MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 17/08/24

Why are we debating what Fondop might or might not do in the future?

Let's just appreciate what he HAS done in the last two games. 

He obviously loves our club and knew he had to step up and get fitter to keep his place. We know his limitations but let's celebrate his attributes instead.

Also yesterday's match is a classic example of how staying in a game by not conceding due to a strong defence helps you win games. 

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

He obviously loves our club and knew he had to step up and get fitter to keep his place. We know his limitations but let's celebrate his attributes instead.

Also yesterday's match is a classic example of how staying in a game by not conceding due to a strong defence helps you win games. 

That defence looks mustard now. Great base to build on. Having a functional, solid midfield is key though. I'm convinced we haven't had a proper midfield since Lee Johnson, the last few seasons it's been so easy to play through us. We could've have had Baresi at the back some of those seasons and he'd have struggled (obviously, he's in his 60s)

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

41 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Yep, just a patronising way of saying "your opinion is different to mine therefore it's wrong".

There was sense in the rest of the post, but saying that people struggle to form their own opinions is just wrong. If it sounded patronising it wasn't meant to be. 

41 minutes ago, JoeP said:

As I say, he's been called "an idiot", "a helmet" (on here) and there was borderline outrage that he got a new contract (albeit mainly on X..).

It's the National League - he doesn't need to play like Mbappe.  He's started the last two games, scoring in one and setting up the winner in the other.  I'm not sure he can do much more at this stage to justify a starting spot..

Don’t do X so can’t comment on that but I feel as though Fondop has always been a big fan favourite whilst he’s been here. I’ve criticised him in the past but accept that he’s a player valuable to have in and around the squad. Also don’t condone personal insults but calling someone on here an idiot or an helmet, presumably after 1 of his reckless sending offs is fine in my eyes and i’d expect every player to be called similar if they had acted similarly in the past.

33 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

It's a tough job leading the line on your own and I can't think of many who've done it as well. 

Centre backs usually have it easy, not against Fondup. 

31 minutes ago, daniel said:

Don’t do X so can’t comment on that but I feel as though Fondop has always been a big fan favourite whilst he’s been here. I’ve criticised him in the past but accept that he’s a player valuable to have in and around the squad. Also don’t condone personal insults but calling someone on here an idiot or an helmet, presumably after 1 of his reckless sending offs is fine in my eyes and i’d expect every player to be called similar if they had acted similarly in the past.

Nope.  In the Braintree match thread after the game, unbelievably...

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Kitchen hasn’t got any defensive nouse!😂😂

As someone who has played LB all his career he has more than Jes who is more of a winger. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Nope.  In the Braintree match thread after the game, unbelievably...

Well yeah that does seem a bit silly, especially as he scored and largely had a good game. I still have him as 3rd choice striker, and possibly 4th if we do sign someone but I do like him and he’ll play a big part this season.

Main issue is down the right where Ogle probably through no fault of his own hasn't been as effective in the opposition half, particularly at home Caprice may be favoured, it's nice having options all over the pitch.

On 8/17/2024 at 5:30 PM, Guy Branston Pickle said:

How was the catering?

Dogshit! They ran out of all cold liquid before the end of halftime, including tap water! You could have tea or black coffee.

On 8/17/2024 at 10:46 PM, BradKnowles1 said:

Look we won but I still feel lack creative and that striker to score. Fondop positioning at times was very poor 

I think that's harsh - second half multiple times he's in a perfectly decent position for a forward and our long balls were just wayward. He ran his bollocks off - as evidenced by the goal and the red card - to get in positions, get their defenders turning, causing a nuisance. He's never going to be the best footballer on the pitch, but that was a rock solid traditional number nine performance. 

19 hours ago, JoeP said:

Nobody walks into this team at the moment.

To paraphrase Raggy, because he's rarely on here these days - dropping Mike for Norwood last season was a factor in losing momentum and Mike losing confidence. You can't watch that performance on Saturday and think anything other than starting him makes perfect sense. 

15 hours ago, philliggi said:

He's one of those players that you have you dig deeper than the surface to see what he brings...

And I think there's something about Mikey's surface which probably affects some opinions of him. It's funny how about 75 minutes in when Monethe struggled to provide an overlapping run down the left a couple of people screamed at each other behind the goal that it was "typical" and "he's fucking lazy" - despite him being brilliant all game and having put in a mammoth shift.  People will be people... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately some have made their mind up about Fondop and are so entrenched in that view that they can't even concede it when he plays well and contributes which is a shame, didn't hear any criticism on Saturday but in the home game against Braintree I had what can only be described as a weapon sat nearby who gave him pelters almost incessantly from minute one until he was substituted, it was embarrassing and this is from a grown man, I get it from the youngsters at times but fucking hell some people really need to have a word with themselves, he's going to frustrate that's why he's playing in Division 5 but he brings something many others don't and you can never fault him for that.

• Like 5

Fondop is a decent option, but is very limited. 

He will do the business against lower quality opposition but is he a starting striker in a team that wants to win the league? No. 

But I am glad with how he has started and hope it continues ! 

11 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Fondop is a decent option, but is very limited. 

He will do the business against lower quality opposition but is he a starting striker in a team that wants to win the league? No. 

But I am glad with how he has started and hope it continues ! 

Keep reading that he's "limited", but in what way?

Defends, Attacks, scores with his head, scores with his feet, scores close up, scores from range, runs at the opposition, bullies them and - if you see his involvement in the goal on Saturday - is actually a really decent footballer.

How is that more limited than someone who - off the top of my head - is just a good finisher and takes a good penalty?

Edited by JoeP

My opinion like many on here saw him as a "battering ram" sub to come on after 70 minutes to play against a tiring defence however this season he seems much fitter and, dare I say it, his touch seems a bit better.

He still hasn't got the nuances of a decent striker or makes pro-active runs or gets into the box quicky enough or gets across the front post (which Charsley did for the goal on Saturday) but it's glorious seeing his enthusiasm for the game and love for my team and I'm really enjoying watching him !  👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Defends, Attacks, scores with his head, scores with his feet, scores close up, scores from range, runs at the opposition, bullies them and - if you see his involvement in the goal on Saturday - is actually a really decent footballer.

How is that more limited than someone who - off the top of my head - is just a good finisher and takes a good penalty?

He's a NL league level striker whose best scoring season is 11. He can occasionally be brilliant, and occasionally be awful. His finishing is inconsistent, to be kind. He's lacking a lot of technical attributes. It's absolutely fair to call him limited. And that's fine at this level, it's the reason most players are playing NL football.

He looks to have improved this season, both as a footballer and in terms of temperament. If he can keep that up he'll be an extremely useful player for us this season

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

See post above. 

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

What is underestimated is his desire to win defensive headers, in the second half on Saturday he made some pretty decent clearances which took the pressure off the whole team.

He made two absolutely critical headers, one of them very difficult given the way the play had shuffled around.

11 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

He's a NL league level striker whose best scoring season is 11. He can occasionally be brilliant, and occasionally be awful. His finishing is inconsistent, to be kind. He's lacking a lot of technical attributes. It's absolutely fair to call him limited. And that's fine at this level, it's the reason most players are playing NL football.

He looks to have improved this season, both as a footballer and in terms of temperament. If he can keep that up he'll be an extremely useful player for us this season

By that logic, it's fair to call every player we have limited - there's not one striker we have that brings the benefits Fondop does.

For me, he plays whenever he's available.