MATCH: AFC Fylde (H) 20/08/24

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Jez had their No 2 on toast first half, I'm not sure what game you were watching, he does fade but Kitching has looked fucking awful coming off the bench so I'm pretty sure he's not the answer, looks like he's seen his arse again and the quicker he and Reid are shown the door probably the better because they frankly don't look arsed, what was that hoof he did late, he needs to have a word with himself.

As for the rest Hudson frustrated me tonight, he's been far more positive this season but was slowing us down 1st half, back to his usual not seeing the overload when their attack breaks down and allowing teams to reset, we didn’t need to give Fylde a breather as we were fitter and stronger, on one occasion we had three men down the left on a quick turnover and he kept hold of it till Fylde regrouped and reset, then put it out there 30 seconds later.

Back three generally did well, they had more joy when they were more positive as shown by Monthe' goal, thought Caprice struggled to get in the game, I expected more but it's early days for him.

In midfield Gardner showed some nice touches but his dead balls were awful, he must of hit the first man half a dozen times and over hit the other half, they had real problems defending and our set pieces were generally a waste of time.

I thought Lundstrum grew in to the game, needs a pair of balls when the balls in the air as he's reluctant to even compete but he's getting there, when he's looking forward and positive he's a decent player.

Charsley probably my man of the match, relentless in the role he's playing he was everywhere and he gets better every time I see him, Kay was disappointing for me offered little and dropped off too deep on a number of occasions I'd have pulled him at halftime as he hardly effected the game, he can't play in that role and offer so little support to the lone forward. 

Fondop was poor tonight, I've sung his praises lately but he did very little, I know he was basically assaulted everytime the ball went up to him but his link up play was poor.

Of the subs Ogle did well, more physical than Caprice, Hammond did okay and Kitching can get in the bin, I honestly think he's playing shit on purpose because he's shown his old form when he started pre season only to look like a complete raffle winner the last two games.

Missed Conlons quality on the dead ball, thought we could have been a bit braver, absolute schoolboy error for their goal but we kept going and deserved all three points.

As for the officials that game was too big for the ref and the linesman on the Joe Royle side, blatant offside in the lead up to the corner for their goal, liner was 2 foot away from where he needed to be and two men were clearly off, he also flagged Fondop off when they had three men playing him on, his decision making was actually unbelievable, ref made the game about him which is a shame, their No 11 must have made half a dozen fouls alone without so much as a word and I've got to say you'd struggle to find a more incompetent performance, we need strong refs who can see through the shithousery teams like Fylde display.

As for them they were fucking awful from minute one, a very first at BP a team who time wasted from minute one and they deserved fuck all, stole a point really because we went asleep, particularly against Fylde who only score from outside the box can we give one man so much space, criminal really.

Game we would have lost 12 month ago, we can't afford to be letting two points slip at home like that too often this season, although I'm satisfied with 7 points from 9 and sitting 4th.

Winnable game weekend and a chance to put it right.

Absolutely spot on again for me . 

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

Sure.

‘Braintree are the worst side we’ll ever play.’ (Which implies it’s no big deal, and we should be hammering them) 

Trouble is- We lost to two relegated sides at home last year, and Hendon who I think play park football. 

We have been woeful at beating (or at the very least not losing) to sides ‘we should hammer.’ So far, this is much improved. 

And yet none of that is me saying we are no better last season.

Braintree are the worst side we've faced at NL level - only team remotely comparable are the Oxford City side we dispatched 4-0 last season...

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

I explained it the other day in great detail. You said it’s absolute bullshit. Which is fine. Unfortunately all the facts prove me right. 

Don't worry, yarddog73 has your back, see above.

'Game we would have lost 12 month ago"

We look a decent side from what I have seen. Clear patterns of play but we are missing a bit of quality. 

Some players screaming at Fondop for his lack of movement. Missing a proper number 10 with quality, but they will also need to work hard. 

We missed Conlon massively. 

5 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Interesting interview with Beech   

That really is an interesting interview.

They took us apart last season easily both times (admittedly we were shit) but there's definitely an understanding from opposition managers that we're a different proposition this time around and that teams need to set up accordingly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

And yet none of that is me saying we are no better last season.

Braintree are the worst side we've faced at NL level - only team remotely comparable are the Oxford City side we dispatched 4-0 last season...

And yet you are. 

We lost two relegated sides they are comparable to Braintree because- er they got relegated. Which is what you predict will happen to Braintree. 

You then asked me last night to pin point where we lost a similar fixture last season- er. . . the same fixture. . . 

Continuing question the improvement is exactly what you’re doing. But hey ho. 

Edited by League one forever

55 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

That really is an interesting interview.

They took us apart last season easily both times (admittedly we were shit) but there's definitely an understanding from opposition managers that we're a different proposition this time around and that teams need to set up accordingly.

No they don’t Bosh. We play exactly like we did last season to some. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

First half sounded like we were dominant.

Subs pretty uninspiring, highlighting lack of depth.

