MATCH: Aldershot Town (A) 24/08/24

50 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

There's also a desperation from some who worship at the altar of Saint Micky to completely absolve him from blame from anything...

There’s not much he can do once the players are out on the pitch but IMO his substitutions rarely have the desired effect and generally look to be like for like hopeful gambles rather than astute tactical changes.

Once again we were actually worse after the subs had come on yesterday.

We need a performance tomorrow now, if we lose then the pressure on MM will no doubt intensify still further.

We’ll  be back down in mid table 6 points behind Gateshead and possibly 8 behind Eastleigh after just 5 games!

We wanted to be up in the top 7 all season. It’s early days but we haven’t played anyone of note as yet. The Gateshead match will give us a clearer indication of where we’re at for sure!

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

What do you want Mellon to do, he came out apologised, protected the players quite well, asked the fans to stick with it and gave a perfectly balanced interview on the back of a disappointing defeat, it won't be the last time he has to do that this season either.

Agree, and I thought Mellon gave a typically canny commentary post-match, recognising the supporters, identifying what a lot of us are saying in that we gave away cheap goals and confirming he'll continue to do what he's paid to do.

I also respect him for not digging out Fondop. We all know up top is a problem. If Norwood is on the field, with his movement and all the rest, we probably take our chances and Aldershot are comfortably beaten. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They found a way of getting in behind us on numerous occasions down either flanks, found pockets between defence and midfield and didn't allow Monthe to break out from the back. I'd say he sussed us out...

Nah I'm not having that.

We had no issues with them getting in behind us and causing us any problems at all until we started chasing the game at 60 mins and pushed the wingbacks and midfield further forward. Then I agree we got caught out wide and behind.

Don't think their manager is any Pep sussing is out....we just invited it on ourselves and they did it.

Playing one up top seems a problem if we go behind...

12 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

I'll take that as a no, then... 

Take it as you want pal, I'm not scrolling back through months of different threads to pick out examples when what I'm saying is inarguable, the guy is getting a free ride in some quarters when other less experienced managers were castigated, the calendar year I think now reads W7 D10 L7, the definition of mediocrity.

MM has been in charge for 39 games. 

His record. 

W - 15

D -  13

L -  11

Win Ratio of 38.4

PPG - 1.48

It’s not promotion form, but nor is he having a mare.

I’d say he’s doing ok overall, and is doing enough to keep his head above the water. But ok isn’t sustainable for a club of our size in this division. 

Hoping yesterday was a blip in an otherwise good start. Big game tomorrow. 

It does make Monday a much bigger match than it should be now. And Alty in a week. We might see Norwood and Garner pushed into action much sooner than MM was expecting to. I'm also expecting to see GN9 squeezed out into cameo off-the-bench appearances from Monday onwards. Yesterday and Tuesday showed us he isn't clinical or enough of a consistant threat to deserve a starting space. He's good in bursts and later in a match when players tire such as last season at Solihull and Hartlepool.

Funnily enough I think this season our home form will be much stronger than our away form.

Guest O.A.F.C.
3 hours ago, League one forever said:

His record. 

W - 15

D -  13

L -  11

Win Ratio of 38.4

PPG - 1.48

I’d say he’s doing ok overall, and is doing enough to keep his head above the water. But ok isn’t sustainable for a club of our size in this division. 

He needs sacking. Get someone in who has the ability to make tactical alterations when the game needs them, and who doesn't tinker with the first 11 unnecessarily.

This is what Stockport did when they sacked Simon Rusk, otherwise they would probably still be trying to get out of this league today.

Edited by O.A.F.C.

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

His record. 

W - 15

D -  13

L -  11

Win Ratio of 38.4

PPG - 1.48

So in other words, ok isn’t ok.

Guest O.A.F.C.
3 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

He needs sacking. Get someone in who has the ability to make tactical alterations when the game needs them, and who doesn't tinker with the first 11 unnecessarily.

This is what Stockport did when they sacked Simon Rusk, otherwise they would probably still be trying to get out of this league today.

Instead they are top of the league in League One 🙄

Guest O.A.F.C.
2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Only took them 14 years and a relegation to the NLN too!

6 months once they found the right man.  

Edited by O.A.F.C.

Guest O.A.F.C.
Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Only took them 11 years and a relegation to the NLN to find the right man too!

Not really, the club was took over in January 2020 and since then they have been promoted 3 times

Just now, O.A.F.C. said:

Not really, the club was took over in January 2020 and since then they have been promoted 3 times

Point is it took them 11 years to get out of non-league, and a lot of patience and investment. You make it sound like they just appointed a manager one day immediately after relegation and went straight back up. 

Sacking someone 4 games into the season after one defeat would be mental btw 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Point is it took them 11 years to get out of non-league, and a lot of patience and investment. You make it sound like they just appointed a manager one day immediately after relegation and went straight back up. 

Sacking someone 4 games into the season after one defeat would be mental btw 

Stockport was pretty much going bust and was part-time before 2020. The new owner got them up the leagues very easily 

45 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

So in other words, ok isn’t ok.

There’s context. 

Was ok- ok last season? Just about. He should’ve had us at least 7th, but It would’ve been phenomenal to take us up from where we were. Very rarely are sides instantly transformed and turned into a winning machine. 

He’s had now two transfer windows, and the team is his. 

So, this season - ok is not ok. But what I’m not going to do is having a breakdown because we lost a game. Win tomorrow and it’s a really good start. Equally- If he’s doing just ok after 15 games, and we’re mid-table. He’ll be under big pressure. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

Stockport was pretty much going bust and was part-time before 2020. The new owner got them up the leagues very easily 

I wouldn't say it was "very easily". It took a lot of investment. At one point they signed L1 Bolton's captain whilst they were in the NL

57 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

‘Oldham Sack Mellon after first defeat of the season, after allowing him several new signings over the summer’

In other words- laughable.

I will assess over a period of time, not a knee jerk reactions to one result. 

When he came in, he had us in the playoffs by Feb. Under no pressure. 

Didn’t win a game in the last 10- under big pressure. 

Started the season well, and just lost one game. Far too early to be making silly calls to sack him. 

Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I wouldn't say it was "very easily". It took a lot of investment. At one point they signed L1 Bolton's captain whilst they were in the NL

We are not far behind them on the spending at NL level. The owner just invested in the right people unlike us.