MATCH: Gateshead (H) 26/08/24

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The board must be concerned about the drop in gates.

The BH fixture last season saw 6815 in attendance, with 125 coming from Solihull. Yesterday, we had 5583, with 213 from Gateshead. That's a drop of well over 1000 fans...

We don’t win enough and people will get bored. Pay on the day prices are a huge issue. 

I don’t take certain family and friends as a result of the POTD prices. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The BH fixture last season saw 6815 in attendance, with 125 coming from Solihull. Yesterday, we had 5583, with 213 from Gateshead. That's a drop of well over 1000 fans...

It seems like we have a steady 5.5k for home games - the drop in attendance is down to the poor finish to last season, the fact that its season three in the NL and the euphoria of the new ownership starting to wane from some.

The PotD prices don’t help and are simply too high for the level of football. 

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yep exactly this. Problem of not winning at home increasing prices on admission and food 

I'm quite the fan of Raglan, but he has us defending so deep at times. This means the gap between midfield and defence is quite big and clever teams put players in the pocket to get on the ball -Aldershot did it on Saturday and Gateshead in the first half yesterday...

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

NLTV has been a thing throughout our time in the NL hasn't it...?

Yeah true, be interesting to see if viewers numbers have increased on there from our first season to this though. 

Don’t think the fans are lost so to speak, but as a few have said POTD and food is high and the end to last doesn’t help. It’s easier to just turn the telly off. . . 

We just need to win, and people will get off the sofa again. 

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

When all the Victor Meldrew's have departed, it'll be far quieter but on the flip side, they'll be less money going into the clubs coffers,

Old age is a terrible thing, grumpiness is only the beginning.

it actually isn't just old men that do it, lve seen all demographics at it. their lives must be shite or sumat.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

hopefully.

£25 is total bonkers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Interesting that people think Lundstram had a good game. I thought he was extremely poor, especially first half. 

He was better second half for sure but I wouldn't describe his performance as poor and certainly not extremely poor, in fact I'd say he had a better game and made more impact that Conlon for instance who he played alongside. I prefer him more advanced pressing but he's pretty toothless in front of goal.

• Like 1

Lundstram's second half was better than his first. But he treats the ball like a hot potato and doesn't really know what to do with the ball. A good example was when he got the ball 40 odd yards out, their keeper was in no man's land and he didn't know whether to shoot or pass.

I quite like the shape Mellon has us set up in, but it needs refining. Gardner as one of the 10s behind Norwood was an odd choice. I think to get the best out of Norwood there he has to be surrounded by legs, and Gardner cannot offer that. It also led to us losing control in the centre of midfield. 

I thought Ogle adapted well after the first 15 minutes when he was really on the back foot. 

Can we improve on Hobson? He cannot bring the ball forward like Monthe does on the other side, and his distribution is really poor. Perhaps Raglan on the right, and then someone a bit quicker in the middle would also stop us dropping too deep. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Interesting that people think Lundstram had a good game. I thought he was extremely poor, especially first half. 

Am struggling to get on board with lunstram. He seems like a fair weather player to me. 

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

it actually isn't just old men that do it, lve seen all demographics at it. their lives must be shite or sumat.

I couldn't agree more,

It's all down to the direction society is heading right now, letting your concerns be aired is one thing but booing doesn't happen in my world and never will,

I keep it mainly to myself, with the occasional exception to when a blatantly obvious refereeing decision goes against us that I can't accept, who'd be a ref or liner?

Easier at home because the boss tells me to reign it in or else 😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

I'd say the sad as fuck weapons were the losers who applauded them after that first half shower of shite  

The 1st half which we were the better side for the last 20 minutes. 

55 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He was better second half for sure but I wouldn't describe his performance as poor and certainly not extremely poor, in fact I'd say he had a better game and made more impact that Conlon for instance who he played alongside. I prefer him more advanced pressing but he's pretty toothless in front of goal.

That is fair. I think switching him and Gardner would be best. Lundstram is at his best when driving with the ball at players. I don’t see him as the deep midfield player picking the ball up from the centre backs. 

• Like 2

The press would be better with Hammond ... who against Braintree had a terrific game pressing alongside Charsley and also fprced the save that Mikey put in for no 3. He has the same engine Charsley seems to have in that he can run all day. Granted he is not the finished article but with Conlan  and Gardener deeper we were more balanced. Gardener had a bad game on Monday and looked leggy (2 games in three days) Dolan looked promising when he came on. If we are waiting on T's to be crossed and I's to be dotted on Khan or if we need to get rid of Reid/Hogan/Kitching before we sign him or if there is a striker on his way from another club on loan, then it was a gamble that Mellon took and it looks to have paid off as we are a win from second. I thought we controlled the game fo 6 mins yesterday after gifting the Heed the first thirty. 

I think Lundstrum has shown quite abit of improvement, I'd even go as far to say that from the players that were here from last year he's the one thats Improved the most he looks alot more confident and is showing that by his desire to get on the ball more.

In each of the 3 home games I've seen we've been the better team over the 90 minutes. I've been slightly concerned about not turning good possession and periods of play into goals in the last few games, whether that's getting a few of the forwards upto speed or if its something deeper I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me if once Norwood and Garner are fully fit or if/when the 2 potential new signings Stones and Kahn happen then I wouldn't be surprised if we really click and start to rattle off the wins.

8 points from the first 5 is a satisfactory start it's not sensational but it's not bad either we are not having to play too much catch up with the sides at the top but it could be better. We are more pleasing on the eye than the last 2 seasons where we've been very much result grinders. We are about 90% there to getting a promotion winning side, we just need that extra bit more to get us over the line in games hopefully it will come soon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, josh_latics said:

I quite like the shape Mellon has us set up in, but it needs refining. Gardner as one of the 10s behind Norwood was an odd choice.

It bemused me that. We played pretty much the same shape against Braintree but he had DG and Conlon at the base of the midfield box with Hammond and Charsley up top, harrassing the opposition. To be fair to Gardner, his effort is unquestionable but he simply doesn't have the energy to sustain it other than short bursts. Him and Conlon with their range of passing should always be deeper lying IMO. I think Khan will play the role higher up the pitch with Charsley eventually with Hammond swapping in with one of them to retain our freshness. Conlon, Gardner and Lundstram will fluctuate too as the deeper midfielders.

I like how, once everyone is fit, we have a lot of flexible options to sustain a long season and players coming on who should make a difference in stalemates.

19 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It bemused me that. We played pretty much the same shape against Braintree but he had DG and Conlon at the base of the midfield box with Hammond and Charsley up top, harrassing the opposition. To be fair to Gardner, his effort is unquestionable but he simply doesn't have the energy to sustain it other than short bursts. Him and Conlon with their range of passing should always be deeper lying IMO. I think Khan will play the role higher up the pitch with Charsley eventually with Hammond swapping in with one of them to retain our freshness. Conlon, Gardner and Lundstram will fluctuate too as the deeper midfielders.

I like how, once everyone is fit, we have a lot of flexible options to sustain a long season and players coming on who should make a difference in stalemates.

Where does Dolan fit in?