Reid situation remains one of the most bizarre I've seen in football.

Saying we'd have lost that last season is opinion not fact.

7 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Just because we lost to Fylde last season doesn't mean that the game last night is the type of game we would definitely have lost last season...

It doesn't but it's a valid opinion that some of our fans are strangely taking offence to, you keep referencing Braintree as some sort of relegation benchmark when you haven't a clue after three games whether they'll go down or not, we all thought a point at Torquay was decent a couple of years ago from a team who were quietly fancied yet they got relegated with games to spare. By all accounts Braintree were unlucky at the weekend against Yeovil and had a decent win last night against Aldershot. 

To suggest we may have lost that last season isn't unreasonable, watch Chris Beech' post match interview if you want any evidence on how our current squad is being viewed.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Saying we'd have lost that last season is opinion not fact.

Well yes of course it is. 

The point being made though is that we lacked the ability to truely dominate games and get ourselves back into it like we did last night. 

Take our first Tuesday night home match from the two seasons before this one and say Kidderminster at home from the Mellon era. Lost all those games after getting back into them, but lacked any sort of control at any point. Last night was different because we did control it... and managed to break down a team that was happy to sit in. 

It's positive at the moment. 

• Like 1

By comparing to last season League One was trying to say we are a better side this year, so basically making a positive comment.

Why are people having a go at him in such a petty manner?

As we are definitely doing better than last season , let's all get on board and bask in it for a while and not nit-pick at the examples League One used.

• Like 2

Enjoyed it again last night. Everyone can see it's like chalk and cheese compared to last season; so credit to MM for that. Fylde were ordinary but did look dangerous at times. 

We should be beating them at home and we do need an option up front as we are one dimensional there presently.

Massively impressed with Monthe; MoM in both home games for me. IF we can sort out up front QUICKLY we'll continue to pick up wins. If not, I think we'll stutter a bit. We're certainly not going to concede many if that defence stays free of injury but I can see a few draws coming up if we don't sort out the firepower.

It's good to watch though, so get yourselves down to BP if you can.

Edited by spanishfly
  • Like 1

The way we play is a huge improvement and is actually enjoyable to watch currently. We could be better, but it’s a much more enjoyable watch than the constant pumping the ball blindly into a channel that we have been use to. 

We play a lot of diagonal balls to the wide full backs from the back line, which is fine. But we need a bit more quality in the middle of the park. 

I thought Kay was poor. 

25 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

By comparing to last season League One was trying to say we are a better side this year, so basically making a positive comment.

Why are people having a go at him in such a petty manner?

As we are definitely doing better than last season , let's all get on board and bask in it for a while and not nit-pick at the examples League One used.

Chris Beech after the game. 

‘Oldham are a different side this season, if that game was last season we go on to win it.’

MM after the game, when asked how it compares to playing them last season. 

Flyde we’re much better than us last season, everyone keeps saying we should be better, well look at that game’ Then in the home game we lost our way, but we never looked liked that today’ 

I think both managers and the vast majority of fans can see we’re a much improved outfit. 

20 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The way we play is a huge improvement and is actually enjoyable to watch currently. We could be better, but it’s a much more enjoyable watch than the constant pumping the ball blindly into a channel that we have been use to. 

Definitely.

It’s also very noticeable how supportive the crowd are when the team show consistent desire, tempo, and try to play. 

Just now, League one forever said:

Definitely.

It’s also very noticeable how supportive the crowd are when the team show consistent desire, tempo, and try to play. 

When they scored there wasn't the collective groan of "here we go again" from the crowd.

We all felt we could get back in it , which was unheard of last year. 

I know it's early days and there will be times when it doesn't happen but if the belief is there then it can only help.

Also the atmosphere was great and you could see the clapping of the players being substituted made them feel appreciated and if they feel that then hopefully they play better for you and so it all added to the positive mood.... so far :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

When they scored there wasn't the collective groan of "here we go again" from the crowd.

We all felt we could get back in it , which was unheard of last year. 

I know it's early days and there will be times when it doesn't happen but if the belief is there then it can only help.

Also the atmosphere was great and you could see the clapping of the players being substituted made them feel appreciated and if they feel that then hopefully they play better for you and so it all added to the positive mood.... so far :)

Yeah, when the goal went in. The crowd just went quiet for 30 seconds- I think we all felt it was a sucker punch and against the run of play. But the athleticos got everyone going again- and we finished the half positively. 

The players will always control how the crowd reacts. 

We played well last night, nowt flash and, really, it needed a bit of extra quality to put Fylde away, although we shouldn't forget we very nearly lost it at the end there.

From what I've seen (both home games on the tele), we're noticeably better in all respects of our game, both as individuals and as a team, as compared to last year. There is more control, speed and unity in how we're playing, and while all that is very good and I'm confident we'll get better, there is already a weakness in who we can field up top. Like many others, I like Fondop but he isn't a starter in a side looking for promotion.