MATCH: AFC Fylde (H) 20/08/24

The games come thick and fast. 

I’d swap Hammond for Kay if he feels ready to start. The rest I’d keep the same, I do wonder about Gardner though. 

This should be a good test. They rinsed us twice last year and that Haughton is a goal machine. 

• Thanks 1

Do ya know what, i dont really care who starts. All i know is that mellon will probably get it right. First time in a long time ive got faith in a manager.

Haughton is a cheat code at this level. Keep him quiet and they seem to be a bit one dimentional. 

Think it will be our sternest test to date though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

You have to wonder why he’s still at Fylde?

Think it.might be an old fashioned case of the guy.is comfortable in his surroundings. If he can pay the mortgage and enjoy his football theres more to life than money for some

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You have to wonder why he’s still at Fylde?

From what I've been told he's the big fish in a small pond at Fylde and enjoys that, lazy in training but unbelievable ability. He wouldn't be the type of player Mellon would look at because the team would have to carry him at times.

Personally I think he's great and have said so plenty on here but I think for all that ability Haughton and Fylde must just suit each other and that happens in football, when he's on it though probably one of the best in the division given a free reign just behind the strikers and a terrific eye for goal.

16 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

FFS! We’re talking about Fylde here😂

They destroyed us twice last season and have shown already this season they will score loads. Apparently awful at the back though…

I do fancy us but it won’t be easy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

From what I've been told he's the big fish in a small pond at Fylde and enjoys that, lazy in training but unbelievable ability. He wouldn't be the type of player Mellon would look at because the team would have to carry him at times.

Personally I think he's great and have said so plenty on here but I think for all that ability Haughton and Fylde must just suit each other and that happens in football, when he's on it though probably one of the best in the division given a free reign just behind the strikers and a terrific eye for goal.

Yeah he’s a class player, and I think thats the type we are still missing to be honest but it won’t be Haughton coming in as he’d cost too much and probably wouldn’t sign anyway. He was out of contract a year or so ago and multiple EFL clubs tried to sign him and he still signed on again at Fylde. Definitely a case of him being big fish in small pond and him liking that environment, which is quite refreshing in some respects but does lack progression. Each to their own though. 

Couple of decisions for Micky with three games in six games or four in nine if you prefer to look at it like that.

Gardner physically can't start all four so wouldn't be surprised to see Lundstrum come in for him or if Khan signs maybe he'll come in to the fold given he can look after the football.

Other selection headaches would be Uchegbulam or Kitching, Ogle or Caprice and maybe Kay for Hammond. I suspect Kay will come in against his former club he just gives us that bit more bite and I'm convinced he will bag 10 this season once he's up and running.

Should be a good game, they'll be up for it from minute one and if we can match that we will be okay, couple of things we need to be wary of, they will be looking for free kicks in and around the area (shithousery) given Haughtons ability from range and we need to get tight to Haughton from the off, give him a yard or two and he will punish us. Haughton has scored five one a penalty and the other four all from outside the area.

Defensively I think they struggle in the air and there's definately goals in the game for us from set pieces I'm confident we get something if we play our game.

• Like 1

Don't change a winning team.

If Gardner needs resting, rest him for Aldershot.

Keeping the run going is important, but doing it at home particularly so.  Especially against Fylde who are probably going to be (adopts Alan Hansen accent) there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Don't change a winning team.

If Gardner needs resting, rest him for Aldershot.

Keeping the run going is important, but doing it at home particularly so.  Especially against Fylde who are probably going to be (adopts Alan Hansen accent) there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

With what I've seen from their defence Fylde will have to plug the gaps at the back to finish anywhere near the play offs, Haughton won't score 2 or 3 every week.

Another thing is that starting eleven wouldn't have won us the game yesterday it was the strength from the bench particularly Kay that allowed us to push on.

Edited by yarddog73

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

With what I've seen from their defence Fylde will have to plug the gaps at the back to finish anywhere near the play offs, Haughton won't score 2 or 3 every week.

Another thing is that starting eleven wouldn't have won us the game yesterday it was the strength from the bench particularly Kay that allowed us to push on.

I'd start Caprice for Ogle as he's more attack minded and Kay for Hammond. 

MM will probably keep the same starting line up though. 

We know Haughton is dangerous just outside the penalty area so we must close him down. 

1 minute ago, Lukers1 said:

I’m not scared of any team.

4.0 win incoming, hopefully see some of the their fans from last year giving in large and give it back to them in bucket loads.

PS, I know Danny Philliskirk has chatted to MM all week about how they line up etc….

Edited by Lukers1

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Maybe Lundstram in for Gardner to manage DG's minutes? 

Could be, Gardner looked fatigued on Saturday and was stretching a lot I noticed. 

46 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

I’m not scared of any team.

4.0 win incoming, hopefully see some of the their fans from last year giving in large and give it back to them in bucket loads.

Fans? Plural?

4 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

My first visit to BP in about 15 years. Any tips on where to park? 

Tend to park on Burnley Lane near the Rifle Range and walk up..

• Like 1