MATCH: Aldershot Town (A) 24/08/24

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Maybe Stockport fans don't throw their toys out of the pram and write off entire seasons after one defeat 

They did exactly that with Simon Rusk after losing to Notts County. They ended up winning 3 games in a row after that and lost to Halifax and still called for him to go. 

3 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

They did exactly that with Simon Rusk after losing to Notts County. They ended up winning 3 games in a row after that and lost to Halifax and still called for him to go. 

Ah well, let's sack him then. It's not worked the other 32 times we've done it but it'll defo work this time!!

What's that Einstein quote about doing the same thing expecting different results?

Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Ah well, let's sack him then. It's not worked the other 32 times we've done it but it'll defo work this time!!

What's that Einstein quote about doing the same thing expecting different results?

Im not saying we should sack him but people have this weird illusion that only Oldham fans do this. We win tomorrow and we are going in the right direction with Mellon. Fail to pick up points in the next 2 and we should be worried especially with the investment that's been put into the team 

2 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

Im not saying we should sack him but people have this weird illusion that only Oldham fans do this. We win tomorrow and we are going in the right direction with Mellon. Fail to pick up points in the next 2 and we should be worried especially with the investment that's been put into the team 

Apologies think I mixed you up with another poster from the previous page. I don't disagree, i do think some fans think it's a magic fix to all our problems every time though

6 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

but people have this weird illusion that only Oldham fans do this.

Very true. It’s definitely not just us. 

6 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

We win tomorrow and we are going in the right direction with Mellon. Fail to pick up points in the next 2 and we should be worried especially with the investment that's been put into the team 

That’s just ridiculous though isn’t it? 

Win one - he’s doing well. 

Lose the next two- we need to worry. 

What happens if he wins 3 on the bounce after that. 

Any assessment on him or any manager needs to be in 10/15 games spells, good sides average two points a game. Let’s see how many points we have after that time, and the facts will speak for themselves. 

Edited by League one forever

Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Apologies think I mixed you up with another poster from the previous page. I don't disagree, i do think some fans think it's a magic fix to all our problems every time though

Some fans are mental seen a few wanting Mellon sacked for not playing 2 upfront like that's ever worked for us before

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Very true. It’s definitely not just us. 

That’s just ridiculous though isn’t it? 

Win one - he’s doing well. 

Lose the next two- we need to worry. 

What happens if he wins 3 on the bounce after that. 

Any assessment on him or any manager needs to be in 10/15 games spells, good sides average two points a game. Let’s see how many points we have after time, and the facts will speak for themselves. 

The aim is to win the league not to be in the playoffs mix which can be anyones game. Not saying sack him after the 2 games but the negativity will creep in from the fans and players. If it its a shitshow in them two games people have the right to worry. 

The aim is to win the league not to be in the playoffs mix which can be anyones game.

Of course it’s the aim, but do you think they’d sack him if he finished 4th and lost in the playoffs? I don’t. 

10th

4th

He would get the final year of his contract to try and finish the job. 

The only way he’s getting sacked is if he’s really struggling. 

7 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

it its a shitshow

Aye. But it depends on the performance. If we play great and lose by the odd goal, it’s not a big worry. Plenty of time to get it right.  If he’s losing games with abject performances. Then that is a concern. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

Other fans definitely do this. A number of Wrexham fans were on film talking about what a dinosaur Parkinson was, how his subs were shit and they were going nowhere with him in charge.

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Of course it’s the aim, but do you think they’d sack him if he finished 4th and lost in the playoffs? I don’t. 

10th

4th

He would get the final year of his contract to try and finish the job. 

The only way he’s getting sacked is if he’s really struggling. 

Aye. But it depends on the performance. If we play great and lose by the odd goal, it’s not a big worry. Plenty of time to get it right.  If he’s losing games with abject performances. Then that is a concern. 

4th would be a massive improvement so that wouldnt be to bad. I agree depends on the performances odd goal but playing well wont be a worry yet

• Like 1

If, as many are claiming on here, 4-1 wasn’t a fair reflection then I expect a competitive performance tomorrow and a result that reflects that.

We lost 5-1 away to Oxford in our promo season. Teams that go up sometimes look shite and get battered.  

Let’s call yesterday our Oxford shall we. I sure hope that that’s what it was. 

Edited by AndyB2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

We are not far behind them on the spending at NL level. The owner just invested in the right people unlike us. 

