MATCH: AFC Fylde (H) 20/08/24

Still short of having a team that can make the play-offs, methinks. Norwood isn't going to be back up and running until late Oct- early Nov. Beyond Jes on the left, we're light. Kitching has fallen off, badly. 

We've already seen signs of our lack of depth tonight. Conlon out of the team and we miss him dearly. Teams around us are signing players left and right... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

We are one point better off this season after our first two home matches 

Weird take on things, after three games we have seven points, we had the same after eight games last season.

6 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Didn’t do anywhere near enough to win. Solid, well drilled, neat and tidy but offer very little now for 180 mins. 

Jez got lot of ball, did ok at best. Created nowt of note first half for all his runs and crosses. Losing a half at home and not hitting target is pretty rank. No driving midfield play, too much slow sidewards play. Haven’t lost and 7 from 9 without Norwood and garner is decent but still lacking width and creativity. Need to improve a fair bit going forward. Kitchings performance once on was terrible 

Much safer and solid at the back which was good to see but it was rather pedestrian beyond that. We need our full forward line back ASAP. I feel we would have won this with Norwood and Conlon in the side. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Weird take on things, after three games we have seven points, we had the same after eight games last season.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Jez had their No 2 on toast first half, I'm not sure what game you were watching, he does fade but Kitching has looked fucking awful coming off the bench so I'm pretty sure he's not the answer, looks like he's seen his arse again and the quicker he and Reid are shown the door probably the better because they frankly don't look arsed, what was that hoof he did late, he needs to have a word with himself.

As for the rest Hudson frustrated me tonight, he's been far more positive this season but was slowing us down 1st half, back to his usual not seeing the overload when their attack breaks down and allowing teams to reset, we didn’t need to give Fylde a breather as we were fitter and stronger, on one occasion we had three men down the left on a quick turnover and he kept hold of it till Fylde regrouped and reset, then put it out there 30 seconds later.

Back three generally did well, they had more joy when they were more positive as shown by Monthe' goal, thought Caprice struggled to get in the game, I expected more but it's early days for him.

In midfield Gardner showed some nice touches but his dead balls were awful, he must of hit the first man half a dozen times and over hit the other half, they had real problems defending and our set pieces were generally a waste of time.

I thought Lundstrum grew in to the game, needs a pair of balls when the balls in the air as he's reluctant to even compete but he's getting there, when he's looking forward and positive he's a decent player.

Charsley probably my man of the match, relentless in the role he's playing he was everywhere and he gets better every time I see him, Kay was disappointing for me offered little and dropped off too deep on a number of occasions I'd have pulled him st halftime as he hardly effected the game, he can't play in that role and offer so little support to the lone forward. 

Fondop was poor tonight, I've sung his praises lately but he did very little tonight, I know he was basically assaulted everytime the ball went up to him but his link up play was poor.

Of the subs Ogle did well, more physical than Caprice, Hammond did okay and Kitching can get in the bin, I honestly think he's playing shit on purpose because he's shown his old form when he started pre season only to look like a complete raffle winner the last two games.

Missed Conlons quality on the dead ball, thought we could have been a bit braver, absolute schoolboy error for their goal but we kept going and deserved all three points.

As for the officials that game was too big for the ref and the linesman on the Joe Royle side, blatant offside in the lead up to the corner for their goal, liner was 2 foot away from where he needed to be and two men were clearly off, he also flagged Fondop off when they had three men playing him on, his decision making was actually unbelievable, ref made the game about him which is a shame, their No 11 must have made half a dozen fouls alone without so much as a word and I've got to say you'd struggle to find a more incompetent performance, we need strong refs who can see through the shithousery teams like Fylde display.

As for them they were fucking awful from minute one, a very first at BP a team who time wasted from minute one and they deserved fuck all, stole a point really because we went asleep, particularly against Fylde who only score from outside the box can we give one man do much space, criminal really.

Game we would have lost 12 month ago, we can't afford to be letting two points slip at home like that too often this season, although I'm satisfied with 7 points from 9 and sitting 4th.

Winnable game weekend and a chance to put it right.

A good post.

Perhaps a bit harsh on Hudson's distribution - I don't think the options were available in the way they were against Braintree.  Teams are going to start getting wise to Jes and will double up on him from the start, which is going to make quick breakaways more difficult (unless we sign someone as tricky and pacey on the other wing).

The signings have made us a different team.  Monthe isn't just a unit, he's quick and - now we know - has a shot him.

The ref was a joke - it started with the Hudson obstruction, which I think he knows should have been a booking after the moment had passed and tried to even in out by not giving Fylde anything when they tried to "win" fouls (which, in the modern game, probably actually should've been given) and then tried evening back the other way.  He lost control, basically.

Fylde are a horrible little club.  Their shithousery tonight was on another level.  Their keeper taking Raglan out and then, after seeing he was injured, decided to go down as well to suggest a "clash", rather than a foul was the piece de resistance.

