MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 17/08/24

Mellon talks about how the crowd showed their football intelligence and I agree, last season I was stood in the same place and it seemed surrounded by neanderthals, it was pleasing today that there was none of that nonsense but I'd put that down to the players appetite and application, as fans nobody can criticise if the players give their all win, lose or draw and they are doing just that, that's all many of us ask for.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Norwood plays for Oldham, aren't we all Norwood fans?

Are we really going to do this after a positive start?

Exactly!!! 

36 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

I didn’t go today but why can’t we just celebrate him for what he is? A very good division 5 footballer that’s gives his all for our team? And let’s face it, is massively undervalued by large chunks of our fan base.

Spot on mate.....give me another half a dozen with his heart and belief. He's 100% bought in to what we all want and has been since he's been here. He's obviously prone to a brain fart but has worked hard to improve his game and his temperament. If you can't celebrate Fondop at this level, go and watch a team in a higher league.....and then no doubt subsequently moan about De Bruyne,

Edited by otid
  • Like 11

8 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Norwood plays for Oldham, aren't we all Norwood fans?

Are we really going to do this after a positive start?

I didn’t say that? I’m a Norwood fan just pointing out it goes two ways….

Edited by latics22

4 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Mellon said the fans showed "footballing intelligence" this afternoon.

Certainly makes a change from other fans calling our fans the worst in the country and criticising at every opportunity.  I prefer and trust Mellon's view.

Personally I found it patronising,

my option only.

16 minutes ago, latics22 said:

my option only.

You could only find that patronising if you regularly moan like fuck for no reason

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I thought Hudson had saved that really good chance of theirs but looking at the highlights it looks like a Raglan block. Great effort. 

Yes he flew in from the side and took it for Hudson, I've been impressed with Raglan in the three all pre season and despite not being the tallest he won the aerial battle almost single handedly towards the end, as a group they really do care about the clean sheet which is great, some blocks and saves are celebrated like goals.

9 minutes ago, latics22 said:

my option only.

Mellon is nobody's fool.

He had a bit of a dig about supporters turning on the team very early  in games and calling for patience. But he knows it is chicken and egg and has clearly worked on recruitment and training to provide a more proactive, hard-working group of players that supporters can get behind.

Don't think we will necessarily be the most free-flowing, but Mellon is a pragmatist. Battle for the shirt and fans will be more forgiving, as they clearly  were today  - and Mellon is shrewd enough to pick up on that and praise supporters for their understanding.

It's going to be a long, hard slog with plenty of ups and downs and Mellon clearly wants to promote this mantra of  we're all in it together. Bit like JR with KTF.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

So the Norwood fans, we would have been relegated without Norwood. So would we be bottom without gods number 9?

Look we won but I still feel lack creative and that striker to score. Fondop positioning at times was very poor 

8 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Look we won but I still feel lack creative and that striker to score. Fondop positioning at times was very poor 

Main thing is we’re winning when not at our best, have a couple of injured players to come back and looks like we might be signing another at least..

Winning breeds confidence and this side will only get better….happy days!

Honestly I’ve seen nothing since supporting us. 

I feel this is the first time in a long time we can do something. 

me and binman have ran coaches to the arse end of nowhere for the last two years expecting nothing.

I know it’s two games but today is the first time I’ve looked at everyone and people feel the beleive.

i still feel we are short it’s down to the board to back mellon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I thought Hudson had saved that really good chance of theirs but looking at the highlights it looks like a Raglan block. Great effort. 

Raglan was MotM today - a true leader on the pitch - best I’ve seen him play for Latics by a long way 😃

However Latics were poor today - One dimensional play - too many long balls - too many overhit long balls - not much creativity - but we defended well and in the end we deserved the victory.

2 hours ago, welshgaz said:

I didn’t go today but why can’t we just celebrate him for what he is? A very good division 5 footballer that’s gives his all for our team? And let’s face it, is massively undervalued by large chunks of our fan base.

I think most of the fan base has him about right, can't fault his effort and desire, has moments of magic in him but lacks the consistency and the brain to be a constant in the team...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, latics22 said:

I didn’t say that? I’m a Norwood fan just pointing out it goes two ways….

We wouldn't be bottom of the league of the league if Fondop didn't play and we would probably have stayed up if Norwood didn't sign for us last season so both points of view are false.

I like both for different reasons they both bring something to the table.

Very positive start to the season so far. The willingness of the players to run and press is night and day compared to last season.

The pitch didn’t help the flow of the game, it was slow with any speed quickly taken off the passes. This made it harder to play on the deck.

Big positives:

- defensively we look solid

- signings have improved our press and general fitness

- stronger bench

- fewer individual mistakes being made by players so far

Negatives:

- injuries have limited our attacking options

No complaints here… I can see what Mellon is trying to do and so far so good.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, otid said:

You could only find that patronising if you regularly moan like fuck for no reason

There’s been something to moan about nearly every week for last 4 years though.  No one is moaning when we put shift in and team is where we a paying for it to be in league table