MATCH: Aldershot Town (A) 24/08/24

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Don't think we have any choice but to utilise Garner, can't imagine anybody coming in for him.

Rumours of Stones, we drew up a contract for Matt Smith (I think..) - there must be some budget to bring someone else in.

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Ironically, dominated by a centre back who I recommended when he was looking to find a club after moving to this country from Australia, but not followed up. 

Dont know what game you watched if you think Fondop was dominated by Byrd , Fondop was marked by the better of the two centre backs newly signed Christian Maghoma.

Edited by penrhyn
typo
  • Like 1

Let's face it Norwood is going to score in this team we didn't control games or create enough chances last season and he still bagged 17. In this team he scores regularly. Garner will score too and if we bring Stones in he will find us goals too. Plus we can rotate them so we will have a greater chance of keeping them fit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

OK, I'll spell it out for you as you appear to be having difficulty understanding what others are posting, and indeed your own posts.

You said "some of the opinions expressed, on the back of scant evidence, are nothing short of embarrassing" (my emphasis). I pointed out that while few if any people, other than in your fevered imagination, have already claimed we are going up, you have made that statement, 4 games into the season. You are either being deliberately obtuse, or hypocritical (or both).

You say there has been no criticism of the team from you, another remarkable claim, given that you cannot wait to complain and moan about something, either on or off the pitch.

I have not uttered a single word of criticism about the team this season. And that isn’t my fevered imagination. 

Edited by AndyB2

Three good performances, one poorer one. It happens.

Really hope MM doesn't make some of the kneejerk changes people here are suggesting. Three competent centre-halves and two high and wide wing-backs has looked better than anything else we've tried for ages...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, deckyd said:

Sometimes think everyone watches a different game! We were In control of the game  when our own mistake cost us the first goal.  The second, scrappy header and got caught on ball, another mistake.  The third we were chasing game and counter, fourth likewise.  

Don't think the midfield had a great second half but the subs killed the game for us, wouldn't say it was midfield or back three in particular that were problematic today, more so chasing game. 

To me, Aldershot were decent and up for it clearly but thier joy came from balls into channels and turning us other than that, we created our own problems! 

Yep agree. 

You really need to be at the game to give a fair viewpoint. 

Aldershot had 4 shots at goal and scored 4 goals.

Goals 1, 2 and 4 were given away by us. Their 3rd was a good goal.

Mikey should have scored 60 seconds before their first goal, which was difficult to see but looked really sloppy at the back.

Lindstrom made a real howler giving the ball away 40 yds from our goal. He should have just passed/cleared it instead of doing his trademark turn back inside onto his better foot. This changed the game and prompted the subs..

We pulled one back quickly with good work from Ogle who was our best player and most creative by miles.

Their keeper made 4 or 5 decent saves. I can't remember Hudson making one.

In a nutshell we coped pretty well and we're well in control for most of the game before going 3-1 down. Individual mistakes and poor finishing cost us.

On Ballance a draw would have been a fair result, but if you don't take your chances and make mistakes you will lose more than you win. 

Also each substitution made us worse which does not bode well.

Really disappointing result which we need to not let happen again but so much better than some of the horror shows last season ....apart from the errors and poor finishing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Disappointing away following considering the positive start to the season, shows people are boycotting away games as well as home 

I’d ignore that away confirmation. Guy on the turnstile scanned 1 of my 3 tickets because it wasn’t working properly. Looked far more than 300 to me.  

Not much in it the first half. Conlon looked tidy. Charsley was a passenger. Their goal seemed to come a little bit out of the blue, about 90 seconds after Fondop should have scored.

2nd half thought we were pretty abysmal. Poor defensive mistakes, midfield unable to keep the ball (unsure why Hammond got on the pitch before Gardner), and once again impotent up front. Conlon's booking killed him in the game and he became a passenger for 35 minutes. The only positive comment I can make about that dope up front is that, when Reid came on, he wasn't much better.

Like I said in an earlier post, our first major test and we've failed it miserably. A quick turnaround gives them a great chance to get back on track on Monday...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, daniel said:

I’d ignore that away confirmation. Guy on the turnstile scanned 1 of my 3 tickets because it wasn’t working properly. Looked far more than 300 to me.  

Yep agree. 450-500. Very odd attendance quoted..2400 with 300 away? 2.8/9k there at least id say. 

Nobody wins the league in August, but you can lose touch if you are not careful. Win on Monday and I would say this is a solid start that puts you in amongst it. 

Oh, and plenty of good sides will lose at Aldershot this season. They are no mugs.

9 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Agree. Saying Aldershot were by far the better team and wanted it more is just a load of bollocks. Ask anyone who actually attended.

Somewhat Disagree. And I actually attended today…

We were the better side (just) first half but created very little. The midfield were slow to join the attack, leaving Fondop isolated. The chance Mikey had from Ogle’s cross was a difficult one but a better striker would have scored.

Other than that chance, one or two Ogle crosses and the Jez header we posed very little threat in the first half.

Aldershot upped the tempo second half and we could not cope with their movement and pace. 

By the end we were well beaten and Aldershot were the better team. And yet it could have been closer if Kay and Lundstram had done better with their efforts. 

The second half performance today was very poor - shades of last season.

We need a creative midfielder to play the number 10 role and a striker to be in place to hit the target.

Hopefully Dolan and Norwood will be those two.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

The Fondop chance didn't look as clear cut as is being made out. Would've been a great finish had he have pulled it off. The Jez header looked a better one.

Interested in seeing the Fondop chance again because I thought he should have buried it. Big moments like that in the game went against us today and could have been a different story. Overall disappointed though, too many players had an off day. The worry is that Aldershot have provided the blue print on how to attack us, because they exposed us today with their fast counter attacking football. 

• Like 2

I’m not the biggest fan of Fondop, quite the opposite tbh. I think he’s shite. 

However on first viewing via a stream the chance didn’t seem an easy one really, certainly not a sitter by any means. 

Maybe I need a 2nd look…

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Yep agree. 450-500. Very odd attendance quoted..2400 with 300 away? 2.8/9k there at least id say. 

I dunno about that. The away end was definitely lower on numbers than it was last year. Two big flags at the front of the stand meant that the bulk of the following was all from the middle to the top of the stand. We also had the open end last season, nobody in there today. I'd say 300 is about right...

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Agree. Saying Aldershot were by far the better team and wanted it more is just a load of bollocks. Ask anyone who actually attended.

I see both sides, not through rose tinted glasses. The back 3 couldn't cope with being run at, albeit let down by a weak midfield. 

Only Ogle came out with any credit. 

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I see both sides, not through rose tinted glasses. The back 3 couldn't cope with being run at, albeit let down by a weak midfield. 

Only Ogle came out with any credit. 

Did you go?

Guest O.A.F.C.
9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Did you go?

You don't need to go to watch the game these days...

Guest O.A.F.C.
56 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I dunno about that. The away end was definitely lower on numbers than it was last year. Two big flags at the front of the stand meant that the bulk of the following was all from the middle to the top of the stand. We also had the open end last season, nobody in there today. I'd say 300 is about right...

We only had just over 400 last season, was the side terrace shut?