MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 17/08/24

4 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Very early to claim a big difference has taken place 

You keep pushing this, it's obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes, there's a big difference already, whether it's sustained at the same level is up for debate but you really are trying too hard to find fault when there's not much to go at, at least wait till we hit our first blip yourself and Rob will be all over it then for sure.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You keep pushing this, it's obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes, there's a big difference already, whether it's sustained at the same level is up for debate but you really are trying too hard to find fault when there's not much to go at, at least wait till we hit our first blip yourself and Rob will be all over it then for sure.

Agreed. Don't think I saw us play with that intensity once last season (maybe Chesterfield at home, but was watching that via a dodgy stream from Bulgaria, so missed most of it!).

44 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Agreed. Don't think I saw us play with that intensity once last season (maybe Chesterfield at home, but was watching that via a dodgy stream from Bulgaria, so missed most of it!).

Spot on. 

Chesterfield at home and Barnet away were the only two games we played with that intensity. 

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

Chesterfield at home and Barnet away were the only two games we played with that intensity. 

Not sure about Barnet - I was at that game. We defended well, and countered brilliantly, but our midfield didn't grab hold of the game by any means.

1 minute ago, oafcmetty said:

Not sure about Barnet - I was at that game. We defended well, and countered brilliantly, but our midfield didn't grab hold of the game by any means.

Yeah, we weren’t fluid in midfield- but like you say everyone was at it in terms of desire and work rate and we moved the ball quickly from back to front on the counter. It was the exception to the vast majority of the the games. 

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, we weren’t fluid in midfield- but like you say everyone was at it in terms of desire and work rate and we moved the ball quickly from back to front on the counter. It was the exception to the vast majority of the the games. 

Eastleigh away was pretty good

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Finding fault and not being willing to draw definitive conclusions after 1 game against Braintree are two very different things. 

am simply gobsmacked about what people are inferring from the game on Saturday. Latics fans should know better.

I choose to exercise caution. With good reason 

Please be clear, I find no fault,

nor is there fault to be found, after game 1. But then social media doesn’t like that. Extreme views only allowed. Middle ground and balance is boring. See British politics 

Edited by AndyB2

Just now, AndyB2 said:

Finding fault and not being willing to draw definitive conclusions after 1 game against Braintree are two very different things. 

am simply gobsmacked about what people are inferring from the game on Saturday. Latics fans should know better.

nor is there fault to be found, after game 1.

Are you really gobsmacked? I don't even think anyone is being particularly OTT, just that on Saturday they looked much better than at any point last season against the kind of opposition we consistently lost to.

Half of the match thread was people whinging about pies ffs

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Are you really gobsmacked? I don't even think anyone is being particularly OTT, just that on Saturday they looked much better than at any point last season against the kind of opposition we consistently lost to.

He's probably overselling it abit by saying how "gobsmacked" he is but it is still only 1 game. That's the line I'd be saying if we'd lost Saturday so I think it's only right if we use it if we win. 

Obviously there was plenty of encouraging signs on Saturday and it's shows the potential of the squad but we have to turn up with the attitude that we have to earn the right to beat these teams. 

If we play our to our best level of performance and Wealdstone play to their best then we will probably win as we will if we turn up and play to our best against the majority of teams in this division. Man for Man we have the ability to beat match any team in this division just aslong as we don't half arse it in any of the games.

54 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

The pod was getting carried away on Monday. Thats for sure. 

gobsmacked may be an over statement.

I need 6 games before I will start to believe something has fundamentally changed.

Merely the jury is out. Nothing more than that 

Edited by AndyB2

I don't disagree with you both, we've probably got to be careful not to get ahead of ourselves but I think people were just relieved to see a proper complete, controlled performance at home as we haven't seen one for probably years tbh.

Saturday is a good test. I might be wrong but I don't think we've beat Wealdstone at all since coming down have we?

48 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

nor is there fault to be found, after game 1. But then social media doesn’t like that. Extreme views only allowed. Middle ground and balance is boring. See British politics 

Nobodies asked you to draw a definitive conclusion, all that's happened is a few of us have noticed a change in approach to games from last season, we know it's only Braintree but you'd be aware more than many that they were the type of team we struggled against last season.

Of course you're allowed your view it just appears that you can't judge a performance on it's merits, as the self appointed caution police 🚔 I shall cut you some slack now that I know, I think we all know supporting Latics can bite you on the arse it has for 30 years, part of the problem with that is all those who support your view prefer to reference and look backwards not forwards to where we want to go.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Nobodies asked you to draw a definitive conclusion, all that's happened is a few of us have noticed a change in approach to games from last season, we know it's only Braintree but you'd be aware more than many that they were the type of team we struggled against last season.

Of course you're allowed your view it just appears that you can't judge a performance on it's merits, as the self appointed caution police 🚔 I shall cut you some slack now that I know, I think we all know supporting Latics can bite you on the arse it has for 30 years, part of the problem with that is all those who support your view prefer to reference and look backwards not forwards to where we want to go.

You are right. The reality is I have so little faith in all things oafc that I can’t get excited until the change is palpable. It’s going to take a bit more than what happened on Saturday to feel that. 

12 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

The pod was getting carried away on Monday. Thats for sure. 

gobsmacked may be an over statement.

I need 6 games before I will start to believe something has fundamentally changed.

Merely the jury is out. Nothing more than that 

Nah, the pod rightly applauded the performance, but there were caveats there re the opposition, and the fact it was only 1 game, it's only right we celebrate a win with a decent performance. Everyone I have spoke to since Saturday is in the same boat, after some of the dross we have witnessed in past years it's refreshing to see some football being played. 

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Nah, the pod rightly applauded the performance, but there were caveats there re the opposition, and the fact it was only 1 game, it's only right we celebrate a win with a decent performance. Everyone I have spoke to since Saturday is in the same boat, after some of the dross we have witnessed in past years it's refreshing to see some football being played. 

It was refreshing yes

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Oh and I continue to ‘push’ my opinions on a message board 

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

The memories of last season will take longer than one game to diminish in this observers eyes.

Stop pushing your negative agenda 

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

The memories of last season will take longer than one game to diminish in this observers eyes.

Which most posters keep saying in different terms, let's just enjoy what may be the start of success, we as fans are long overdue. 

Saturday will be a completely different kind of test. Whilst always going to be a lower half NL team, Wealdstone will probably play the kind of football that is more likely to hurt us than the way Braintree played. However if you're a team with a top three finish in mind, it's a match you simply should take something from. Won't be easy, and it's probably as rudimentary as facilities and pitches get at this level.

Expecting similar from Saturday in terms of energy and pressing. I think we'll win by the odd goal.