kitching is suited better in away games due to his more defensive nature. Given it's still summer and after his debut I'd be shocked to see Jes dropped. (Expecting this as we head towards October, even if Kitching leaves, think Caprice is more defensively minded)

As with Gardner, we've only played one game so would be shocked to expect him to be rested so soon. Would expect Lundstram to come on earlier if anything. 

2 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

Think Kitching is suited better in away games due to his more defensive nature.

I’ve read this a few times from various different people, and I must be watching a different player. Pre Christmas last season he was literally our only creative outlet and he much better going forward than he was defensively. 

To me he’s always been an attacking LB who is very good going forward and average defensively. 

• Like 1

A few changes has allowed our better footballers to knit better in to the system that Mellon and his team have adopted.

Firstly the back three look solid and have done all pre season, they'll have an off day but so far in the four home games I've seen have not conceded, that's going to be a platform for any team, they've also mixed it up with regards to playing it out, we used to hoof it regularly but now we can either play it out Wealdstone/Gateshead style or go long if the space is in behind, this is orchestrated by Hudson and Raglan so there must have been emphasis on this pre season, we were too slow and predictable last season which meant teams were happy to drop deep and sit in and in their own time as there was little urgency, now they have to think about it given our wingbacks set up as wingers from the dead ball, we are stretching teams and using the pitch as Mellon has alluded to. Hobson and Monthe love to defend and are great competitors, both have pace and are good in the air, both also bring a presence to the back line which we've lacked and three of them appear to be doing a job it took five to do last season.

In midfield we look different because we've sacrificed the striker, there's little point playing two up top if you can't get the ball in to them, we are playing a four with two a little deeper controlling and the other two further forwards getting through the real hard yards supporting the lone striker, these are the legs Mellon speaks about, I think Kay has been brought in to play this role as he puts himself about and does have a goal in him, I know he covers other positions but this is where I see him contributing the most, good thing about Kay is he has the composure that Hammond at times lacks in front of goal and I hope he will be back in the squad for the weekend.

The new players coming in have helped there's no doubt about it but our approach to games is also a huge factor, I know they should be givens but the urgency and desire are right where we need them, none of the bitching at the referee for 90 minutes picking up booking after booking for poor discipline, they are just going about their work with a new focus and look a different team.

I'm hoping we can carry on at Wealdstone on Saturday, they'll try and play I presume as that's their style but if our mindset is right there's no reason at all we can't give them a good game if we attack them at pace and get in behind their centrehalfs who are strong with the ball in front of them but don't like it in behind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Very early to claim a big difference has taken place