It certainly isn't Mellons fault that Darren introduced Unsworth to the Rothwells nor is it Mellons fault a chunk of his player budget this season is financing some awful pieces of business he inherited. 

Are you and others really suggesting we should spend our time debating whether we should be keeping Mellon before we've reached the end of August, honestly our fans appetite to push failure is frightening at times it's almost like they want it so they can come on here telling us they told us so, weird support that when we've largely looked solid if not spectacular so far this season and could have 10pts from 15 come 5pm tomorrow. I

I'm really not sure what some fans want because if anyone really expects us to win every game this season without any blips then they are in for a rude awakening.  Oh and regardless Mellon will be here as long as he wants, not a chance the board will be listening to those who'd rather sadly see us fail to prove their point.

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Other fans definitely do this. A number of Wrexham fans were on film talking about what a dinosaur Parkinson was, how his subs were shit and they were going nowhere with him in charge.

I think that will stop here when we finally win something. Wrexham was starving for some success just like us. Win something and the odd battering wont get a big reaction. 

2 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

If, as many are claiming on here, 4-1 wasn’t a fair reflection then I expect a competitive performance tomorrow and a result that reflects that.

We lost 5-1 away to Oxford in our promo season. Teams that go up sometimes look shite and get battered.  

Let’s call yesterday our Oxford shall we. I sure hope that that’s what it was. 

We lost 7-2 at Sheff Utd in that December as well, it happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

We lost 7-2 at Sheff Utd in that December as well, it happens.

That was in the zenith data and they were in the top flight 

Edited by AndyB2

Guest O.A.F.C.
39 minutes ago, League one forever said:

‘Oldham Sack Mellon after first defeat of the season, after allowing him several new signings over the summer’

In other words- laughable.

I will assess over a period of time, not a knee jerk reactions to one result. 

When he came in, he had us in the playoffs by Feb. Under no pressure. 

Didn’t win a game in the last 10- under big pressure. 

Started the season well, and just lost one game. Far too early to be making silly calls to sack him. 

It happens.  Preston parted company with Ryan Lowe after one match

Just now, O.A.F.C. said:

It happens.  Preston parted company with Ryan Lowe after one match

It doesn’t. 

Lowe wanted out at the end of last season because of the fans getting on his back. Ridsdale convinced him to stay. After the first game Lowe went back to him and said he wanted out, Ridsdsle didn’t want him to go. 

2 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

That was in the zenith data and they were in the top flight 

We still got battered and we were giving most top flight teams a game in those days as you know the gulf wasn't like it is today.

Honestly if forums existed in the late 80's Royle wouldn't have stood a chance with some who post on here.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It certainly isn't Mellons fault that Darren introduced Unsworth to the Rothwells nor is it Mellons fault a chunk of his player budget this season is financing some awful pieces of business he inherited. 

Are you and others really suggesting we should spend our time debating whether we should be keeping Mellon before we've reached the end of August, honestly our fans appetite to push failure is frightening at times it's almost like they want it so they can come on here telling us they told us so, weird support that when we've largely looked solid if not spectacular so far this season and could have 10pts from 15 come 5pm tomorrow. I

I'm really not sure what some fans want because if anyone really expects us to win every game this season without any blips then they are in for a rude awakening.  Oh and regardless Mellon will be here as long as he wants, not a chance the board will be listening to those who'd rather sadly see us fail to prove their point.

So we cant judge the manager because its Micky Mellon but when its Unsworth and Selim its fine? Micky Mellon should not be sacked but if bad results keep coming you cant just keep him because sacking managers before didnt work. He's here to win stuff. 

So we cant judge the manager because its Micky Mellon but when its Unsworth and Selim its fine? Micky Mellon should not be sacked but if bad results keep coming you cant just keep him because sacking managers before didnt work. He's here to win stuff. 

But i will give him more time because the board have screwed him over and not got him a striker. Going into the season with Mike Fondop and Alex reid as your options is a disgrace 

Edited by oafcmb

Guest O.A.F.C.
4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It doesn’t. 

Lowe wanted out at the end of last season because of the fans getting on his back. Ridsdale convinced him to stay. After the first game Lowe went back to him and said he wanted out, Ridsdsle didn’t want him to go. 

Maybe that's where we went wrong then after last season's end of season shit show

Guest O.A.F.C.
2 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

But i will give him more time because the board have screwed him over and not got him a striker. Going into the season with Mike Fondop and Alex reid as your options is a disgrace 

It was him who didn't want a head of recruitment to help