MATCH: AFC Fylde (H) 20/08/24

10 minutes ago, Handsy said:

Just read the Bowen tweets regarding something that Roy said at ht  apparently thinking the microphone was off  anyone know what he said ?

No I've been trying to find out exactly what was said, he did similar last year.

From what I'm told he was claiming a player had told him Norwood is out for another 8-10 weeks but the club wanted to keep it quiet and actually made some quite offensive comments about Andy Burnham. 

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

No I've been trying to find out exactly what was said, he did similar last year.

From what I'm told he was claiming a player had told him Norwood is out for another 8-10 weeks but the club wanted to keep it quiet and actually made some quite offensive comments about Andy Burnham. 

Yeah i’d heard it was the Norwood comments, which seems strange as looking at social media he’s playing tennis and he apparently told a fan on Tuesday his and the clubs aim is for him to make the Altrincham game. 

7 hours ago, Handsy said:

Just read the Bowen tweets regarding something that Roy said at ht  apparently thinking the microphone was off  anyone know what he said ?

He was slagging off AB saying that he took GMP into special measure and should have been sacked. That if he’d done that as a governor at Royton Hall he would have been binned so AB should have too or should have quit.

He mentioned some club stuff that I didn’t hear properly as was doing other things but did cringe thinking can you say that.

He was going on about knife crime too and a bread knife he’s had for years and pretty sure he said it’s got a right f***ing point on it. I did have to question whether I’d heard all this right at the time but now think I did.

I am surprised that nothing has been said about it by the club and was surprised the mics were on through half time.

2 hours ago, Rick6742 said:

He was slagging off AB saying that he took GMP into special measure and should have been sacked. That if he’d done that as a governor at Royton Hall he would have been binned so AB should have too or should have quit.

He mentioned some club stuff that I didn’t hear properly as was doing other things but did cringe thinking can you say that.

He was going on about knife crime too and a bread knife he’s had for years and pretty sure he said it’s got a right f***ing point on it. I did have to question whether I’d heard all this right at the time but now think I did.

I am surprised that nothing has been said about it by the club and was surprised the mics were on through half time.

Hopefully Burnham sees the funny side as I think a lot of plans the club have need his support…

3 hours ago, Rick6742 said:

Some people will laugh and say "that's just Roy", but Owen has a point really - it's really poor form from him. Volunteer or not, he needs to have a degree of professionalism about him when on the microphone (such as turning it off when he's ranting about MP's). 

I've always thought his commentary has been a difficult listen. Give him a long term ambassadorial role and get one of the injured/suspended players in on commentary with Mike Leyland...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Some people will laugh and say "that's just Roy", but Owen has a point really - it's really poor form from him. Volunteer or not, he needs to have a degree of professionalism about him when on the microphone (such as turning it off when he's ranting about MP's). 

I've always thought his commentary has been a difficult listen. Give him a long term ambassadorial role and get one of the injured/suspended players in on commentary with Mike Leyland...

Hogan can do it.

Yeah I know he's a volunteer and everything but the commentary is almost unlistenenable with Roy on, I assume fans of other clubs will have our commentary at times too? 

I'm sure there's other things the club can have him doing, but when I'm paying a tenner a go I expect better tbh

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Yeah I know he's a volunteer and everything but the commentary is almost unlistenenable with Roy on, I assume fans of other clubs will have our commentary at times too? 

I'm sure there's other things the club can have him doing, but when I'm paying a tenner a go I expect better tbh

Yes when they talk about the new found professionalism around the place it appears it's another thing they've took their eye off, probably because they don't have to suffer it. I don't think it's disrespectful to suggest he needs replacing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, daniel said:

Yeah i’d heard it was the Norwood comments, which seems strange as looking at social media he’s playing tennis and he apparently told a fan on Tuesday his and the clubs aim is for him to make the Altrincham game. 

Sounds to me he could have been told Norwood would be out for 8-10 weeks from the start of his injury, but misheard it as from now? 

We will soon know I expect. 

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Sounds to me he could have been told Norwood would be out for 8-10 weeks from the start of his injury, but misheard it as from now? 

Yeah that seems to be correct, he got injured early July and is expecting to be back for Alty 

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He is back training on grass so I’ve read 👍

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Roy needs to go, he is a waiting mistake and it looks like that mistake could have happened. 

His commentary and input is generally terrible. 

Though I respect his commitment to the club. 

Respect to the man for his loyalty and past achievements but he should have retired a long time ago. Commentary on games needs to be sharp and slick..not confusing, rambling and ten seconds behind the play. It's a big fail by the club for not recognising the importance of this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Respect to the man for his loyalty and past achievements but he should have retired a long time ago. Commentary on games needs to be sharp and slick..not confusing, rambling and ten seconds behind the play. It's a big fail by the club for not recognising the importance of this.

Agree. 

Keep the main commentator as is and have a guest which varies, such as injured players ect. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wardie said:

He has a really irritating habit of talking over the main commentator when he's making a point too. 

Like you say, no disrespect to the man, but there should be a degree of professionalism there, especially keeping in mind that fans of other clubs will be hearing the same commentary 

• Like 1

I tend to only hear it when I’m watching nltv and it’s confusing enough. It must be impossible to follow what’s happening if you’re audio only, no picture. Mike Leyland back on main commentary is a good move but Roy just confuses matters. 

Given his amazing service to the club I don’t like being critical of him and he’s not the only issue either. The location and height of the camera is about as tinpot as it gets, there can’t be many worse in the league. And the picture quality and camera operation is awful. It’s unwatchable at times. 

9 hours ago, Rick6742 said:

He's managed to cover quite a few topics in a short space of time there.  Fair play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I tend to only hear it when I’m watching nltv and it’s confusing enough. It must be impossible to follow what’s happening if you’re audio only, no picture. Mike Leyland back on main commentary is a good move but Roy just confuses matters. 

Given his amazing service to the club I don’t like being critical of him and he’s not the only issue either. The location and height of the camera is about as tinpot as it gets, there can’t be many worse in the league. And the picture quality and camera operation is awful. It’s unwatchable at times. 

I was Wondering if when we are going to put a new tv gantry in place surely we could do it in the North Stand it does look crappy from where it is. 

As for Roy yeah time to retire he's doddery surely they can get a guest current player or a local ex player to do it alongside Mike mix it up if you like.

11 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

got to agree. my housemate the other day kept luaghing at him and asked 'why does that man sound like postman pat?'

🤣

8 hours ago, JoeP said:

He's managed to cover quite a few topics in a short space of time there.  Fair play.

We like to talk us Oldhamers, to be fair he had 15 mins and didn’t give the rest much chance to get a word in. 😂

Guest O.A.F.C.
3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

got to agree. my housemate the other day kept luaghing at him and asked 'why does that man sound like postman pat?'

🤣

He's a mixture of Postman Pat and Joe Biden