MATCH: Aldershot Town (A) 24/08/24

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Hopefully, Dolan will change this, but if I see him playing deep it will confirm to me the club mentality mentioned. 

We need a creative midfielder to play the number 10 role and a striker to be in place to hit the target.

Dolan and Norwood will do nicely 😃

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

6 on target scoring 1 - they were far more clinical 

Where is that from? I got 9 from a screenshot of stats someone put on Twitter but I can’t find anything myself. 

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

We need a creative midfielder to play the number 10 role and a striker to be in place to hit the target.

Dolan and Norwood will do nicely 😃

If they are allowed to play those roles.

MM will have noticed Dolan was asked to play a holding role at Fleetwood and just might do the same here. 

Hope not. 

Edited by BP1960

10 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Three good performances? I'd only class Braintree as a good performance.  The rest have been average. 

I'll take "average" performances if we average two points per game from them...

Edited by OneSizeFitz

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If they are allowed to play those roles.

MM will have noticed Dolan was asked to play a holding role at Fleetwood and just might do the same here. 

Hope not. 

He’d better bloody not!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

The scoreline doesn't really reflect the game.

Not at all. If you showed someone that full game but just removed the goals and said it ended 0-0 I think most people would have said we were the better team and deserved to win. 

I watched it this morning in full and didn’t really see a performance that much different to our other games. It’s just this time we were heavily punished for missing chances. Fondop had a relatively straightforward one just before their first. Kay had chances. Uchegbulam should have scored with a header. I thought we maybe should have had a penalty for a pull on Raglan at a corner. And there were plenty of other times we got into great areas but didn’t do anything. 

A couple of our players maybe were not quite as on it as in previous games but I didn’t see many bad individual performances. 

I really like the look of Lundstram this season, he’s far more positive. Ironically it was being positive that got him in trouble for their 2nd. Last season he’d have tapped it back to the thrower or gone back to the keeper. Yesterday he tried to turn his man and run forward but got caught. But it didn’t seem to knock his confidence, he was doing maradona turns later and getting forward to have a shot. That’s a big positive. 

We were sloppy up front when not taking chances and we were sloppy at the back when chasing the game. If we bring Norwood, Garner and Dolan into that squad we improve our forward line massively. How many other teams in this league would cope well if you took their 2 best forwards out of their squads?

Even off the back of a big defeat, that was a lot different to anything we saw last season. Some fans have either totally shit the bed or are so eager to be proved right about certain players, the manager or the tactics, they have gone massively overboard when it comes to describing yesterday. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Looks like they had 5 shots on target and scored 4. Hudson made a good save just before the hand ball so presume that was his 1 other save. 

We had 9 shots on target. Sums up the game really. 

Exactly....

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Not at all. If you showed someone that full game but just removed the goals and said it ended 0-0 I think most people would have said we were the better team and deserved to win. 

I watched it this morning in full and didn’t really see a performance that much different to our other games. It’s just this time we were heavily punished for missing chances. Fondop had a relatively straightforward one just before their first. Kay had chances. Uchegbulam should have scored with a header. I thought we maybe should have had a penalty for a pull on Raglan at a corner. And there were plenty of other times we got into great areas but didn’t do anything. 

A couple of our players maybe were not quite as on it as in previous games but I didn’t see many bad individual performances. 

I really like the look of Lundstram this season, he’s far more positive. Ironically it was being positive that got him in trouble for their 2nd. Last season he’d have tapped it back to the thrower or gone back to the keeper. Yesterday he tried to turn his man and run forward but got caught. But it didn’t seem to knock his confidence, he was doing maradona turns later and getting forward to have a shot. That’s a big positive. 

We were sloppy up front when not taking chances and we were sloppy at the back when chasing the game. If we bring Norwood, Garner and Dolan into that squad we improve our forward line massively. How many other teams in this league would cope well if you took their 2 best forwards out of their squads?

Even off the back of a big defeat, that was a lot different to anything we saw last season. Some fans have either totally shit the bed or are so eager to be proved right about certain players, the manager or the tactics, they have gone massively overboard when it comes to describing yesterday. 

There's also a desperation from some who worship at the altar of Saint Micky to completely absolve him from blame from anything...

I didn't follow the match yesterday apart from knowing the result.

I have just binge read the comments on here and what a roller coaster ride that is!!! :)

It sounds like we played well in the first half, ok in the second but a decent looking Aldershot edged it with being more clinical in scoring the goals. No embarrassing collapse just that they were better on the day.

Plenty of people on here (who probably actually went to the game) acknowledged that and so I am not too worried about a meltdown just yet.

I think though we have players in who it will bother them when we lose and so all you can do is hope for a response on Monday.

