MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 17/08/24

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The next 5 games will tell us much more than games against Braintree and Wealdstone will. Positive start, but still a long way to go...

l'm expecting us to perform better against teams who try to beat us rather than park XI men behind the ball. like in pre season when we played better against L1 teams than we did against those in leagues below us away from home.

32 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Garner is going to be used when we need to break the play up especially if we are away and defending a lead.

His shithousery is epic and with his kudos will win us lots of free kicks and be in the refs ear. It’s what we have needed, a bit of guile up front.

My mate is a massive PNE fan and to quote him..

”If Neil Warnock was to be reincarnated as a footballer, he’d come back as Joe Garner”.

👍

Didn’t really work last season 

48 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Think it would be quite unusual for a player to get 20+ plus goals having not done so for 5 years beforehand.

Lee Hughes probably did but he did have a mid career break...

Not unusual at all, some players improve with age, Paul Mullin for instance played six seasons in League 2 scoring 8,10,10,10,7,7 respectably, he actually played over 45 games in four of them seasons and 30 in the other two so it's not like he hardly played, Tranmere couldn't give him away he signs for another League 2 club Cambridge and bags 36 followed by 32, 47, 26.

Scoring over 20 is difficult enough anyway so you could argue it's unusual for the majority to start with, players mature at different rates in different environments but there are examples of late flourishers within the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I think it's more important to have a team that works, rather than an individual that can score 20.

Fondop should hit double figures, Charsley's already got two, Jes could chip in, Gardner's always good for a goal or half-dozen.

Nobody walks into this team at the moment.

I think you need both really, it's great sharing the goals around but I'd imagine most teams who've got out of this division have had a 20 goals+ goalscorer.

Mullin, Langstaff, Grigg, Madden etc 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Not unusual at all, some players improve with age, Paul Mullin for instance played six seasons in League 2 scoring 8,10,10,10,7,7 respectably, he actually played over 45 games in four of them seasons and 30 in the other two so it's not like he hardly played, Tranmere couldn't give him away he signs for another League 2 club Cambridge and bags 36 followed by 32, 47, 26.

Scoring over 20 is difficult enough anyway so you could argue it's unusual for the majority to start with, players mature at different rates in different environments but there are examples of late flourishers within the game. 

Bit different when you are approaching 34.

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Bit different when you are approaching 34.

Why? Are you saying he couldn't have his best goals return this season then?. He looks in terrific shape for his age and has played a pivotal part in our steady start this season. He has a goal and a very good assist already and most strikers would be content having two goal involvements two games in. 

The game yesterday was petering out a little until Fondop found the assist through pure desire and determination, I'd rather celebrate that than pontify over what he may or may not have done in previous seasons, it means zilch to what he can offer now.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Why? Are you saying he couldn't have his best goals return this season then?. He looks in terrific shape for his age and has played a pivotal part in our steady start this season. He has a goal and a very good assist already and most strikers would be content having two goal involvements two games in. 

The game yesterday was petering out a little until Fondop found the assist through pure desire and determination, I'd rather celebrate that than pontify over what he may or may not have done in previous seasons, it means zilch to what he can offer now.

Fondop could yeah, not so sure about Norwood.

On 8/17/2024 at 3:10 PM, kowenicki said:

BBC not doing National league radio commentary this year? 

They are but not every game. Wealdstone presumably being in Radio London and us in GMR aka Radio Bolton is probably an instance where the local radio is too big to pick up either team. Or can only pick up 1 non league game but have more than 1 team at our level. The Braintree "game" was available but seemed to miss about the first 10 minutes of each half. I expect Radio Bolton will pick up our games against Dale and Alty. The other games will depend on how many other teams are in the opposition catchment area. For example our games against York will be on, but both of our games against Fylde might not be.

If Latics had got their act together and released the article about the website changes the week before they might have had a few more bob. 

