MATCH: Gateshead (H) 26/08/24

Not seen a new thread anywhere so here goes.

I'd personally go for;

Hudson

Hobson

Raglan

Monthe

Ogle

Gardner

Conlon

Caprice

Kay

Charsley 

Fondop

Subs

Maloney

Sutton

Kitching 

Uchegbulam 

Lundstrum

Dolan

Norwood

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hope rather than expect Dolan will start. 

Given the two day turnaround, he could just provide that extra dynamic spark we will need from the off. 

He’s on a short term loan, he’ll be really keen to impress so let’s get him out there with fresh legs and see what he can do. 

Edited by hollandspies

This'll be the best team we've played so far and a good indicator of whether we can hack it at the top of the league.  I'm surprised but impressed that Gateshead are still doing so well, they seem to be a club that always has something thrown at them yet manage to keep their team playing stylish football for this level regardless of the players they lose.

It's nowhere near a must-win point in the season, but it's a yardstick for where our squad is heading.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

My starting eleven would be: 

Hudson, Ogle, Hobson, Raglan, Monthe, Uchegbulam, Conlon, Charsley, Kay, Dolan & Norwood

Bench:

Moloney, Kitching, Lundstram, Gardner, Hammond, Fondop Caprice

Norwood's available?

Know nothing about Dolan but a Fleetwood ST holder I know simply described him as "class - really good on the ball". On that basis he surely has to start? I know someone has said it's not a "must win" but, to keep the home fans on board, I'd say it's a "mustn't lose" coupled with a good, energetic performance.

C'mon Latics ! 

3 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Know nothing about Dolan but a Fleetwood ST holder I know simply described him as "class - really good on the ball". On that basis he surely has to start? I know someone has said it's not a "must win" but, to keep the home fans on board, I'd say it's a "mustn't lose" coupled with a good, energetic performance.

C'mon Latics ! 

Yeah i’ve thought similar. It’d be stupid to say it’s a must win game so early in the season but after a poor defeat 2 days ago another loss turns our “good” start to the season to a very average one and so it is an important game. 

8 minutes ago, daniel said:

Yeah i’ve thought similar. It’d be stupid to say it’s a must win game so early in the season but after a poor defeat 2 days ago another loss turns our “good” start to the season to a very average one and so it is an important game. 

A defeat turns an average one into a bad one

They’re a consistently decent side and have had more success in the last 3 seasons than we’ve had in over 30!

Nat Lge N champions in 21/22, FA Trophy runners up in 22/23, and despite financial problems and losing their manager and their best players in January still managed to win the FA Trophy in 23/24 and qualify for the EFL playoffs too!

Since being relegated to the National League we’ve failed to beat them in 4 attempts!

To show we’ve made the necessary progress we absolutely need to beat these today!

Defend and give the ball away like we did at times on Saturday and it could be a long afternoon....

I'd be surprised to see Norwood or Dolan until at least 60 mins. 

Only change for me would be Gardiner in for Lindstrom.

Micky will I'm sure keep the same team in the main and give them the chance to make amends.

1-1 for me.

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

They’re a consistently decent side and have had more success in the last 3 seasons than we’ve had in over 30!

Nat Lge N champions in 21/22, FA Trophy runners up in 22/23, and despite financial problems and losing their manager and their best players in January still managed to win the FA Trophy in 23/24 and qualify for the EFL playoffs too!

Since being relegated to the National League we’ve failed to beat them in 4 attempts!

To show we’ve made the necessary progress we absolutely need to beat these today!

signing the two ‘best’ players from Gateshead and Altrincham and seeing them shrug it off with ease and come back stronger will haunt me for a while. What a mess by unsworth and Thompson 

Think this will be a tightly contested game. Hopefully we start on the front foot, starve them of possession for a while and score early on. 

Don't want Gateshead get a foothold of the game and pass, pass and pass some more from kick off.  

Going for a win, 2-1.  

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

signing the two ‘best’ players from Gateshead and Altrincham and seeing them shrug it off with ease and come back stronger will haunt me for a while. What a mess by unsworth and Thompson 

Sorry but Dan Ward wasn't Gatesheads best player at all, he wouldn't even be one of their top midfielders, Wearne, Booty and Olley are all better midfielders in a number of ways you are just making things up now and anyone with half a brain cell would have taken Conn-Clarke over Lundstrum just based on his performances against us.

I'd be one of the first to point out the damage the Unsworth/Thompson appoints did to us and still is but suggesting we cherry picked Gateshead and Alty's best players is just bollocks. 

Edited by yarddog73

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Not seen a new thread anywhere so here goes.

I'd personally go for;

Hudson

Hobson

Raglan

Monthe

Ogle

Gardner

Conlon

Caprice

Kay

Charsley 

Fondop

Subs

Maloney

Sutton

Kitching 

Uchegbulam 

Lundstrum

Dolan

Norwood

I think there’s a good chance he’ll go with this. Then you’ve got 3 “game changer” players on the bench in Uchegbulam, Norwood and Dolan. 

With the injuries we’ve had there’s not been much available for the bench other than like for like replacements which have paid off sometimes, but not all the times. 

Bit worried about today. We've undoubtedly added better players to the team and there's more energy both in defence and attack but we've created precious few chances in the games I've watched. If we continue with the high wing backs it's predictable and we've already seen opposition managers anticipate it and exploit it. I guess the hope has to be that when Norwood comes back that his movement will create more chances and more goals.

Big test today, hope some fears and concerns are assuaged. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spanishfly said:

C'mon Latics ! 

It definitely is a must win for me to keep the fans on side but more importantly to stay amongst it up the table. 

I don't think today is a must win by any stretch, although it's probably important that we see a response to Saturday's result, I think that would be said at any stage of the season. It's also really important that the fans stay onside and are patient, I couldn't make it last Tuesday but it sounds like it was a really patient and positive atmosphere and I don't want us to slip into bad habits. That's not to say if we're being turned over there shouldn't be some reaction

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

13 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Bit worried about today.

I’m with you. 

The result isn’t all important at this stage but the performance definitely is. We need a front foot, high tempo performance. . and I’m concerned we’ll go into our shells a bit after Saturday, 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m with you. 

The result isn’t all important at this stage but the performance definitely is. We need a front foot, high tempo performance. . and I’m concerned we’ll go into our shells a bit after Saturday, 

Not so much in our shells but an away match mentality. I think there will be plenty of times we don't have the ball and as long as we don't concede I think the team will be content with that, in the hope we sneak one later on.

I just hope the crowd stay patient and as you said, today is about the result.