MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 17/08/24

2 hours ago, daniel said:

No way any of those pay his full wages and so we wouldn’t contemplate any such offer of a loan, surely? 

I was responding more to Eyresy to be honest, for what it's worth I reckon he and Garner will fancy it with us this season.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I was responding more to Eyresy to be honest, for what it's worth I reckon he and Garner will fancy it with us this season.

Norwood and Charsley in particular, with Conlon, is a very attractive proposition. 

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

We don't play with a front two, I wouldn't be sacrificing a midfielder to get another striker in to the team as it would damage what we've been able to do, look at the Radcliffe game as evidence of that, when Norwood and Garner are fit they'd have to come in for any of the front three who have normally been selected from Fondop, Kay, Charsley and Hammond. We can't change the system to shoehorn players in it just doesn't work. 

You could have two front three's in Norwood, Garner and Kay or also Fondop, Charsley and Hammond or any combination. It will be interesting to see Norwood in a better team offering up more chances.

I wasn’t thinking tactics, I was just asking who is the best current front two.

But on your point. You’re talking in absolute terms- as if one up front has always been the master plan. Rather than needs must- which I think it was. Reid not fancied. Nors and Garner not fit. Smith offered a two year deal. Why does he want four strikers if the plan is always one front. He also played two up front for the vast majority of last season.

He’s had to play one up front. It now transpires that works well for us with this team, and while we’re playing well only a fool would change it. 

But I don’t think for one minute this will be our set up all season, (unless we keep winning) and there will be plenty of times he plays two up top. 

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I wasn’t thinking tactics, I was just asking who is the best current front two.

But on your point. You’re talking in absolute terms- as if one up front has always been the master plan. Rather than needs must- which I think it was. Reid not fancied. Nors and Garner not fit. Smith offered a two year deal. Why does he want four strikers if the plan is always one front. He also played two up front for the vast majority of last season.

He’s had to play one up front. It now transpires that works well for us with this team, and while we’re playing well only a fool would change it. 

But I don’t think for one minute this will be our set up all season, (unless we keep winning) and there will be plenty of times he plays two up top. 

I think we will need to go two up top eventually, or play with more wide forwards, though we don’t have a player who can play that position on the right currently. 

I just don’t see enough goals in this setup, but plenty of energy and pressing. I would be glad to be proved wrong. 

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I think we will need to go two up top eventually, or play with more wide forwards, though we don’t have a player who can play that position on the right currently. 

I just don’t see enough goals in this setup, but plenty of energy and pressing. I would be glad to be proved wrong. 

Agreed. 

I just don’t think one up top is sustainable in the medium to long term. There will be games the striker gets isolated, and we need more presence and goal threat like you say. 

I would argue our back 3 is the best in the league now. That means we shouldn’t need two holding in every game. Caprice/Ogle to provide width. Nors/Another up top. 

• Like 1

• Bender unfeatured this topic
17 hours ago, League one forever said:

Agreed. 

I just don’t think one up top is sustainable in the medium to long term. There will be games the striker gets isolated, and we need more presence and goal threat like you say. 

I would argue our back 3 is the best in the league now. That means we shouldn’t need two holding in every game. Caprice/Ogle to provide width. Nors/Another up top. 

Bit disappointed with Caprice and Kay v Fylde, Kay looks more of a wide man to me while Caprice didn't get in the crosses I thought he would. 

Early days though as both players have a good competive attitude. 

Could be in some games we may need to play just 2 centre backs to strengthen other attacking options. 

Edited by BP1960

9 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Please, please no going back to 4 4 2 when the back 3 is working so well !

Fully Agree - Monthe and Hobson basically cover at full back generally so Ogle/Caprice/Jez can provide the width. If we want to play two up top then one of the midfield 4 would need to go. 

Edited by dannyboy55555

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Please, please no going back to 4 4 2 when the back 3 is working so well !

The back 3 may be working well, but we are definitely one short attacking. 

Teams need to be flexible, Chris Beech said Fylde knew exactly how to nullify our attackers. 

We won't concede many, but won't score many goals against good opposition with this set up, particularly at home. 

Braintree were so poor and an exception IMO. 

Edited by BP1960

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The back 3 may be working well, but we are definitely one short attacking. 

Teams need to be flexible, Chris Beech said Fylde knew exactly how to nullify our attackers. 

We won't score many goals against good opposition with this set up, particularly at home. 

Braintree were so poor and an exception IMO. 

We've conceded one in three so I wouldn't be making changes to our defence, in attack we'll know more when Norwood anf Garner are fit so I'd hang fire until then.

We did miss Conlon last night, I thought Gardner was a bit subdued and missed Ogle's drive as Caprice had a quiet time.

We don't need to win the league in the first ten games just be well up there until we get our big player(s) fit.

I did think we overplayed it around the back way too much and went for the "glory pass" a bit instead of running at a poor defence, perhaps showing them a bit too much respect.

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Bit disappointed with Caprice and Kay v Fylde, Kay looks more of a wide man to me while Caprice didn't get in the crosses I thought he would. 

Early days though as both players have a good competive attitude. 

Could be in some games we may need to play just 2 centre backs to strengthen other attacking options. 

Monthe did pretty well breaking out of the back 3 on some marauding runs. 

For me that’s a crucial part of a back 3 if you have cbs that can do that. I think we’ve seen all 3 do that at some point so far this season. It creates a spare man when attacking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Monthe did pretty well breaking out of the back 3 on some marauding runs. 

For me that’s a crucial part of a back 3 if you have cbs that can do that. I think we’ve seen all 3 do that at some point so far this season. It creates a spare man when attacking. 

I really like overlapping centrebacks,different levels obviously but it worked really well for Wilder at Sheffield United and Gasperini at Atalanta. Creates an overload without weakening yourself defensively. Also hopefully should free Jes up a bit especially as teams are double marking him already 

• Like 2