Can we not put too much pressure on Dolan, for what it's worth I think he will probably only bring Gardner back in for Lundstrum and maybe Caprice for Uchegbulam other than that I can't see too much being changed. Norwood and Dolan on the bench if needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

There's also a desperation from some who worship at the altar of Saint Micky to completely absolve him from blame from anything...

That's a weird take on things, only person desperate is you for him to fail the rest of us are hoping the team recovers rather than frothing at the mouth like you appear to be for us to fail.

What do you want Mellon to do, he came out apologised, protected the players quite well, asked the fans to stick with it and gave a perfectly balanced interview on the back of a disappointing defeat, it won't be the last time he has to do that this season either.

We know you want him to fail, nobody else is looking to blame anybody really other than to say it was a bad day at the office on top of some quite encouraging performances, I can't see what Mellon needs blaming for here as the reason we were beat as it didn't quite click on the field of play, we remained positive till the end (probably too positive at times), he brought on Reid which you've criticised him for not doing but it just didn't happen for us, it happens and we move on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

That's a weird take on things, only person desperate is you for him to fail the rest of us are hoping the team recovers rather than frothing at the mouth like you appear to be for us to fail.

What do you want Mellon to do, he came out apologised, protected the players quite well, asked the fans to stick with it and gave a perfectly balanced interview on the back of a disappointing defeat, it won't be the last time he has to do that this season either.

We know you want him to fail, nobody else is looking to blame anybody really other than to say it was a bad day at the office on top of some quite encouraging performances, I can't see what Mellon needs blaming for here as the reason we were beat as it didn't quite click on the field of play, we remained positive till the end (probably too positive at times), he brought on Reid which you've criticised him for not doing but it just didn't happen for us, it happens and we move on.

Yesterday wasn't a one off though, it has been a recurring theme of the calendar year...

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I don't think that's the case at all. Most expect much better from him this season.

There's some that are desperate for him to fail though. 

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I don't think that's the case at all. Most expect much better from him this season.

There's some that are desperate for him to fail though. 

Only thing I'm desperate for is for him to prove me wrong.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Yesterday wasn't a one off though, it has been a recurring theme of the calendar year...

As in we lose games of football, name me a team that hasn't lost this calendar year then.

Do you really think we won't get turned over this season, Chesterfield had four put past them against Dorking, Halifax, three against Kidderminster and lost at Wealdstone, there are no gimme's in this division and if it's not your day that's what happens. 

I'm still struggling to understand what more you think Mellon could have done yesterday.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

As in we lose games of football, name me a team that hasn't lost this calendar year then.

Do you really think we won't get turned over this season, Chesterfield had four put past them against Dorking, Halifax, three against Kidderminster and lost at Wealdstone, there are no gimme's in this division and if it's not your day that's what happens. 

I'm still struggling to understand what more you think Mellon could have done yesterday.

If we played as well as the spin doctors are saying then why is he apologising?

He seems to be very conscious of what fans are saying which doesn't strike me as a guy confident in the job he is doing.

32 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Hi how did you rewatch the game thanks

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Chesterfield lost those games when about a million points clear and could afford the drop in points.

I think yesterday was on Mellon - Widdrington sussed out how to play against us and we didn't have an answer to it. Every single sub was a "like for like" change and did nothing to alter the course of the game...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

The scoreline doesn't really reflect the game.

We were comfortably 2nd best in that second half and our performance was bad enough that our manager deemed fit to issue a public apology to the travelling supporters...

37 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Poor counter-argument. 

13 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Chesterfield lost those games when about a million points clear and could afford the drop in points.

I think yesterday was on Mellon - Widdrington sussed out how to play against us and we didn't have an answer to it. Every single sub was a "like for like" change and did nothing to alter the course of the game...

I thought Aldershot were a good team but I don’t see how they “sussed out how to play against us”. Had we taken our chances we’d have been ahead and not open to the counter attack. Had we struggled to create anything I think you’d have more of a point. 

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I thought Aldershot were a good team but I don’t see how they “sussed out how to play against us”. Had we taken our chances we’d have been ahead and not open to the counter attack. Had we struggled to create anything I think you’d have more of a point. 

They found a way of getting in behind us on numerous occasions down either flanks, found pockets between defence and midfield and didn't allow Monthe to break out from the back. I'd say he sussed us out...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They found a way of getting in behind us on numerous occasions down either flanks, found pockets between defence and midfield and didn't allow Monthe to break out from the back. I'd say he sussed us out...

I'd say individual errors cost us in both boxes, at 2-1 we were still right in the game despite playing poorly, after that we were exposed because we went after the game and lost our solidity. 

First goal we probably had three opportunities to clear it, second Lundstrum left us exposed losing the ball in a key area, I thought the third was a cracking goal but it was scored on the counter and was made through good football, fourth was probably avoidable but again we over committed.

Too many had an off day and it happens, if we get dicked 4-0 on Monday I'll get worried but that's unlikely to happen.