I said at half-time I'd take a point now.  We'd have definitely lost that last season..

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

So we’re better? Yes. 

Did we have 7 points after 9 last season? No. 

Did we have 3 performances in a row in the entire of last season that the same consistent desire, workrate, pressing, tempo? No. 

It’s early days- but if the first three performances are anything to go by, we’ll comfortably be in the playoffs and pushing top 3. Which, as you’ll know would be miles better than last season. 

Guest O.A.F.C.
2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

True, its aimed at leagueoneforever saying 'we would have lost that last season' after every home match 

Just now, GKing521 said:

Still short of having a team that can make the play-offs, methinks. Norwood isn't going to be back up and running until late Oct- early Nov. Beyond Jes on the left, we're light. Kitching has fallen off, badly. 

We've already seen signs of our lack of depth tonight. Conlon out of the team and we miss him dearly. Teams around us are signing players left and right... 

Please stop talking shite, we are 4th in the League, missing arguably two or three of our best players and could quite easily have nine points on the board, give it a fucking rest will you, your tedious trolling and desperation for us to fail is just weird from a so called fan.

• Like 9

Guest O.A.F.C.
Just now, League one forever said:

Quite. 

OAFC and Paddy seem convinced this is no better than last season. Bizarre. 

Still a long way to go before we can make that conclusion 

1 minute ago, O.A.F.C. said:

True, its aimed at leagueoneforever saying 'we would have lost that last season' after every home match 

I've said the same tonight and I believe it to be true, of course it will get thrown about a bit but I think we've got a bit of character now that we've lacked in the past.

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

Champions win those games. We just aren't there yet. Fylde will be nowhere near, they were dreadful. 

Still, unbeaten... but we really should be winning these kind of games. Disappointing and two points well and truly dropped. Need to beat Aldershot.

When we were last Champions, we lost at home to Hull City who finished bottom of the league..

• Like 3

1 minute ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Still a long way to go before we can make that conclusion 

Nope. 

I’ve just given you 3 very tangible differences from the first 3 games of this season to last. 

If you want stick your head in the sand, and say black is white. Then go nuts. 

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I've said the same tonight and I believe it to be true, of course it will get thrown about a bit but I think we've got a bit of character now that we've lacked in the past.

We can’t have Yardy. 

Because going unbeaten, bettering your points tally, and not losing to sides who turned us over last season doesn’t count. 

16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Or another way of looking at it. It took us until 8 games to get to 7 points last season this season we've done it in 3.

There we go with that pesky context again.

that shit is banned in these parts!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Didn’t do anywhere near enough to win. Solid, well drilled, neat and tidy but offer very little now for 180 mins. 

Jez got lot of ball, did ok at best. Created nowt of note first half for all his runs and crosses. Losing a half at home and not hitting target is pretty rank. No driving midfield play, too much slow sidewards play. Haven’t lost and 7 from 9 without Norwood and garner is decent but still lacking width and creativity. Need to improve a fair bit going forward. Kitchings performance once on was terrible 

Lacking width? Wholeheartedly disagree with that! We are using wide players really well. Need better balls and (for all I have a soft spot for Fondop) a striker on the pitch getting himself into dangerous posititons to get on the end of balls 

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

You'll have to point out where I've said that one, please...

Sure.

‘Braintree are the worst side we’ll ever play.’ (Which implies it’s no big deal, and we should be hammering them) 

Trouble is- We lost to two relegated sides at home last year, and Hendon who I think play park football. 

We have been woeful at beating (or at the very least not losing) to sides ‘we should hammer.’ So far, this is much improved. 

21 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Please stop talking shite, we are 4th in the League, missing arguably two or three of our best players and could quite easily have nine points on the board, give it a fucking rest will you, your tedious trolling and desperation for us to fail is just weird from a so called fan.

No desperation to fail here. Desperation to win and get back to the Football League.

• Like 1

I thought we dominated the game tonight. Biggest problem first half was when we are trying to play out from the back. We passed out of their high and fast press really well but then once we was free to then start to either play through the middle of the pitch or drive with the ball we then tried going for the hail Mary pass. Unfortunately in the first half the pitch was fast and the ball didn't hold up for any long balls/ diagonals. Consequently nearly every attack being toothless. The only real joy first half was with Jes on the left.

I thought the defence looked solid all night especially Raglan. Smart corner routine undone us. Fylde threatend on the counter had more of the ball first half than second.They are an aggressive pressing team with a few well drilled phases of play in them.

I thought Lundstrum showed glimpses of quality but needs to want the ball more.

Overall solid foundations are in place with a certain style of play which needs sprinkles of quality with decision making and confidence to take the positive action more often.

Keep playing like that tonight and I can't see us not reaching the play offs at a minimum.

• Like 2