MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 17/08/24

2 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I don't disagree with you both, we've probably got to be careful not to get ahead of ourselves but I think people were just relieved to see a proper complete, controlled performance at home as we haven't seen one for probably years tbh.

Saturday is a good test. I might be wrong but I don't think we've beat Wealdstone at all since coming down have we?

Correct - drawn both aways and lost both home games. A win is overdue!!

10 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

remember a week ago when the dullards were crying out for signings 🤣🤣

squad looks really good to me

I still feel we are about 2 players light Khan and a striker are brought in (we are yet to use the loan market) then I'd feel that little bit more confident.

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I still feel we are about 2 players light Khan and a striker are brought in (we are yet to use the loan market) then I'd feel that little bit more confident.

Why a striker when it looks like we will be playing with one for now, if Reid goes I get it but as things stand four is enough. We had a pretty strong bench last Saturday with three forwards to come back in.

14 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Completely agree with that but we definitely need to offload Reid. 
We’ve done well with one up front but I think the main reason we’re playing that way is because our 1st choice strikers are injured and MM doesn’t fancy Reid.

The fact MM was trying to sign Matt Smith suggests his favoured formation  would be 3 5 2 and because we’ve now got the right players to implement it.

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Why a striker when it looks like we will be playing with one for now, if Reid goes I get it but as things stand four is enough. We had a pretty strong bench last Saturday with three forwards to come back in.

9 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Completely agree with that but we definitely need to offload Reid. 
We’ve done well with one up front but I think the main reason we’re playing that way is because our 1st choice strikers are injured and MM doesn’t fancy Reid.

The fact MM was trying to sign Matt Smith suggests his favoured formation  would be 3 5 2 and because we’ve now got the right players to implement it.

Thinking about over the course of the season I can see us playing a few different types of formations some games we might go with 1 upfront others we might go with 2 so I think over the course of the season we will need 1 preferably 1 that is young and energetic as he would complement the forwards we have, plus a young forward going put on loan will benefit alot from playing alongside experienced pros like Garner or Norwood.

We know we can't rely on Dan Gardners fitness, we need someone to fill in for him, dare I say it Conlon has a history of fitness issues too so thatbextra midfieldr would help.

Ofcourse we also want to get rid of Alex Reid a players who seems quite happy to tell everyone on Instagram he a footballer and collect a wage but not do any of the actual work required to being a footballer.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Thinking about over the course of the season I can see us playing a few different types of formations some games we might go with 1 upfront others we might go with 2 so I think over the course of the season we will need 1 preferably 1 that is young and energetic as he would complement the forwards we have, plus a young forward going put on loan will benefit alot from playing alongside experienced pros like Garner or Norwood.

We know we can't rely on Dan Gardners fitness, we need someone to fill in for him, dare I say it Conlon has a history of fitness issues too so thatbextra midfieldr would help.

Ofcourse we also want to get rid of Alex Reid a players who seems quite happy to tell everyone on Instagram he a footballer and collect a wage but not do any of the actual work required to being a footballer.

Possibly harsh on Reid? I don't think he's be in the squad if he wasn't putting the effort in.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Possibly harsh on Reid? I don't think he's be in the squad if he wasn't putting the effort in.

He came on Saturday swanned about didn't touch the ball and by the sounds of it has been doing the same in pre-season bearing in mind he's been kicking his heels for 8 months and the reason he was out should mean he should be trying harder than everyonelse to make an impact and come on and and prove a point I don't see that from him.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

We haven't got another central striker may be the reason?

He's looked totally disinterested apart from the run at Southport to earn a penalty.....which he missed !

People saying we could try Kitch up front if Mikey got injured puts perspective on it.

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

We haven't got another central striker may be the reason?

He's looked totally disinterested apart from the run at Southport to earn a penalty.....which he missed !

People saying we could try Kitch up front if Mikey got injured puts perspective on it.

Kitch is a far better option than Reid and I wanted Reid to do well.

43 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

He came on Saturday swanned about didn't touch the ball…

So you obviously didn’t watch the game then.

He looked lively when he came on, had a couple of good runs pulling defenders with him, and had the run where he cut in with ball but put his shot straight at the keeper.

”didn’t touch the ball”? 😞

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

He looked lively when he came on, had a couple of good runs pulling defenders with him, and had the run where he cut in with ball but put his shot straight at the keeper.

That's your idea of lively I'd dread to think what disinterested looks like to you. I've seen Alex Reid look lively and that on Saturday wasn't it.

14 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

When he had the shot he chose to take it onto his weaker foot rather than play a teammate in with his left.

Sorry but we'll have to agree to differ. he looks way off the pace to me ( and I don't dislike him as a player !).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

When he had the shot he chose to take it onto his weaker foot rather than play a teammate in with his left.

Sorry but we'll have to agree to differ. he looks way off the pace to me ( and I don't dislike him as a player !).

The point I was making is that the original post from @GlossopLatic said that ‘he swanned about and didn’t touch the ball’ which was simply incorrect! 

• Like 2

To be fair to Reid that's the best he's looked on Saturday since his return, it takes players time to get up to speed and matches is what he needs, he's a bit of a confidence player anyway so what's gone on has probably affected that, probably needs a goal to get going but he has it in him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

To be fair to Reid that's the best he's looked on Saturday since his return, it takes players time to get up to speed and matches is what he needs, he's a bit of a confidence player anyway so what's gone on has probably affected that, probably needs a goal to get going but he has it in him.

Hallelujah …

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

He came on Saturday swanned about didn't touch the ball and by the sounds of it has been doing the same in pre-season bearing in mind he's been kicking his heels for 8 months and the reason he was out should mean he should be trying harder than everyonelse to make an impact and come on and and prove a point I don't see that from him.

Did u go? He was all over the pitch,he looked absolutely desperate to score!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BradKnowles1 said:

436 sold really poor that for first away game. 

Yea I thought we’d sell about 6-700 and then have a few decide on the day. They’ll still be 500 or so thereabouts, so not too bad. 

8 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

436 sold really poor that for first away game. 

Probably be over 600 with POTD which is pretty decent in my opinion, we took 800 to Southend and Torquay for first game last two seasons, Wealdstone is a far shitter day out than both of those so I think what we will take is admirable.

Seen a few bits on Twatter from when we drew 1-1 with Chelsea first away game about 30 years ago in the top division, if I remember correctly the crowd was around 20,000 and we took 900 that day so 600 to a southern Leisure Centre doesn't seem too bad to me.

• Like 2