• Like 1

Re Fondop - he perhaps isn't getting enough credit for the job he did in our box yesterday. It seemed like every dangerous set piece they had it was him winning the header and getting a good clearing header too. Given their #4 was a literal giant that was an area where they looked dangerous.

Similarly Monthe did well in our final third, putting in a couple of dangerous crosses and linking up nicely. He's a clear upgrade on Hogan and I think both Raglan and Hobson have benefitted from playing in a back 3.

Charsley and Hammond seemed capable of doing Gardner and Conlon's running, Jes and Ogle looked dangerous going forward but can see Kitching and/or Caprice playing against better opposition for their defensive nouse.

We haven't made wholesale changes but we have made upgrades.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Re Fondop - he perhaps isn't getting enough credit for the job he did in our box yesterday. It seemed like every dangerous set piece they had it was him winning the header and getting a good clearing header too. Given their #4 was a literal giant that was an area where they looked dangerous.

He's always back defending.  I don't know what people have against him.  It is weird.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Fondop is a great back up striker to have, but he's never going to get you anywhere close to 20 goals and probably isn't a good enough all round player to make up for that. This isn't me criticising him, we all know what he is and what value he adds to this squad. But Norwood scored 17 in a side last season that was never really anything better than dysfunctional really (which is why he was so frustrated at times), he should be nailed on 20 plus in a better organised side with an actual midfield. 

Not arguing with you just wondering how many did Mikey get last season in a poor team ? 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He's always back defending.  I don't know what people have against him.  It is weird.

I don't think anyone has anything against him, just realise he probably isn't good enough to be a starting striker in a team going for automatic promotion. It's not really a controversial statement, he's a useful but limited footballer who's great to have in a squad

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Personally think a lot of it is the fact hartlepool fans slagged him off before we signed him and people struggle to form their own opinions. 

He also doesnt look slick and 'like the norm'. Things like his famous goose step will work against him in that respect,along with his red card record, but his goal return and assist ratio is therefore overshadowed. 

Hes one of those players that you have you dig deeper than the surface to see what he brings, but for me he forms a cornerstone in what could be a formidable front 4. All we are missing for me is a wayne andrews style player in replacement for reid. We have the finisher in norwood, the strength in fondop, someone to see out a game in garner, we just need that youthful pace and we have the complete package. 

Edited by philliggi
Typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Personally think a lot of it is the fact hartlepool fans slagged him off before we signed him and people struggle to form their own opinions. 

He also doesnt look slick and 'like the norm'. Things like his famous goose step will work against him in that respect,along with his red card record, but his goal return and assist ratio is therefore overshadowed. 

Hes one of those players that you have you dig deeper than the surface to see what he brings, but for me he forms a cornerstone in what could be a formidable front 4. All we are missing for me is a wayne andrews style player in replacement for reid. We have the finisher in norwood, the strength in fondop, someone to see out a game in garner, we just need that youthful pace and we have the complete package. 

A lot of our fans do like to concentrate on what our players have done at other clubs, rather than what they do here...

4 minutes ago, philliggi said:

The 1st paragraph is utter bollocks if you don't mind me saying. 

14 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I don't think anyone has anything against him, just realise he probably isn't good enough to be a starting striker in a team going for automatic promotion. It's not really a controversial statement, he's a useful but limited footballer who's great to have in a squad

As I say, he's been called "an idiot", "a helmet" (on here) and there was borderline outrage that he got a new contract (albeit mainly on X..).

It's the National League - he doesn't need to play like Mbappe.  He's started the last two games, scoring in one and setting up the winner in the other.  I'm not sure he can do much more at this stage to justify a starting spot..

• Like 2

Just now, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Yeah I edited it to Mikey. Think he may get up to 15 or so. Let’s see. 

I hope so. His best ever league season is 11 so I'd say last season is about par really, but tbf if we can get one striker around the 20 mark and the rest adding Fondop numbers then we're in with a chance 

• Like 1